╌>

TED CRUZ DROPS OUT OF GOP PRESIDENTIAL RACE

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  8 years ago  •  69 comments

TED CRUZ DROPS OUT OF GOP PRESIDENTIAL RACE

After losing the Indiana primary today, Ted Cruz has dropped out of the GOP presidential race.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    8 years ago

Now it begins.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

View photo

. ted-cruz-iowa-caucus.jpg

Ted Cruz is planning to drop out of the presidential race, multiple news reports on Tuesday.

Cruz’s departure from the race came after a bruising primary loss to Donald Trump.

It leaves Trump in the race with John Kasich, who has won just one state, Ohio, where he serves as governor.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

Trump ran a good campaign. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

He ran a politically masterful campaign, that is not necessarily a "Good" campaign.

The real campaign starts now, and barring any surprises, (there may be a few yet to come) he will do the same in the general.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Nicole Wallace of NBC News reported this evening that a Republicans For Clinton organization consisting mainly of the Republican foreign policy establishment is actively in the works.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

There is also talk of a meeting tomorrow to begin to explore a conservative third party candidacy to oppose Trump (and Clinton) in the general election.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

Looks like a "Canadian" will never become POTUS. crying

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Thumbs up, there Buzz!!!! Best chuckle of the day so far. Thanks.

Hope all is well with you, my friend.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  deepwaterdon   8 years ago

Now where will I go...Back to Canada, nope they don't want me. Cuba, that's the ticket, I can become a Senator there. Wait, do they take Canadians?  Ted Cruz musing this morning.

Ted_Cruz_El_Cubano_De_Canada%CC%81_LARGE.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Last night Cruz spoke for 10-15 minutes during his speech where he quit the race. He never once said the word "Republican" or "party".

The implication surely is he plans on starting or joining a new conservative movement.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
link   FLYNAVY1  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

The Canadians who drink tea party?

The party that drinks tea with Canadians?

Rafael is going to need a party name that sings.......!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    8 years ago
On to Kasich then...congrats to the GOP establishment getting the final two standing. Bowhner and King should be so proud...

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

On to Kasich then...

Didn't work out that way did it? 

So......, the entire Republican Party now has Donald Trump on their hands, and Donald Trump has the entire Republican Party in the palm of his hands.

This should be interesting.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    8 years ago

For the first time in my life I will not be voting GOP in a presidential election.  

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

For the first time in my life I will not be voting GOP in a presidential election.

Why not? Your favorite guy in the whole world in the GOP nominee.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    8 years ago

I'll be voting for Clinton in our state primary and in the General Election. As will my wife. No change in plans.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

And I'll be voting for Kasich that day.  Hopefully a conservative who has some staying power will jump in as an independent so that in the general we will have a reason to go to the polls and vote and support down ticket candidates.  #NeverTrump! 

LynneA
Freshman Silent
link   LynneA  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

Kasich cancelled event today and speaking at 5pm in Columbus...suspending perhaps??

LynneA
Freshman Silent
link   LynneA  replied to  LynneA   8 years ago

Senior Kasich campaign adviser confirms suspension...announcement at 5pm.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  LynneA   8 years ago

I think Kasich will be Trump's VP running mate.

Kasich was supposed to appear in DC but instead diverted himself to Ohio where he will formally drop out. Has he been contacted by the Trump camp?

Second, Trump said this morning that he will choose a "politician" who can help him with Congress. Kasich is one of the few who fills that bill among those who would accept. Possibly Rubio also. Cruz won't do it. Christie has no national experience with legislation.

Kasich was in the U.S. House before he became governor of Ohio.

And Kasich has the ambition. After Trump loses this year Kasich would become one of the front runners for the GOP for 2020 and being on the national ticket this year would give him a strong name recognition.

But most importantly Kasich would help Trump win Ohio, which Trump cannot win the election without.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  LynneA   8 years ago

There is no point for him staying in anymore, with Cruz out it's TRump's nomination, last man standing and all.

The party can't pull what they did last cycle cause the rank and file have told them they had better not. There have been a number of signs that the party will get behind T Rump the biggest two being Boehner and Ryan the defacto leaders of the party right now. Priebus will follow those two.

A third party republican (ie Cruz) would almost guarantee a democrat victory, and he's the only one with the support to pull that off.

Expect a week or two cooling off period and Cruz to reluctantly get behind The Donald.

This election is about throwing the elite political power structure out of the government, remember, anti-establishment?

If things hold to current form, no surprises along the way, we are going to have an election of the most establishment candidate you could have against the most out of touch as far away from politics as usual candidate that ever ran for the office.

The same old same old against a different day?

We are going to get to see just how pissed off the electorate actually is.

