WHY? What is the Trumpists' motivation?

By:  Bob Nelson  •  one week ago  •  95 comments

WHY? What is the Trumpists' motivation?

What is going on in the mind of a Trumpist, two months from the election?

To comment, please join group Be Reasonable!

Be Reasonable!

A significant portion of the American people unconditionally supports President Trump. I for one cannot understand how anyone can do that.

Could someone please explain?

384 The Rules apply!

- Read before you write

- Address the topic : “What goes on in the mind of a Trumpist these days?”

- Make thoughtful comments . One liners will be deleted.

- Be polite . If this is too difficult… just go away!

- Tell us what you think; do not attempt to tell us what anyone else thinks.

512 We’re getting very close to the election, now… and I for one still do not understand what motivates a Trump supporter. I’d like to collect your ideas.

As I have said before, I think there are several different sub-genres within Trump Nation:

TrumpTrueBelievers TM . These are cultists, similar to those who drank Jim Jones’s kool-aid. They believe whatever their prophet tells them. This is an observation, which I do not understand at all. These people, like all Americans, have heard the President’s successive declarations about Covid (for example). They have heard him say completely contradictory things. They believed him absolutely when he said “X” yesterday, and now they believe him absolutely as he says “opposite of X” today. They hear these total contradictions with their own ears… but their absolute faith in the President’s Word is unwavering. How is this possible?

TrumpApostles TM . These are the people who translate the President’s message, for the TrumpTrueBelievers TM . Fox News is undoubtedly the most important, but there are many, many other online sources. NewsTalker TrumpTrueBelievers TM find their seeds here.

TrumpHucksters TM . Throughout the right-wing subculture there are hucksters: people who make a living selling – literally - to TrumpTrueBelievers TM . Everything from baseball caps to books to mugs to T-shirts to speaking appearances. Often, the line between TrumpHucksters TM and TrumpApostles TM is blurred.

I suppose that part of the the motivations of each of these sub-genres is different.

TrumpTrueBelievers TM are by far the largest group. They are his voters. What motivates them?

- Racism. Racism is a very ugly thing, so most people refuse to see it in themselves. It maybe – almost always is – expressed as something else.

- Hero worship. Trumpism is a cult of the personality. Trump is The Prophet. Trump speaks the Truth. He is literally adored by TrumpTrueBelievers TM .

- Authoritarianism. Some people do not want responsibility of any kind, so they cede theirs to The Glorious Leader.

These are my thoughts. Any of them may be wrong. You are welcome to challenge them… politely and rationally...

Why do we see so much rage in them?

Why do they speak so much about "hate"?

1  author  Bob Nelson    one week ago

Keep it clean, please!

The Magic Eight Ball
1.2  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    one week ago

I'll be your huckleberry...

Why do we see so much rage in them?

because the left is burning cities while destroying countless lives.

Why do they speak so much about "hate"?
  • because,, we fukin hate people burning our cities
  • because we hate people burning other people's businesses
  • because we hate people having their lives destroyed by the "peaceful" left.

as for things you do not understand,  ya missed one.

why won't the left win in nov?

violent idiots who hate our country do not get to govern it.

Bob Nelson
1.2.1  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @1.2    one week ago
  • because,, we fukin hate people burning our cities
  • because we hate people burning other people's businesses
  • because we hate people having their lives destroyed by the "peaceful" left.

I could understand this... if it was significant.

• Zero cities have burned.
  • Perhaps a half-dozen businesses burned. Collateral damage. Negligeable compared to people being shot.
  • What lives were destroyed? I know some people were killed... but they were Black, so their Lives Do Not Matter. Right?

Basically, you are terribly upset... by things that never happened.

Outraged! Outraged, i tell you!  ... by a couple of fires... but not by people being shot.

Interesting morality.

MUVA
1.2.2  MUVA  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.2.1    one week ago

A half dozen is 6 you know that right here is a little truth for you it's way more than 6.

9bb4639a-9b7f-4231-b092-63ce0c930c43-AP20152569578961.jpg?width=660&height=417&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

img5822*750xx4032-2268-0-378.jpg

there are three in just 2 pictures there have been hundreds burned and looted talk about morality or the lack of it.

MUVA
1.2.3  MUVA  replied to  MUVA @1.2.2    one week ago

buring.jpg

1.2.4  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  MUVA @1.2.3    one week ago

I did a little research... and you're tight; There were a lot more than a half-dozen.

