╌>

Fools Rush In (When will They Ever Learn?)

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  9 years ago  •  45 comments

Fools Rush In (When will They Ever Learn?)
Once again the corporate media tars a conservative candidate and those who should know better rush in without waiting at least 24 hours for the half-truths and lies to unravel. This week the target was Dr. Ben Carson and the reason and charge were patent: He’s a Black Republican so obviously honest and sincere the media wolves tried to knock him out of contention by claiming he lied. This time I’ll spare those pundits who fell for it. If you are a naïve dummy, someone ought to point that out publicly. Fair warning -- next time I won’t hold back. You can’t attack the media as dishonest most days and then uncritically accept -- even for a few hours -- their “bombshells”. Keep your skeptic’s hat on for heaven’s sake. On the one hand there’s what I call “the white toga” conservatives who flee their colleague’s side as soon as the wolves approach to prove their own spotless moral perfection. On the other hand there are the conservatives who fall for every claim against their own even when they should know better. It almost makes you wish you were a Democrat whose media pals emulate Helen Keller at even the strongest proofs of wrongdoing. (Hillary didn’t drool or faint during her Congressional appearance even though caught out in big lies so they say she nailed it, for example.)

This week the fools rushed in -- if however briefly -- when both CNN and Politico attacked Dr. Ben Carson.

CNN went first, suggesting Carson was a liar and nuts for having claimed in his autobiographical accounts that he had once been a rage-filled adolescent and given examples of his bad youthful behavior. No, said CNN, which said it can’t find any evidence of that. What kind of attack is CNN’s? That Carson had actually been a nice guy, not a thug, all along?

In any event, he went on the network and responded quickly before too many fell for that tale.

Because no one can remember a few fights and a non-stabbing that occurred more than fifty years ago, CNN is smearing Carson as a liar and crazy. Imagine that: growing up in a violent ghetto and not being able to remember someone throwing a rock 57 years ago?

In a 30-minute CNN interrogation by an alternately patronizing, belligerent, and defensive Alisyn Camerota Friday morning, Dr. Ben Carson stayed on offense. He attacked the network based on facts: The fact CNN did not vet Barack Obama; the fact that CNN’s so-called investigative reporters have not talked to people from the era when the incidents occurred; the fact that CNN and the rest of the DC Media only seek to personally destroy Republicans while Hillary Clinton is awarded The Best Week Ever after it was proven she had lied to the American people about Benghazi.

In an interview with Breitbart News on Sirius XM radio, immediately after CNN’s interrogation, Ben Carson promised to fight CNN tooth and nail. “Absolutely, I am going to fight CNN tooth and nail,” Carson said. “They will see, believe me, they will see.”

Soon after the CNN nonsensical scoop, Politico lobbed another nerf ball over the plate. Started by two former Washington Post reporters Politico has a small newspaper circulation but a wide reach. “Politico is a partner with several news outlets that co-report and distribute its video, print and audio content. Partners include CBS News,[9] Allbritton Communications's ABC station WJLA and cable channel NewsChannel 8,[10] radio station WTOP-FM,[11] and Yahoo! News election coverage.”

They asserted disingenuously that Carson’s autobiography falsely claimed he’d been admitted to West Point on a scholarship and turned it down. Even some conservative pundits fell for this untruth.

Here’s what Carson said about West Point:

At the end of my twelfth grade I marched at the head of the Memorial Day parade. I felt so proud, my chest bursting with ribbons and braids of every kind. To make it more wonderful, we had important visitors that day. Two soldiers who had won the Congressional Medal of Honor in Viet Nam were present. More exciting to me, General William Westmoreland (very prominent in the Viet Nam war) attended with an impressive entourage. Afterward, Sgt. Hunt introduced me to General Westmoreland, and I had dinner with him and the Congressional Medal winners. Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point. I didn’t refuse the scholarship outright, but I let them know that a military career wasn’t where I saw myself going.