And it represents how the public views the current state of politics in this nation, a political elite that does not listen to the people they are supposed to serve.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man   8 years ago

You operate inside some sort of bubble.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I pretty much kow that this is a liberal slanted article, and that ya'll  are very happy that T Rump is the nominee cause ya'll think that he has given you all you will ever need to defeat him at every turn and that a true establishment insider like Hillary will win every time.

And given that obvious and well pronounced political slant what I will write will be viewed as living in an incredibly explainable bubble of fantasy that completely ignores all reason, rational or extrapolation of truth.

That is the definition of political elitism.

So I'm happy in my bubble. You should be too, you won't have to hear my laughing as your vaunted expertise comes falling around your ears. (besides, I've nailed this election so far in my commentary before you hear it on the media)

I'll stand on my record so far.

and the real campaign is about to start.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent

And I'll be voting for Kasich that day.  

(?!) Six hours  ago you said you were not going to vote this time around. Anyway, you will have have a little problem trying to vote for the Governor of Ohio for president when he's busy just being the Governor of Ohio.

#NeverTrump! 

Let's hope so!

How does it feel now to be a Republican? Seems like you're having a little trouble picking winners these past couple of years Corny.

Maybe you should consider changing your party affiliation.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

Sanders wins again. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

Since 6 in 10 voters think honesty is the most important characteristic, it's easy to see why she lost yet again to the old socialst. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy   8 years ago

And Trump demonstrates his honesty by tying Oswald to Cruz's dad. Yeah he's not a liar. 

Come on everyone... this is the ultimate ship of fools we have for this election. 

LynneA
Freshman Silent
link   LynneA    8 years ago

Trying to figure out if I'm happier since Ted will not be the President or Carly won't be the VP!  Either case, thank you Indiana. 

Could be wrong, but I believe the GOP just handed the oval to Dems for yet another four years.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  LynneA   8 years ago

I think you are most likely correct. Though it's a long time until November. Many, many, many, many things can happen between now and then that would mean Trump, Clinton or Sanders won't be there to be voted for at all in November. Still, if it is Clinton I think she brings the Senate and a big piece of the House back with her. I'm not so sure Sanders can do that.

Yes polls show Sanders doing better against Trump, but no one has even tried to hit him yet an there's not much more the GOP can hit Clinton with that we don't already know. You can bet that right now Trumps people are sifting through everything Sanders has ever done, written or said for his entire life from High School on. There's no telling what they might find.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  LynneA   8 years ago

Could be wrong, but I believe the GOP just handed the oval to Dems for yet another four years

Hi Lynn,

You're not wrong. But I do I detect a tone of resignation in that comment? Who would you have liked to see oppose the Dems in the general  election? 

LynneA
Freshman Silent
link   LynneA  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

Jerry,

IMO, the only viable GOP candidate was/is Kasich.  He's a moderate and my hope was he'd be a force to reconcile the party.  The party has fractured the country to the likes I've never seen.  When the TP came into play, I recall discussing with my ultra-conservative family members it'll be the demise of the party.  Not necessarily due to their ideology but the manner in which they were determined to have their way.  Political change, all change for that matter, takes time...even decades.

Control of the House and Senate has been in the Republican's hands, yet what have they to show for it?  For all the campaign talk, where is the legislation on immigration, tax reform, campaign finance, etc....nada!  The partisanship within couldn't be overcome in the last couple years and now I see an American electorate out for blood.  When "compromise" became the third rail, our government ceased to govern.

As a progressive, I could sit and relish the current race that will most assuredly go to Clinton.  Yet in my heart of hearts our political process and its ability to govern grieves me tremendously...probably the tone you're hearing :)

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Lynne, I'm a conservative and feel exactly the same way.

But that IS what this election is going to decide, which way are we as a nation going to go politically.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  LynneA   8 years ago

IMO, the only viable GOP candidate was/is Kasich.  He's a moderate and my hope was he'd be a force to reconcile the party.

I had thought the same thing. He's a proven administrator who has done a lot great things for Ohio, however when he tried to move into the national scene he moved out of his league, especially in the volatile climate Donald Trump has created for this election cycle.

We better hope to hell that Bernie doesn't pull an upset and win the Dem nomination, he will be no match for The Donald. 

Hillary on the other hand, may have her negatives, but they're nothing compared to the negatives Trump generates every time he opens his mouth. Either way, I have a feeling we're in for a very nasty presidential campaign this time around. 

With Trump as the apparent GOP nominee, we have to prepare for the off chance that with his 10 Billion dollars in assets, he will be able to manipulate the process enough to buy/steal the election. 