It's hard to nail down a number, because some counts include minor damage... but "buildings destroyed" probably numbered at least fifty.

That certainly justifies killing some Black people.

MUVA
1.2.5  MUVA  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.2.4    one week ago

Didn’t say it justified any killing someone doesn’t justify burning a unrelated person business does it.

2  Buzz of the Orient    one week ago

Perhaps my observations are too limited, because contrary to most of the members on this site, my view of Trump's disciples is limited to those I encounter here on NT and on other internet sites, as I have never met with a live human Trump supporter.  What I have taken particular note of is their total inflexibility, in that they will NEVER admit to Trump EVER doing or saying anything wrong or bad.  So I ask myself WHY?  I have come to the conclusion that they fear shame and the loss of membership in their choir, and they know that should they openly be critical of their demigod they would be shamed and perhaps even ostracized by their fellow disciples.  Therefore their loyalty is locked, and guaranteed.

Proving their loyalty is important, and that could be an explanation for some who behave with excessive and radical zeal, like that young guy who killed a couple of protesters and wounded another.  Having once been a director of a mood disorder organization, and having some personal knowledge of such mental illness, I see a problem for some of them, because in the event that their demigod should actually LOSE in November, it's possible that they could become unable to suffer such a loss, become unstable, clinically depressed, even suicidal, Another possibility would be, in the event of loss, that infused with the belief already established by their demigod that the Democrats had criminally fixed the election, they might go on a rampage and cause destruction and death.  It's worrisome, because if those who would have voted Democrat come to that conclusion they might decide not to vote.

Anyway, that's my contribution to your article.  I hope it's the kind of thing you anticipated.

2.1  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    one week ago

Thanks, Buzz. This is an excellent launching ramp.

The Magic Eight Ball
2.2  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    one week ago
Proving their loyalty is important

people only follow like that in countries like china.

our loyalty is not to trump. his loyalty is to us.

our loyalty is to our country and way of life.

trump is just the hammer we are currently using on the left.

your failure is that we do not have "leaders"   and we do not follow "leaders.

we have representatives, they follow us or they get voted out of power like we did the clintons

ol joe will fair no better in nov than hillary in did 2016 no matter how many cities the left burns.

the good news?   people have had just about enough of the lefts bs.

2.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @2.2    one week ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif ..jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

"our loyalty is not to trump. his loyalty is to us."

His loyalty is to you?  Like lying to you and misleading you is okay?

"we do not have "leaders""

No kidding!!!

The Magic Eight Ball
2.2.2  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.1    one week ago
Like lying to you and misleading you is okay?

LOL

on things that matter, trump has done everything he said he would do and more.

• tpp - dead
  • paris agreement - dead
  • wto, icc, nafta - dead, dead, dead
  • conservative judges across the map and supreme court.
  • rebuilt our military
  • better security at our border
  • stopping the endless wars
  • working for peace in the middle east instead of funding terrorists like obama did.
  • stopped using our tax money to fund the lefts violence like obama did.
  • more jobs, lower unemployment, better trade deals.

I could go on but why bother? orange man bad...  LOL

The Magic Eight Ball
2.2.3  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.1    one week ago
No kidding!!!

I will agree our system of government can get chaotic...

but it all works out in the end. the lunatic left will fail in everything they try.

there is nothing trump can do that will be worse than handing our country to leftwing lunatics who burn their own cities and destroy their neighbor's lives. electing todays left to the white house? would be insane.

• violent people who hate our country do not get to govern it.  (write that down it is on the test)

2.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @2.2.2    one week ago

You left out moving the Embassy to Jerusalem, but bullying Trudeau to redo NAFTA and his trade war tariffs and causing attacks on and harrassment of Chinese people have not made me happy.  At least he realized that his tariff on Canadian aluminum was a mistake.

As well, although I agree with peaceful protest, I despise the looting, burning, destruction and rioting whether it's in Portland or Hong Kong.

The Magic Eight Ball
2.2.5  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.4    one week ago
You left out moving the Embassy to Jerusalem,

yepp, every president before trump said they would do that and then did not.

not only did trump say he would do that, he actually did it.

nafta was not good for our country. so we elected trump to kill nafta, how you feel about that is not our problem.

2.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @2.2.5    one week ago
"not our problem."

Ah yes, that's the attitude - who gives a shit about anyone else, eh?

