╌>

9 Completely Worthless Collectibles . . .

Category:  Stock Market & Investments

Via:  the-irascible-harry-krishner  •  13 years ago  •  21 comments

9 Completely Worthless Collectibles . . .
f you stare at the Thomas Kinkade painting on your wall each day thinking "There's my retirement fund," prepare to pour skim lattes until you're 90 . . .

Collecting as a hobby can be a fun, worthwhile and potentially lucrative way to pass time. Amassing collectibles as investments, however, can be a disappointing endeavor yielding nothing but piles of devalued tchotchkes for the next of kin to sort through.

The founder of comic book industry bible Wizard , Gareb Shamus, said a year ago that the best advice a collector could heed was to buy what they liked and do their homework. Then again, he's also a Spider-Man collector who paid $1,700 for an issue with a cover drawn by artist Todd MacFarlane featuring the villain Sandman. The book's value jumped to between $30,000 and $40,000 when the Sandman appeared in the latest Spider-Man film:

(LINK)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    13 years ago
"To go to a store and buy one of these items at retail price ... you're losing money," Kahn says. "Cars used to depreciate 10% when you drove them off the lot, but when you take collectibles like these out of the store, you lose about 80%."

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    13 years ago

A lot does depend on the economy; and, of course doing your homework is always a must. My wife and I collect musical instruments and have had good returns on those investments until the last 3 or 4 years...it's not bad right now, but nothing like it was say 15 years ago. We have now slimmed down and actually notice that the more quality (more expensive) instruments are better investments than average ones. It seems to me that people with enough money are still willing to spend, just more judiciously. The people who had to save to buy an instrument are the ones not buying.

Krishna
Professor Expert

i think that, generally speaking, hard times hit the middle and lower classes much more severely. Most of the wealthy, while they loose a percentage of their net worth, aren't hurt as much.

I think the economy is a factor. And another factor is what's trendy-- certain schools of art for example ,rise and fall in popularity over time.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

That is true too...I have had people who are willing to pay top dollar for a guitar just because "Cheryl Crow has one just like it..." or whatever. Funny how emotional folks can sometimes get about things; it out weighs there common sense a lot.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

Talkin' about this, check out the picture on our front page and the article it links to .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    13 years ago

Larry,

What are you saying... Every woman needs a hat from the 'Queen of Soul". R.E.S.P.E.C.T!!! Hee hee!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Here is an interesting collection.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

LOL, good one Perrie!

:~)

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

That isinteresting!

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P    13 years ago

I've had a great deal of success in the sports memorabilia arena. Autographs aren't really worth much; the most valuable are the game-used items. And while waiting for them to appreciate, they make great conversation pieces.

For example, I bought a pair of batting gloves that Derek Jeter used. Bought them about 5 years ago for $350. I haven't sold them yet, but the broker came around after he got his 3,000th hit with a $1,500 offer. When he retires, they'll go up. When he is inducted into the Hall of Fame, they'll rise in price again. Right now, I'm looking around at some Willie Mays items. He's in his 80s, and when he passes, the memorabilia will spike. But that's expensive stuff. If you're looking for some more moderately priced items, you can look at Ken Griffey Jr. items. He's between retirement and the Hall of Fame.

High end in baseball stuff has never sagged. Not even in this environment.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Some of those old toasters were pretty amazing!

wmolaw
Professor Silent
link   wmolaw    13 years ago

That is pretty much true in ever area of collecting, from high end art to thimbles.

wmolaw
Professor Silent
link   wmolaw    13 years ago

I have a client that just spent close to 750,000 for a uniform, can you believe that?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Wait... what kind of uniform and from what war? That is a ton of money for a uniform.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Check out this collection that was on "Sunday Morning" Super fun!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    13 years ago

I have tried numerous times to get that video to work w/o success .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

I had it working and then it stopped. Here is the link

OK, I just tested and this link works.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    12 years ago

I had it working and then it stopped. Here is the link

OK, I just tested and this link works.

Fascinating video!

Minnie Apolis
Freshman Silent
link   Minnie Apolis    12 years ago

Too bad page 2 of this article has disappeared. Weird Yahoo.

I was told about one collector of plates. He had I think thousands of those dog breed plates, which he thought he could sell at dog shows and the like. He wanted to sell some to a dealer, but he wouldn't even take them. It might take the guy decades to sell off what he had, and then there are issues of storage. Oh well, I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent
link   Neale Osborn    12 years ago

I find Gold, Silver, and Copper to be quite collectible! Grin.gif

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent
link   Neale Osborn    12 years ago

DON'T LET GRUMP SEE THAT VIDEO!!!!! He LOVES his toaster!