╌>

Popular German beers contain weed-killer linked to cancer, study finds

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  13 comments

Popular German beers contain weed-killer linked to cancer, study finds

There's trouble brewing in some of Germany's most popular beers.

Could this buzz kill?

Traces of a toxic herbicide that has been shown to cause cancer have been found in Germany’s most popular beers.

The Munich Environmental Institute revealed on Thursday that small amounts of glyphosate, the world’s most-used weed killer, were in all 14 brews it tested.

Glyphosate was declared a probable human carcinogen last year by a World Health Organization agency.

The amounts of glyphosate ranged from .46 micrograms found in a liter of Bavarian Augustiner beer to 29.74 microgram in a liter of Hasseröder — which is nearly 300 times the maximum amount of the herbicide allowed in drinking water.

Brands that Americans are more familiar with also showed traces of glyphosate. Beck’s Pils had .5 micrograms per liter, Paulaner Weissbier had .66 micrograms and Erdinger Weissbier had 2.92.

The German Brewer’s Association called the study “not credible,” and argued that the herbicide is so widely used that it “is now found virtually everywhere after decades of use in agriculture.”

~LINK~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    8 years ago

This year, the country celebrates the 500th anniversary of its Reinheitsgebot German purity law, which is one of the globe’s oldest food safety laws. It rules that beer must be made only using malt, hops, yeast and water.

Germany is Europe’s biggest beer producer, and the European Union is reviewing whether to renew approval for glyphosate.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    8 years ago

One word. Guinness.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

I love Guinness!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Guinness. Stay thirsty my friends."

The Most Interesting NT Member in the World. thumbs up

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

Nothing wrong with a pint of Guinness at all.

You all stop by my house later and I'll have a case chilled and ready for absorption...

:~)

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

I love it best on tap or in the can. Pour it straight down into the glass and dream of that first drink as the foam settles downward toward the bottom. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Happy

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

CUT IT OUT MICKEY, I HAVE OVER AN HOUR BEFORE WORK IS OVER!

;^)

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

And I don't have any beer in the house...and a wife who I gave my disability check to without buying any! I have to wait until the 3rd of March to get some!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

I do have some weed killer though. Maybe I could drink that and pretend it's German beer?Laugh