The Magic Eight Ball
2.2.7  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.6    one week ago

[deleted]

2.2.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @2.2.7    one week ago

I assume your "y'all" refers to me as a Canadian, since I'm not Chinese, and only a guest in China on a renewable visa.  I just read a pretty comprehensive article in Foreign Affairs that points out that your wish may not be the best bet for America.  You should read it. Just google this:

Bob Nelson
2.2.9  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @2.2.2    one week ago
  • tpp - dead
  • paris agreement - dead
  • wto, icc, nafta - dead, dead, dead
  • conservative judges across the map and supreme court.
  • rebuilt our military
  • better security at our border
  • stopping the endless wars
  • stopped using our tax money to fund the lefts violence like obama did.
  • more jobs, lower unemployment, better trade deals.

This is useful.

tpp - dead: TPP was not particularly well-loved by anyone, except big corporations, so this is indeed an accopmlishment.

paris agreement - dead: The word is burning. This was the opposite of an accomplishment.

wto, icc, nafta - dead, dead, dead: WTO is not dead. ICC is not dead. NAFTA just changed names. No accomplishments there.

conservative judges across the map and supreme court: Politicizing the judiciary is the opposite of an accomplishment.

rebuilt our military: It needed no rebuilding. He did nothing in particular.

better security at our border: Do you mean his running joke? The Wall? Paid for by Mexico?

stopping the endless wars: There are still several thousand troops in Iraq and over ten thousand in Afghanistan. That is very slow "stopping"...

working for peace in the middle east instead of funding terrorists like obama did: Your pointless lie makes the rest of this sentence not worth reading.

stopped using our tax money to fund the lefts violence like obama did: Nonsense... without the slightest  justification.

more jobs, lower unemployment, better trade deals; Fewer jobs. Higher unemployment. Unwinnable trade war with China.

This is nothing more than a laundry list of stuff Trump claims to have done. Not the most credible source, IMHO. You have factual errors, and opinions masquerading as facts. You state that these are successes, but do not justify the assertion.

Tessylo
2.2.10  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @2.2    one week ago

trumpturd is loyal to no one but himself.

He sees all his supporters as suckers and losers.

We currently do not have a leader 'president'.

That is the only time you've ever been correct, ever.

Tessylo
2.2.11  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @2.2.2    one week ago

Yes, you are correct, orange turd man bad.

You should 200,000 DEAD THANKS TO TRUMPTURD.

Everything on your list is bullshit.

Tessylo
2.2.12  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.4    one week ago

The majority of that looting, burning and destruction is not being done by the peaceful protesters.

The majority of that burning and destruction is being caused by outside agitators, right wing scum.

The Magic Eight Ball
2.2.13  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.12    5 days ago

[Deleted]

MAGA
2.2.14  MAGA  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @2.2    5 days ago

[Deleted - Off topic]

[The question is not "WHAT is Trump doing?" The question is "What is YOUR motivation?"]

MAGA
2.2.15  MAGA  replied to  MAGA @2.2.14    5 days ago

[Deleted - off topic]

MAGA
2.2.16  MAGA  replied to  MAGA @2.2.14    5 days ago

[deleted]

3  author  Bob Nelson    one week ago

I try to apply logic when imaging a new policy or evaluating an existing one.

What is the objective?

What are the pertinent data?

How do the data support the objective or not?

Apparently, Trumpists do not function in the same way.

bbl-1
3.1  bbl-1  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    5 days ago

Your last sentence sums it up.

I have two cousins that are ardent Trumpers.  One believes he was sent by God.  The other is a proud unapologetic racist.

4  Kavika     one week ago

Unlike Buzz, I've met quite a few Trump supporters. It seems to me the common thread that I see is that if you're a minority of any color than you're a taker. It doesn't seem to matter if you're successful financially or not. Having been the first non-white person in some neighborhoods that I've lived in over the years the dynamic is interesting to say the least.

4.1  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @4    one week ago

Racism is s-o-o-o complicated. Most people are probably unaware of what they themselves do to maintain White Privilege. Most Trumpists refuse to recognize that White Privilege even exists.

Dean Moriarty
5  Dean Moriarty    one week ago

I’m voting for him as a form of checks and balances against the Democrats. I would rather have someone like Rand Paul. I usually vote for the Libertarian candidate but this time I’m voting for Trump as a roadblock to what I consider to be socialism and theft and redistribution. Trump has also been good for the space industry which has become a large portion of our work. I do not agree with all of Trumps positions but I don’t see myself as being aligned with any of the Democrats initiatives. I really can’t see Biden as a better choice for a conservative.

