╌>

Republican Hypocrisy About the Democrats Sit-In

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-berlin-halpern  •  8 years ago  •  47 comments

Republican Hypocrisy About the Democrats Sit-In

By Perrie Halpern

A group of House Democrats for had a sit-in to demand a vote on gun control last Thursday. No matter where how you feel about gun control, emotions run high after a mass shooting and 49 deaths. Yet House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) dismissed the Democrats concerns as a “publicly stunt” 

Since then, many conservative publications have been calling Democrats derogatory terms for their sit in. They seem to have a short memory. In 2008, the Republicans held their own sit in over offshore drilling. That's right, offshore drilling. Hardly as an emotional subject as national terrorism. Republicans noblized their sit-in, by comparing it to the Boston Tea Party, and concluded their sit in with “God Bless America.”  

There were similarities about both sit-ins The party in power cut the lights and microphones and adjourned. They dismissed it as political theater. Both protests were months before a contentious presidential election. Both sought to capitalize on public sentiment.

Most people will likely view the two protests very differently, even if they both ultimately failed to get the demanded legislation. But let's recognize that both parties use the same tactics to get what they want... and let ye without sin throw the first stone... and the Republicans committed the sin first. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

Frankly, for me this is not about the dems legislation. It is about the hypocrisy of the headlines of the Republicans. I am sure it rubs both ways, and I am willing to hear examples, but the bottom line is what is good for the goose....

Bloody Bill
Freshman Silent
link   Bloody Bill    8 years ago

Most people will likely view the two protests very differently

No, not really.

both ultimately failed to get the demanded legislation

Yep, both ineffectual.

both parties use the same tactics to get what they want

No, both parties would rather whine about the evil "other" than actually do something constructive. Whining is easier than doing. Both parties are eager actors in the Theatre of the Absurd.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Bloody Bill   8 years ago

No, both parties would rather whine about the evil "other" than actually do something constructive. Whining is easier than doing. Both parties are eager actors in the Theatre of the Absurd.

I totally agree Bill. Well said. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  Bloody Bill   8 years ago

applause applause thumbs up

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    8 years ago

The irony is that through technology and innovation the thing the GOP sought was achieved on private and state lands.  At least with the GOP, when the goal couldn't be achieved one way, another, fracking was found that achieved more than drill baby drill could have hoped for.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

That's not irony, that's just getting what you want done a different way. It still didn't stop them from doing what you are complaining the Dems are doing. By your logic, due to technology and innovation, the Dems will get some sort of gun bill past. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

They could have had a bill last week.  There was two the GOP voted for but the Dems decided that if they couldn't have their bills, they'd rather get nothing done.  The Dems know they can't pass a bill that reduces Americans due process rights so they decided to whine and pout.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

I was going to say, on another article, that the Dems learned how to do this, because the Repubs did it first.

I remember when the Republican party shut down our government, when they couldn't get what they wanted...  Funny, how no one said THEY were pouting...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

I don't remember them sprawling on the House floor waiting for the buffet to begin while live streaming their heroism.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

No, they did worse.  They SHUT DOWN OUR GOVERNMENT.  That was a mature thing to do...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Yes, it was. It was what their constituency wanted. Obama was just as complicit in the shutdown. If the emperor won't compromise, the House has to use the power of the purse.

Uncle Bruce
Professor Quiet
link   Uncle Bruce  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

They SHUT DOWN OUR GOVERNMENT.

No.  Obama shut down the Government, by refusing to negotiate.  He took a firm stand, refusing to budge.  The Republicans made huge demands, knowing they would not get all of them, but doing what every congress in the history has done:  Present a budget with lots of items to negotiate with.  Obama called their bluff, and they said fuck you, negotiate. 

Want to blame somebody for the shutdown, blame that fucking dipshit Obama.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Hear, hear Lady Dowser.  The Republicans have shut the government down a couple times now.

If the democrats were fund raising over this stance than I would offer they at least gave the tax payers the CHOICE on whether to contribute money rather than costing them millions in revenue by shutting down the government.

What the democrats were doing was using democracy to get their positions out there and asking those who want to advance those positions to contribute towards current and future campaigns to support democratic candidates.  That's what democracy is all about not these back door deals with the NRA.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Exactly!!!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

PJ, The GOP gained control of the senate after the last shutdown of nonessential functions.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

CERENKOV - you take back that thumbs down!  All you're doing is thumbs downing democracy.  You're trying to put shutting down the government and soliciting contributions to advance a platform on equal footing and they aren't equal.  One party has NO RIGHT to shut the government down that belongs to ALL American's for the purpose of appeasing only their constituents.  You're pandering to BS propaganda.  Their job was to present the position and represent their constituents in good faith but they have no right to shut the whole government down.  That belongs to all of us - not just their constituents. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

The Republican House did not shut down the government alone. Obama refused to sign a budget. He was complicit.

The Dems in the house shut down Congress for political theater and the raise money via the spectre of dead children. It's clear to me which is more repugnant. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Cerenkov - The Dem's don't have the authority to shut down Congress only Paul Ryan does.  I'm glad I'm wearing my 2 inch heels today because there's a lot shite I'm having to wade through. 

What budget are you talking about? 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

Get facts straight.  They didn't shut down the whole government.  In fact for pr purposes to try to blame republicans, Obama shut down more than had to be shut down to try to pressure republicans.  They even tried to blockade a state road off of federal property because it had a view of my. Rushmore.  PJ, the GOP won the senate after the last shutdown.  Oh, and quit bugging Cerenkhov about how he votes on posts.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

X - Don't tell me how to interact with Cerenkov.  It's none of your business.  He's a big boy and can stick up for himself.  STOP talking to me.   You're just mad because I'm MAD.   You're acting like a spoiled little boy who isn't getting his way and you're throwing a temper tantrum and thumbs downing ALL of my comments.  Knock it off and stop addressing me if I'm such a horrible person!!!!!!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
I can post on any seed as can any member.  I can say whatever within the coc and on topic relating to the topic at hand.  Your presence on a seed doesn't preclude mine.  I'm not sure why you think it so important how others use the thumb feature.  I'm not and never have been your issue here.  This isn't newsvine where people can block others from seeing what they post or participating in or reading their seeds/nations. You could create a private group though.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

Thumbs up.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide

I'm the spoiled one throwing a tantrum over a message board?💒. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    8 years ago

Huey Long explaining the difference between the two parties.