Under the headline “Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship” it claimed that Carson said he’d applied for West Point and been admitted with a scholarship but turned it down. In fact, as the quoted passage reveals he never said that.

The Politico story lacked foundation. In Carson’s autobiographical account he made clear he’d never applied to anywhere but Yale (where he was accepted) because he knew even then he wanted to go to medical school and a postgraduate military obligation would have made that difficult. When this was pointed out, without notice, Politico changed the header to “Exclusive: Carson claimed West Point ‘scholarship’ but never applied.” It changed the lede, too to soften the claim but readers kept screenshots of the unannounced edits:

So what was left was an assertion that Carson lied when he referred to the possibility of a free ride at the military academy as a “scholarship”.

In a series of posts, Just One Minute’s Tom Maguire demolished that trope:

As to splitting hairs on whether the full room and board deal at West Point is a "scholarship", please. As examples of common usage here is the Military.com and two Congressfolk kicked up by Google. Quickly:

‪"The service academies annually award the biggest scholarships in the country. Each scholarship consists of four-years education, room and board, pay, exclusive benefits and training."

‪"The full four-year scholarship is valued at more than $350,000 which includes tuition, room and board, medical and dental care and a monthly salary."

Maguire later added:

Congresswoman Lois Capps of CA actually makes these nominations to the military academies. And how does she describe them?

‪"The full four-year scholarship is valued at more than $350,000 which includes tuition, room and board, medical and dental care and a monthly salary."

‪So, Frequently Unasked Questions: Why is she lying to her constituents and when will Politico get her on the line to remedy this?

Others pointed out that about this time, the service academies were actively recruiting qualified black candidates: and referred to scholarships to attend. with flyers which read: "Each year about 1200 young men and women take advantage of the opportunity to attend West Point on a full government scholarship, which includes tuition, room and board, medical and dental care, and an annual salary."

Politico added an editor’s note to the story but basically continued to stand by it although a number of people who originally fell for it are or should be red-faced today.

Ask yourself this -- is there any reason why General Westmoreland recruiting for West Point would not have wanted to encourage a Black academic star who was also the top ROTC cadet in Detroit? Would the lure to a poor kid of a free ride, at the time when the Academy was itself calling its benefits a “scholarship”, give him a reason to view this as other than a scholarship?

Well, hmm... Carson has presented this story in two books (here is Gifted Hands), recently on Facebook, and with Charlie Rose. The gist is always that as a top ROTC student with an impeccable resume Carson was assured he could get himself a slot at West Point.

Ahh, but is that a "scholarship"? Politico says no:

Carson would have needed to seek admission in order to receive an offer of free education from West Point. Also, according to West Point, there is no such thing as a “full scholarship” to the military academy, as Carson represented in his book.

Oh, c'mon -- would Carson have needed an offer of admission before a top General could say "Son, I like the cut of your jib -- you seem like the kind of guy that would sail into West Point" (yes, a very nautical general, go figure.) Would Carson need a formal offer to validate his belief that this advice was accurate?

Also ask yourself also how was Politico lucky enough to get a quick response from West Point as to whether Carson had ever applied there?

The third paragraph [in the Politico hit piece] contains this eye-opening revelation. “West Point, however, has no record of Carson applying, much less being extended admission.”

How does this work now? Does a reporter just write off to a college or university for data on a given student, and the university, in this case West Point, coughs up everything it has? Would that this were so.

For years the conservative media have been trying to get word one out of any of Obama’s academic institutions without success. The major media have not bothered to try.

In any event, it’s small potatoes -- not like the claim in Obama’s autobiographical work that he was Kenyan born

On Facebook, Charles Glasser scoffed:

“I've been very busy today and not had much time to look at the news, but it appears that Ben Carson lied about giving a haircut to a dog he tied to the roof of his car and then ate whilst under sniper fire. And he never had sexual relations with "that" dog. (*thumb pointing gesture*)

Do I have that right?’