5.1  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5    one week ago
socialism and theft and redistribution

Which Biden programs do you consider "socialist"?

Do you consider taxes to be "theft"?

Today in America, almost all created wealth goes to the top 1%. Do you see this as "upward redistribution"?

Dean Moriarty
5.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1    one week ago

I don't know if taxes are theft but I favor low taxes and limited government. I see programs that take from one and give to another as socialist. Biden has said he would attempt to raise taxes I'm not in favor of that. I don't buy into the nonsense that a poor man can't reach the top in America. The wealthiest man in the world Bezos is an American rages to riches story. I have no problem with the success of those on top. I have the same opportunity as they do.

MUVA
5.1.2  MUVA  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.1    one week ago

[Deleted - Off topic]

5.1.3  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.1    one week ago
 I see programs that take from one and give to another as socialist.

Redistribution is not socialism. Redistribution is its own thing. Right now, America redistributes wealth massively, to the 1%.

I don't know if taxes are theft but I favor low taxes and limited government.

That is coherent. What would you remove from the federal government, in order to lower costs and taxes?

Jeff Bezos is one data point among 325 000 000.

I have the same opportunity as they do.

Do you think that every baby born in America has the same opportunities?

Dean Moriarty
5.1.4  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.3    one week ago

I oppose taxes that redistribute to the wealthy and taxes that redistribute to those that are not wealthy. I know that tax revenue in relationship to GDP has remained fairly steady over the last fifty years but government spending in relation to the GDP has exploded. I see that as a spending problem not a taxation problem. No I do not think every baby born has the same opportunities and I give a large amount of credit for my personal success to the lessons learned and experiences I had with my parents. I believe Bezos had it much harder than I did. I believe a child born to a single mother has a harder time than a child raised in a traditional two parent environment with a stay at home mother. It is not uncommon for two siblings that came from the same environment to end up with vastly different estate valuations at the end of their life. I believe I have the same opportunity for success as Bezos and so do the majority of Americans.

5.1.5  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.4    one week ago

Do you approve of the fact that the share of created wealth going to the already-wealthy has greatly increased over the last four decades?

You've mentioned Bezos twice. Do you consider him particularly pertinent to the debate about the repartition of wealth in America? I'm of two minds: as a person, he's a single data point... but as a fortune, he's 160 billion data points. I end up finding him exemplary of everything wrong with wealth in America.

(Thank you for participating here.)

Dean Moriarty
5.1.6  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.5    one week ago

I don’t have a problem with wealthy people doing well. I see big problems when they are losing ground then we know we are facing hard economic times and a recession or depression. Generally speaking when they do good I do good.

5.1.7  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.6    one week ago

Don't we see pain in the lower classes a lot quicker? They have no reserves to fall back on.

Here's an interesting graphic. Beware; it's a log scale.

original

Release The Kraken
5.1.8  Release The Kraken  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.7    one week ago

Median income soared to record high of $68,703 in 2019 while poverty declined

The median U.S. household income was over $68,700 in 2019, an increase of 6.8% from 2018 and the highest on record, the Census Bureau   reported   Tuesday.

The number of people in poverty in 2019 was 34.0 million, which is 4.2 million fewer people than in 2018.

Household income includes employment bonuses, payments from public assistance, interest and dividends from investment, and Social Security, among other sources.

The official poverty rate in 2019 was 10.5%, a decrease from 11.8% in 2018. This is the fifth consecutive annual decline in the national poverty rate. Since 2014, the poverty rate has fallen from 14.8% to 10.5%. The 2019 poverty rate is the lowest rate observed since estimates were initially published for 1959.

The rate of people without health insurance in 2019 was 8%, compared to 8.5% in 2018 and 7.9% in 2017. In 2019, the percentage of people with employer-provided coverage at the time of interview was slightly higher than in 2018, from 55.2% in 2018 to 55.4% in 2019. Meanwhile, all states and the District of Columbia had a lower uninsured rate in 2019 than in 2010.

Trump economic policies have done more for minorities and poor in this country than 50 years of Democrat economic policy and it's a fact.

