╌>

Speech Recognition Technology -- The New Mouse For The Digital Age (Stock buy: NUAN?)

Category:  Stock Market & Investments

Via:  the-irascible-harry-krishner  •  11 years ago  •  4 comments

Speech Recognition Technology -- The New Mouse For The Digital Age (Stock buy: NUAN?)

I bet youve had an experience with speech technology and havent realized it. Im not talking about Apples (AAPL) Siri voice interface, although given sales of Apples iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 it has helped bring speech recognition technology into the forefront of the consumer mind.

Rather, Im talking about the automated voice you hear when you make a call to a bank such as Bank of America (BAC), Wells Fargo (WFC), or E-Trade (ETFC). Financial institutions arent the only ones using speech recognition technology to automate customer service, others are doing as well from utilities, consumer product companies and the like. ( Link )

Disclosure: I own shares of NUAN (and have bought more today Smile.gif ).

Disclaimer: This is not to be taken as advice to buy or sell any stock. Investing in any securities may entail the possible loss or all of your invested capital.

Related article on NT: Husband and Wife Argument - Funny Siri Commercial! Parody! (NSFW Language)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    11 years ago

A recent experience on the phone resulted in the rolling of my sleeves to do some homework on speech recognition technology and the companies behind them. That turned up Nuance Communications (NUAN), which counts Amazon (AMZN), Apple (AAPL), Samsung , Sony (SNE), FedEx (FDX), and On-Star among its exploding customer base.

Thats a great customer list but what I found as compelling was the companys patent position. As Ive learned over the years, a strong patent position makes for a formidable competitive moat and has served companies like Dolby (DLB) and Qualcomm (QCOM) rather well. Like those two companies, Nuance has a strong patent position approximately 2,800 patents and 1,100 patent applications to protect its technology. Its that combination strong technology and patent position alongside a stellar customer base that not only makes Nuance a stock to own, it also makes it a potential takeout candidate.

This article echoes a lot of my thoughhs about NUAN when I forst bought the stock a while back.

One of the risks I had thought about was the possibility of large companies with deep pockets developing their own speech recognition technology. However, there's another aspect to that--and that is that instead of investing time, effort and money onto doing that-- might one of the big players merely find it more feasible to acquire NUAN instead?`

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    11 years ago

...what I found as compelling was the companys patent position. As Ive learned over the years, a strong patent position makes for a formidable competitive moat and has served companies like Dolby (DLB) and Qualcomm (QCOM) rather well. Like those two companies, Nuance has a strong patent position approximately 2,800 patents and 1,100 patent applications to protect its technology.

I bet. Anybody that's ever had a negative experience with an electronic voice on the other end, knows the difference in quality.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Disclosure: I own shares of NUAN (and have bought more today Smile.gif ).

That was 3/27.

Great news out today (4/1 after the close): Nuance Jumps After Carl Icahn Reports 9.3% Passive Stake!!! 36.gif 36.gif 36.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert

NUAN stock plummeted today on big earnings miss.
The question , of course, is-- is this just the beginning-- is there significant further downside from here?

Or-- is this buying opportunity?

I think the later is true-- bought a bit more today at $18.93.

(P.S: I checked a while back-- Icahn bought in at $19.50)