After the surprise win in Kentucky by Matt Bevin (the first Republican governor elected there in 40 years) and his lieutenant governor, Jenean Hampton, the first Black ever elected to state-wide office in Kentucky, the Democrats have to be very worried. Their losses at the state and local levels are tsunami-like and if they can’t sustain the high numbers of women and Blacks and Hispanics whose votes they need to the urban enclaves they still hold they have nothing. The transgenders who want the right to use women’s restrooms just aren’t enough to pull them across the line into the winner’s circle.

The 2015 election is over. (You may not have known it was even happening.) And it proved one thing: Republicans have an absolute stranglehold on governorships and state legislatures all across the country.[snip]

While the demographic and electoral challenges that Republicans must confront at the national level are very real, the idea, pushed in some circles, that those struggles are leading indicators of a dying party is absolutely wrong. In fact, at the state and local level the Republican Party is considerably more robust than its Democratic counterpart.

What this means is that maintaining the presidency is even more important to the Democrat’s failing fortunes than ever. “So long as the Democrats can continue to hold the presidency, and so long as the powers of the presidency continues to grow, this may be a solid electoral strategy. But it’s a risky bet. If a Republican is elected president, the vulnerabilities of the current Democratic coalition will be exposed. A strong national coalition is useless if it doesn’t give you the tools to wield actual power.”

Attacks on conservative Blacks and women in order to hang on to the Democrats’ urban base voters will continue and become ever more vicious. Bear this in mind when evaluating them.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/11/fools_rush_in_when_will_they_ever_learn.html#ixzz3qtrAjm5K
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    9 years ago

The fools in the msm and their fans will never learn.  All the mud they threw at Carson is debunked and they lost what little credibility they might have had. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  XXJefferson51   9 years ago

IYHO. Carson lied out of his ass in his books and when the media called him on his lies, all of a sudden they're the ones throwing mud? He was the one throwing the bullshit in the first place. But attacking the media is the way right wing politicians get the idiots who follow them to cheer. In the long run they lose.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    9 years ago

At the end of my twelfth grade I marched at the head of the Memorial Day parade. I felt so proud, my chest bursting with ribbons and braids of every kind. To make it more wonderful, we had important visitors that day. Two soldiers who had won the Congressional Medal of Honor in Viet Nam were present. More exciting to me, General William Westmoreland (very prominent in the Viet Nam war) attended with an impressive entourage. Afterward, Sgt. Hunt introduced me to General Westmoreland, and I had dinner with him and the Congressional Medal winners. Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point. I didn’t refuse the scholarship outright, but I let them know that a military career wasn’t where I saw myself going.

Gen. Westmoreland was in Washington DC, not Detroit, on the day and evening in question. The idiot who wrote this article defending Carson prints something from Carson's book that is not true, without correcting it or offering any explanation. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

And the press is just getting warmed up. He hasn't been through 100,000th of what President Obama had to endure and he's already starting crying like a baby. "Mommy! Those mean old reporters are saying true things about me! Make them stop!"

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Randy   9 years ago

You know what's really funny? All of the lies about Barack Obama were made up by the right wing. Yet all of the lies about Carson are ones that he told himself, about himself.thumbs up

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Which is simply not true. Perhaps he should have had an editor of some type to help him get his facts, figures, dates and lies straight? It was not some foaming at the mouth left wing news agency out to destroy black conservatives that wrote that. He did. And he wrote it as truth. And it simply was not. Perhaps he should have said something along the lines of "To the best of my recollection" or some such thing, but he didn't. HE said it happened this way. It couldn't have, so how is the media the bad guys for pointing out to him that this simply was not the truth? How does one's mind get so twisted as to blame reporters for reporting what Ben Carson SAID HAPPENED and then say that it couldn't have happened that way? That this story simply did not happen? That he was, at the very least, mistaken? How does what he wrote become a lie from the media in the eyes of his supporters? It has to be some sort of "I hate the MSM derangement syndrome" that makes them see things backwards? HE WROTE IT! He's the one that fucked up. The media didn't. They just pointed his fuck up out to him.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    9 years ago

In an interview with Breitbart News on Sirius XM radio, immediately after CNN’s interrogation, Ben Carson promised to fight CNN tooth and nail. “Absolutely, I am going to fight CNN tooth and nail,” Carson said. “They will see, believe me, they will see.”