JohnRussell
6  JohnRussell    one week ago

Donald Trump started his modern political career (he dabbled in the 90's) with his racist conspiracy theory concerning Barack Obama's birth certificate in 2011. This act encompassed all his subsequent themes, lying, stupidity, conspiracies, and exploitation of willing dupes.

A subset of all white people fear the coming day when whites will be a minority in the United States. These people make up the base of Trump's base. They are the ones who hate Black Lives Matter the most, hate "the Squad" the most, and believe that whites are the real victims of racism.

Trump supporters believe that they are the descendants of the people who made America what is was over the centuries, rugged individualism and Judeo Christian values, and unfettered "free markets".  They see the only the good parts of their ideology , but not the bad.

And Trump supporters enjoy watching Trump "humiliate" their enemies. The fact that Trump is a complete moron most of the time and a constant liar all of the time escapes them.

6.1  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @6    one week ago
Trump supporters enjoy watching Trump "humiliate" their enemies.

Is this what some call "owning the libs"? I've seen that phrase used as a laudable objective among TrumpTrueBelieversTM.

7  Trout Giggles    one week ago

I think that trmp has made it possible for the haters to come out of the woodwork and proclaim their hatred publically. Before trmp they kept to the shadows with anonymous comments on social media sites. Now people aren't ashamed to shout out their racist and bigoted ideologies.

And I do think a lot of them love "owning the libbies". They exist to see liberals heads explode. Remember the photos of outraged women with their pink hats looking like they were about to slit their own throats? Not that there was a lot of different photos. It was mostly the same one or two constantly being posted here.

7.1  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @7    one week ago
Now people aren't ashamed to shout out their racist and bigoted ideologies.

Common decency inhibits some behavior. Trump doesn't just liberate people from those inhibitions, he actually encourages that indecent behavior.

Release The Kraken
8  Release The Kraken    one week ago

When you finally hop on the MAGA train the star spangled banner plays and a tingle overwhelms your body, thoughts of individualism overtake the envious desires of Marxism. Instead of making excuses for your personal failures you take responsibility as you are driven to work and succeed on the behalf of the American nuclear family you are tasked with supporting.

It's a life changing transformation when the light of hope and American greatness emit from your body like a light to be admired by your peers. They cannot help but to ask you to share the word of MAGA with them.

Have you accepted MAGA yet?

Hop on the Train, it stops for everyone.

8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Release The Kraken @8    one week ago

devangelical
8.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1    one week ago

[deleted]

8.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @8.1.1    one week ago

deleted

Suz
8.1.3  Suz  replied to  devangelical @8.1.1    one week ago

That may have been me.  I was looking to see why I couldn't comment and I hovered over the flag.

I tell the truth.  I don't know if it is me, but if it is, it was a mistake.  I would never try to silence the opinions of others.

I apologize if it was me.

8.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Suz @8.1.3    one week ago

[deleted]

Suz
8.1.5  Suz  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.4    one week ago

[Deleted. The whole thread is off-topic.]

Dismayed Patriot
8.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Release The Kraken @8    one week ago
Instead of making excuses for your personal failures you take responsibility

When has Trump or any of his sycophants taken responsibility for anything? They blame all their issues and problems on everyone else.

What utter hogwash. That light they're seeing is from the lack of oxygen to the brain caused by having their heads shoved too far up Trumps ass.

Have you accepted MAGA yet?

The majority of Americans know we are at our greatest when we embrace diversity and work towards equality for all regardless of race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, faith or lack thereof. The MAGA crowd think we at our greatest back in the 1950's pre-Brown v Board of education, pre-civil right act and pre-voting rights act when their fantasy white Christian patriarchy was virtually unchallenged. Thankfully the majority reject the MAGA brain disease and are working towards a more perfect union.

Hop on the Train...

4244a-the-human-centipede-2-007.jpg?w=338&h=203

No thanks. That's not a train any rational American would want to 'hop' on.

arkpdx
8.2.1  arkpdx  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @8.2    one week ago
They blame all their issues and problems on everyone else.

You mean like blaming the greeks and ATMS an the Japanese earthquake and tsunami and low level goverment employees and insurance companies .... OOPS! Wait that wasn't Trump that put the blame on them! It was Obama that did that. How about that!

Tessylo
8.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @8.2    one week ago

trumpturd claims complete authority WHILE CLAIMING ZERO RESPONSIBILITY.

8.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Release The Kraken @8    one week ago

I thought proselytizing was against the TOS?

