Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  9 comments

Rescuing Warsaw's overgrown Jewish graves

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    8 years ago

I think this is fantastic! While it's highly unlikely they'll be able to identify all 200,000 graves (if that is a correct number) the fact that they have identified 82,000 is amazing! It give descendants a place to go to see and honor their older relatives that died and to touch their own past.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

It is a great gesture of respect and it will help many Jews who have ancestors from the area to help trace or fill in blanks in their family history.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    8 years ago

That's a fairly large database already but it will get even bigger . Maybe some relatives will get closure .

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Karol would like to see the state of Israel contribute to the survival of Okopowa. ''We can only do so much. Even a ruin needs maintaining. But Israel won't help. Israel wants people to go and live there. It considers Poland to be a closed book - history, finished,'' he says.

That's a shame and (IMHO) wrong of Israel. They can't just close the book on this large a part of Jewish history. I hope they change their attitude on this. I am sure there are many Israelis who could trace their family history through the Jewish cemeteries of Poland and other parts of Europe.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

A very worthwhile post, Randy. NT could use a lot more of your good choices these days.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Thank you. I have been making an effort to post articles that are a balance to the "Hillary is a Lesbian" and "Barack cooperates with Islamic terrorist" garbage that is on the front page far too often.

But before anything it has to be an interesting post and I think this one really is.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    8 years ago

AN interesting story and also glad you chose to post it.  For balance sake it is also much better than the 'Trump is _______' (whatever) stupidity also seen on the front page

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

Cemeteries are one of my weaknesses.  I love them.  I'm so glad to read that people care enough to volunteer to bring back the beauty to these graves.  I could wander around a cemetery for hours.  Reading the tombstones and plaques always leaves me wanting to know the person's story.  The sense of love, sorry or pride the family felt.