CNN immediately closed down all of their offices around the world, fired all of their employees and went out of business completely, out of the fear of Ben Carson. /s

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    9 years ago

Politico embarrased itself, as everyone across the political spectrum admits (  see  here here here here here , and  here .) No surprise the usual idiots are still clinging to a discredited story. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Sean Treacy   9 years ago

We know which usual idiots you are referring to ....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy   9 years ago

Three of the articles you link to are from right wing or conservative sites (Ace Of Spades is very conservative as is Weekly Standard), the more objective site CJR, just says that Politico went too far.

Ben Carson evidently wrote an autobiography that includes dates, names and places that he just guessed at . Westmoreland was not in Detroit on Memorial Day 1969, but Carson specifically says he met Westmoreland and was offered a "scholarship" on that day. Carson is wrong about that. He was wrong about the course that he claims named him the most honest student when he was at Yale. If he couldn't remember days dates and names from those days he should have left the anecdotes out of the book or said he was using generic names. 

I don't think they should crucify him over his autobiography though, when there are so many better and more recent reasons to blow him out of the water. This man has no chance, and some are coming to the conclusion that his candidacy is a money making scam. Maybe that will be the next investigation. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates

This man has no chance, and some are coming to the conclusion that his candidacy is a money making scam. Maybe that will be the next investigation.

That's what I think it most likely is. He is a con man and is using his phony run for the Presidency (that he knows he'll never get close to) as a way of promoting books and making high increases in speaking fees. His "candidacy" is just good advertising disguised as a campaign.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Ben Carson evidently wrote an autobiography that includes dates, names and places that he just guessed at . Westmoreland was not in Detroit on Memorial Day 1969, but Carson specifically says he met Westmoreland and was offered a "scholarship" on that day.

I am also curious who the two medal of honor winners he says he had dinner with, along with Gen. Westmoreland on that Memorial day, were? According to The Detroit News, Gen. Westmoreland was in Detroit on Feb 18, 1969 to honor a Vietnam Medal of Honor winner named Dwight Johnson, but it doesn't say that there were two Medal of Honor winners there on that date (or Memorial Day). Also there is no mention of Ben Carson?

The Army records and Detroit News archival records show Westmoreland was in Detroit on Feb. 18, 1969, for a dinner honoring a Vietnam War veteran. The banquet was for Congressional Medal of Honor winner Dwight Johnson, a Detroit African-American who risked his life “beyond the call of duty,” according to a website about black participation in the Vietnam War.

I would think that if I had dinner with General Westmoreland I would remember the exact date. In fact it and the names of the Medal of Honor winners I met and had a dinner with would be etched into my memory. Unless, of course, I was trying to exaggerate or embellish the story to make it sound more impressive.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Randy   9 years ago

I think Carson must have met Westmoreland in February. The problem is that when someone uses specific names and dates and then it turns out to be wrong, it is fair to wonder about what other names and dates in the book might be wrong. He wrote this book not thinking he would run for President, but even so, no one should casually put wrong information in an autobiography. 

No matter. He will make plenty more mistakes as he goes along. He is a mistake machine.  

Randy
Sophomore Participates

He is a mistake machine. 

That he is. That he is. He also should be able to remember how many Medal of Honor winners he met with the General.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Sean Treacy   9 years ago

@sean-treacy :

Politico embarrased itself, as everyone across the political spectrum admits (  see  here here here here here , and  here .) No surprise the usual idiots are still clinging to a discredited story. 