8.3.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.3    one week ago

[deleted]

MAGA
8.3.2  MAGA  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.3    5 days ago

[Deleted - No value.]

8.4  Kavika   replied to  Release The Kraken @8    one week ago

The MAGA train in real life.

119277931_158081865937651_3185918285895237638_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=tTCLDxjc8rQAX_pNIIG&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=01d2e6fba564b82bb462bd7866a8802f&oe=5F83CF77

Raven Wing
8.4.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @8.4    one week ago

Ooops! Looks like the Trump supporters will have to walk to their valuable treasure only 63 ft ahead. Sad   /s

MAGA
8.5  MAGA  replied to  Release The Kraken @8    5 days ago

You made an excellent point here.  I stand by and support your message here!  🇺🇸🦅🗽🇺🇸

9  Perrie Halpern R.A.    one week ago

There are a lot of 1 issue Trump supporters. The economy, the middle east, etc. They don't want to see the whole picture, since these are the issues they care about. Many of them are closet Trump supporters and don't talk about it.

9.1  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    one week ago

Good point.

9.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    one week ago

But those people won't admit they're one issue voters. The local drive time idiot says he's not a one issue voter but he won't vote for any democrat because democrats support abortion. Sounds like a one issue voter to me.

Abortion is a non issue for me. I don't think we're going back to the days of back alley abortions. But a healthy economy and civil rights are a big issue for me

9.2.1  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2    one week ago
a healthy economy

This is a problem: people do not know how the economy is doing, and they don't know what the President's role is. But they still have strong opinions.

Arghhhh!!

9.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.2.1    one week ago

Unemployment is still fairly high compared to what it was when he took office. The Dow goes up. The Dow goes down. Groceries are higher priced.

Maybe I don't know much about the economy but it doesn't appear too healthy to me at this time

9.2.3  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.2    one week ago
The Dow goes up. The Dow goes down

The Dow doesn't really concern most Americans:

According to Goldman Sachs, stock ownership is extremely concentrated because of the growing wealth gap in the U.S., and thus the market’s performance affects households making up the wealthiest 1% of Americans much more significantly than the other 99%. “The wealthiest 0.1% and 1% of households now own about 17% and 50% of total household equities respectively, up significantly from 13% and 39% in the late 80s,” Daan Struyven, Goldman Sachs’s chief economist said in a note earlier this week.

Employment collapsed when lots of companies closed because Covid. They won't go back to work until Covid lets them. They have no money to spend, so the economy is collapsing. This was softened over the first months by those $600 checks... which aren't coming any more. Collapsing consumer spending is not a good sign for the future.

Since there's no reason to imagine that Covid will go away (despite the good words of our President...), there's no reason to imagine that the economy will improve significantly until there's an effective vaccine.

9.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.2.3    one week ago

My retirement plan is tied up in the stock market so I care what the Dow is doing.

9.2.5  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.4    one week ago

Oh dear....

9.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @9.2.5    one week ago

Maybe I could be a Wal-Mart greeter?

9.2.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.6    one week ago

Trout,

You would have to be sunny all day to everyone. Even I would have a hard time with that, LOL!

9.2.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.2.7    one week ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Got ya! Time to rethink my career plans

9.2.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.8    one week ago

Suz
9.2.10  Suz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.2.9    one week ago

And, you wonder why.

MAGA
9.2.11  MAGA  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.2    5 days ago

Well China sabotaged it with their manufactured China virus.

MAGA
9.2.12  MAGA  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.2.4    5 days ago

Me too.  My son and my brother are open advocates for socialism and Bernie Supporters and I make a point of telling them that my future life goals, retirement, health savings account, and college funds but not my rainy day fund are all tied up in the stock market and that even as a lower middle class upper working class person my entire economic future is tied to the well being of corporate America from the small business to the largest.  They hate it when my brother in law, sister, or I say that.

Release The Kraken
9.3  Release The Kraken  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    one week ago

Trump orchestrated the greatest economy in our history and the peace deals in the Middle East are incredible. The previous administration attempted to interfere in the Israeli election and then crowned Iran with an incredible deal for Iran and only Iran.

I figured you would be a supporter of the recent peace accords in the Middle East but I could be wrong.