Has anyone thought of the risk we will facing if we have a multi-multi-billionaire with dictatorial tendencies in control of the White House, a Cabinet laden with Wall Street CEO's, combined with the defeat of Citizens United? We will for sure move from the brink of becoming an Oligarchy to actually becoming an Oligarchy.

From which there will be no way to return. 

LynneA
Freshman Silent

Trump's campaign would be better served trying to figure out how to not be the leper in the GOP party.  It'll be interesting to see where the money people gravitate and if the GOP movers and shakers saddle up to Trump.  Of course the down ticket GOP candidates have got to be reeling.  Don't expect Ted or Carly to unite around their presumptive nominee, but who knows...stranger things have happened since this clown car loaded up over a year ago!

For certain, this election cycle is ONE for the history books!

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Well I do know that Trump and Cruz and many of the other candidates on the GOP side have given Clinton a lot of ammunition for campaign ads. Her campaign could do hours on Trump's contradictions alone. Just play them side by side of him saying one thing and then saying something completely different, many times in the same speech or interview or even sentence. I think that the Trump people think they have more ammo then they really do because she has been attacked so much over the years that if they bring it back up then I believe a large number of voters are just going to say "Oh not that old news again!"

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Trump's campaign would be better served trying to figure out how to not be the leper in the GOP party.

I can understand this thinking, it is the way one usually brings forth party unity after a bruising primary campaign.

The problem is this isn't a "Usual" election.

T Rump is winning by being the "Leper" in the party. His next move is to become the "Leper" in American politics altogether.

It is definitely the Anti's against the Establishment this cycle with a complete political outsider as the "Anti"

Like the last three cycles, the electorate is going to vote against the government on this one. Trump's vision was that he has to get the republicans out of the way first, then go after the government. (It was the strategy that Ron Paul was going to ride to a landslide over Obama if the republicans hadn't stopped him)

This time, there is no stopping it. (at least I don't see any way of stopping it)

The last three cycles the republicans have made huge gains running against the government, I don't see that changing. And if the trends over the last three cycles hold, T Rump is the next president.

Hillary is embedded and imbued in that government the electorate has been voting against, she cannot run away from it or the politics of her party that have been running it. Accepting the SOS position is not an advantage in this election, it is a boat anchor, it puts her squarely inside of this government. (add the baggage she has created all her own as the SOS) It's why she left the position after four years, to distance herself.

Hillary has concrete overshoes in this election cycle.

LynneA
Freshman Silent

Yup, Trump has supplied enough fodder to keep us engaged until the election and beyond!  He's the gift that keeps on giving...heard him ramble on today about Rafael Cruz, Oswald and JFK.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

He says and does many outrageous things. That said I think that was a bit too far even for him. There are fewer Americans alive today then who were born after his murder, but to use that terrible, terrible day and time for political advantage went beyond disgusting for me.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    8 years ago

There are fewer Americans alive today then who were born after his murder, but to use that terrible, terrible day and time for political advantage went beyond disgusting for me.

I agree. I remember the events of that day as though it were yesterday. Yes, it is disgusting,  especially because it is an outright lie. 

Goes to show that Trump will stoop to any low in order to disparage his opponents. Not only are the things he says and does disgusting, the man himself is a disgusting individual.

IMO, there is no way the American people will put this disgusting demagogue in the oval office. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

I refuse to believe he can become the President. It's not going to happen.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

Yes you had a hard time realizing Jeb wasn't going to be the nomination too. 

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

Yes you had a hard time realizing Jeb wasn't going to be the nomination too. 

Do you want to see Donald Trump on control of the White House Dean?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

He's no republican, he's no politician, but there is a better than average chance at him being a president.

Whatever that means.

I could show any of the mountains of information and analysis this morning that disputes you, but we can save that for later. Clinton is 13 points ahead in Florida. For every Florida Trump loses, he will have to make it up with a Michigan or Wisconsin. In fact, he may have to run the table in the "rust belt" (minus Illinois which is solid blue) and Iowa. Not gonna happen.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I know it goes against everything you think you know about politics in this nation.

That thought occurred to me as I was writing that sentence.

I'm just hoping that the democrats are as self assured as they were in '80, that way I can be proven right again. Hillary cannot re-make herself, Mainstream Establishment with TONS and TONS of establishment (and personal) baggage that is absolutely going into the T Rump cannons. Democrats are going to respond in kind with nothing more than electioneering sound bytes and speculations of what could be.

This is an election where everyone is going to want to take a shower afterwards.

Get ready for political grade manure spreaders.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Nowhere Man   8 years ago

Yup.  I hate that thought...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

linton is 13 points ahead in Florida

Polls are nowhere near as accurate as they have been and making claims based on a single poll is simply ludicrous. 

Or did Clinton win Michigan by 20 points and Indiana by 7? 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

One less yahoo to worry about.

Good.