Notice Sean that John tells you your links are from right or conservative sites and completely ignores one of his credible news sources you included in those links, so I will expand on it here from CNN which is also one of your links.  Wonder why he can't find anything from NBC or ABC?  Think maybe, just maybe they don't want to get involved in this because it has already been proven Politico and the others are incorrect in their articles and are desperate for something to discredit Carson?

Well here is the CNN link you provided:

Where Politico's Ben Carson 'scoop' went wrong

What initially looked like a disaster for Ben Carson could now be a major black eye for Politico.

On Friday, Politico reported that Carson had "fabricated" his application and acceptance into West Point, and that his campaign had acknowledged as much in an interview.

That story was initially headlined "EXCLUSIVE: Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship." It seemed like the sort of story that had the potential to ruin Carson's ambitions for the presidency.

But the Politico story was not accurate on some key points.

And in the wake of pushback from the Carson campaign -- which called the story an "outright lie" -- Politico softened its headline, removed the "fabrication" language, and changed some key details -- even as it said it was "standing by its story."

In a statement, Politico said, "We stand by our story which is a powerful debunking of a key aspect of Ben Carson's personal narrative. The story online includes additional details now as well that bolster this account."

The rewritten article did not initially include a correction or editor's note, although a note was later added on Friday. Politico again said it "stands by its reporting."

But Carson's campaign sees the matter differently: "It's clear that what the Politico writer, with what he was trying to gain with the headline, did not substantiate it with his article," Armstrong Williams, Carson's business manager, told CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

Politico's initial story began by stating that Carson's campaign had admitted "that a central point in his inspirational personal story was fabricated: his application and acceptance into the U.S. Military Academy at West Point."

In fact, there is no evidence in Politico's story that Carson ever claimed to have applied to West Point.

The Politico story does show that Carson said several times that he was "offered a full scholarship to West Point." He made that claim in his book, "Gifted Hands," and in several media interviews, including during an appearance on Charlie Rose last month.

Carson acknowledged Friday that he was never offered a full scholarship to West Point, and sought to clarify that he had instead been given an informal offer or "nomination" to attend West Point.

"Because I had done so extraordinarily well you know I was told that someone like me -- they could get a scholarship to West Point. But I made it clear I was going to pursue a career in medicine," Carson told The New York Times . "It was, you know, an informal 'with a record like yours we could easily get you a scholarship to West Point."

Politico also claims that West Point "has no record of Carson applying, much less being extended admission." But West Point told CNN on Friday that it does not keep records of decades-old applications, and would not be able to know if Carson was offered an appointment because he did not attend.

Finally, Politico's story seeks to cast doubt on Carson's claim that he was introduced to General William Westmoreland during Memorial Day of his senior year at high school.

In "Gifted Hands," Carson writes that his high school ROTC director "introduced me to General Westmoreland, and I had dinner with him and the Congressional Medal winners."

Politico says official U.S. Army records show Westmoreland did not visit Detroit around Memorial Day in 1969 or have dinner with Carson. "In fact," Politico reports, "the general's records suggest he was in Washington that day and played tennis at 6:45 p.m."

But Politico goes on to note that there was a similar banquet event in Detroit in February of that year that the General did attend, and that "Carson, a leader of the city's ROTC program at the time, may have been among the invited guests at the $10-a-plate event."

Following pushback from the Carson campaign, Politico softened its headline and changed its lead and various details in the story. The story is now headlined, "Exclusive: Carson claimed West Point 'scholarship' but never applied."

Carson's campaign, meanwhile, seemed unfazed by the report. Barry Bennett, Carson's campaign manager, said in an email to CNN that the story had been "debunked."

"Ben was offered a nomination which he declined," Bennet wrote.

If Ben Carson had told this story and was a Democrat he would be praised, but the Liberals have one objective and that is to discredit anyone who isn't a Liberal. 