9.3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @9.3    one week ago

Anyone can do it the way he did it. He just deregulated everything and changed the tax code. That is not necessarily good. And you seem to forget his huge debt he created, up 6.6 trillion. Those eventually have to be paid back. So it is artificially created and anyone can do that, and then blame the problems on the next guy. On the other hand, we had a robust economy under Clinton and a low national debt.

I would think that the new peace accords would be great if it didn't depend on Israel holding true to a two-state solution, which already Bibi has said no to. So it won't hold and it's just a last minute item to look good to the 30% of Jews and evangelicals who will vote for him.

JohnRussell
9.3.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.3.1    one week ago

I could show a graph demonstrating that median household incomes always go up, , went up before Trump came in and will go up after he's gone, but I am too lazy right now.

Its the same thing as him saying that the stock market under Trump has broken records. It always breaks records, it always goes up over time.

Obama Had More Stock Market Records Than Trump

Jan 14, 2020  ·   Stock market under Obama . The Great Recession officially started in December 2007, about a year before   Obama   became President and two months after the …

MAGA
9.3.3  MAGA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.3.1    5 days ago

There will be a two state solution.  It will simply be on Israel’s terms meeting their security needs.  The Palestinian authority has repeatedly passed on peace deals that were beneficial to the Palestinian people and other Arab governments have noticed and moved on on their own to reach deals separately with Israel.  At this point the Trump plan last year is the best deal left that the PA can expect to get as they have no leverage beyond the Saudi demand for some kind of state before they follow suite and a slightly modified Trump plan with modest concessions to the Saudis on behalf of the PA will be enough to bring them along.

JohnRussell
9.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    one week ago

Donald Trump isnt fit to hold office for one day, let alone four more years.

People should disregard "issues" for this election , otherwise let's elect a computer or robot president and just have it respond to issues.

Whatever happened to "unfit for office" ?

America is falling apart right before our eyes.

9.4.1  author  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @9.4    one week ago
America is falling apart right before our eyes.

That's by your criteria, John.

An evolution toward a ruthless, White-Supremacist patriarchal plutocracy is what they apparently desire. So from their point of view... we're making progress.

jrSmiley_29_smiley_image.gif

9.4.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @9.4    one week ago

John, Everyone is different. They turn a blind eye to all his wrongdoings.

JohnRussell
9.4.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.4.2    one week ago
They turn a blind eye to all his wrongdoings.

I guess thats the problem then, isnt it?

Suz
9.4.4  Suz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.4.2    one week ago
"They turn a blind eye to all his wrongdoings."

That is such horse manure, Perrie.

9.4.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Suz @9.4.4    one week ago

Please explain how, Suz.

TᵢG
9.4.6  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @9.4    one week ago

What ... ??

9.4.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @9.4.6    one week ago

I'm beginning to think that an algorithm might do a better job....

Tessylo
9.4.8  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.4.5    one week ago

Suz won't explain anything.  She just likes to drop her little bombshells and then disappear.

MAGA
9.4.9  MAGA  replied to  JohnRussell @9.4    5 days ago

Your part of America may be falling apart before your eyes and your city certainly is but our America is rebounding, surviving, and is strong.  We live in an exceptional America!

MAGA
9.4.10  MAGA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.4.2    5 days ago

Maybe because on key issues what you call his wrong doings are why we support him.  The courts, judges, pro life, pro 2nd amendment, supports religious liberty, cutting regulations, tax cuts, support for rural America, bringing manufacturing jobs back to America, getting us to energy independence and a net energy exporter, protecting our border, promoting immigration of the legal kind, strong national defense, renewed emphasis on space exploration along with protecting our interests there with SDI and Space Force.  Expanding conservatives outreach to minorities in America with support for prison sentences reform, support for historically black colleges, choice in education, opportunity zones, and having more Asian, Hispanic, African Americans and women running for office nation wide as Republicans than ever before.  And now the emphasis on defending our history, traditions, monuments and 1776 founding.  What’s not to like?

Sean Treacy
10  Sean Treacy    one week ago

[Deleted - Off-topic

MAGA
10.1  MAGA  replied to  Sean Treacy @10    5 days ago

[deleted]

freepress
11  freepress    one week ago

They are simply doing what they have been programmed to do for years, vote Republican no matter what, no matter who. They have an idol worship mentality believing that Republicans can do no wrong. Just like they did with Bush or Nixon, they defend the indefensible, defend any lie, and accept whatever negative results come from any Republican. They are a lost cause.

Gazoo