You have to understand when the knife incident happened Ben Carson's mother had recently taken him out of a predominantly white school where he won an award for his academic achievements and a white teacher stood up and criticized the white children telling them they should be ashamed that he beat them out of the award, basically because he was black. 

That tore his mother up and she became even more determined to get him away from the racism he was experiencing. 

He didn't like the move as a youngster and became rebellious for a short period of time until the knife incident happened. That could explain why not many remember a thud or violent person, since it didn't take him long to turn his life around and was unknown at first in his new environment.

Normally the Liberals of today would have hit the roof if the same thing happened to Obama or any other black, even if he pushed an old man half his size around before trying to kill a policeman, but since Carson is not one of them, they will not defend his civil rights. 

I'm not talking to everyone here, but there are those who I am talking to and they know I'm correct in what I'm saying.

They are not trying to vet him, they are trying to destroy him and I personally don't think the majority of Americans are going to fall for it. 

Gosh I hardly had time to take my hands off the keypad before Randy gave me a thumbs down on this comment.  I know he didn't have time to read it.  Well he didn't need to read it because he knew it would be the truth and it would go against his agenda.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  sixpick   9 years ago

You know I would defend Carson if he were a Democrat or a Republican.  I'd defend anyone who is honest.  I'm not saying Carson is honest in every respect, but this accusation is incorrect and is not worthy of discussion.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick   9 years ago

You have to understand when the knife incident happened Ben Carson's mother had recently taken him out of a predominantly white school where he won an award for his academic achievements and a white teacher stood up and criticized the white children telling them they should be ashamed that he beat them out of the award, basically because he was black. 

That tore his mother up and she became even more determined to get him away from the racism he was experiencing. 

He didn't like the move as a youngster and became rebellious for a short period of time until the knife incident happened.

All of this comes from , hmm, Ben Carson. The man who thinks the pyramids are for grain storage because, God. 

Who knows if the account of why he left the school is 100% true or not ? 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   9 years ago

@johnrussell :

Who knows if the account of why he left the school is 100% true or not ?

That is true, we don't know, but......what about this?

For example, on July 13, 2011, in a story published on page 16, New York Times reporter Kevin Sack explained, "The White House on Wednesday declined to challenge an account in a new book that suggests that President Obama, in his campaign to overhaul American health care, mischaracterized a central anecdote about his mother's deathbed dispute with her insurance company."

The headline said the book "challenges" the Obama story, and in the story they used the word "mischaracterized." It was a whole lot more misleading than that.

That new book was titled A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama's Mother. The author was Janny Scott, the same Times reporter who was so impressed with Obama's story-telling in 2008. But she found holes in the narrative. Scott quoted from correspondence from Obama's mother, Ann Dunham, to assert that the 1995 dispute concerned a Cigna disability insurance policy. Her actual health insurer had reimbursed most of her medical expenses without argument. The Times noted that although candidate Obama often suggested that Dunham "was denied health coverage because of a pre-existing condition, it appears from her correspondence that she was only denied disability coverage."

So he was lying. Indeed, reporters could have held Obama accountable for lying repeatedly on his way to his first presidential victory and beyond, obscenely using his own deceased mother as a prop – in a TV ad, in his convention speech, in a presidential debate, and in a town-hall debate over ObamaCare in 2009, just for starters.

Kevin Sack of the Times turned to liberal Harvard professor Robert Blendon to pronounce the obvious: if Obama's phony story line had been discovered during the 2008 campaign, "people would have considered it a significant error." But it was not an error. It was a bald-faced lie, repeated over and over.

Blendon added: "I just took for granted that it was a pre-existing condition health insurance issue." So did the entire American news media.

~~Link~~

You know I have many more.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick   9 years ago

THE OTHER DAY Ben Carson whined to the reporters that they should investigate Obama's "sealed" college records. Obama's college records have never been "sealed". Why was Carson lying about this to gain sympathy ?