╌>

Cat Will Keep His Job at the Local Library After International Backlash

Category:  Pets & Animals

Via:  petey-coober  •  8 years ago  •  31 comments

Cat Will Keep His Job at the Local Library After International Backlash

LINK :
https://gma.yahoo.com/beloved-cat-keep-job-local-library-international-backlash-163205921--abc-news-pets.html

Beloved Cat Will Keep His Job at the Local Library After International Backlash

By RICKI HARRIS July 5, 2016 7:31 PM Good Morning America

Beloved Cat Will Keep His Job at the Local Library After International Backlash (ABC News)

Browser the library cat will not be facing unemployment after all.

The beloved feline, who was adopted by the White Settlement Public Library in Texas six years ago to help with a rodent problem, will remain in his home, despite a previous motion to remove him. The White Settlement city council voted unanimously on Friday to reverse its decision after its initial movement to evict the cat a few weeks ago received an incredible amount of backlash.

Ron White, the mayor of White Settlement, told ABC News that since the original motion to remove Browser, he has received more than 1,500 emails in support of Browser staying at the library. The emails came from all 50 states, Australia, Canada, Iceland, France, Germany, England, Guam, Malaysia and Singapore, according to White.

White himself has never been in favor of removing Browser and it remains unclear why the councilmen suddenly took issue with the cat.

One of the largest arguments against Browser was the inconvenience he presents for community members with a cat allergy . White maintains that an air purifier in the library removes over 99 percent of allergens from the air.

The motion to reinstate Browser was introduced by Elzie Clements, the very councilman that initially led the movement against the cat. White said he does not think the councilmen who motioned to oust Browser realized the amount of backlash it would elicit. “I don’t think they understood what they had done to begin with and how it would affect everybody,” he said.

The city was largely in favor of keeping the cat, collecting over 1,000 signatures for a petition in his favor.

Now that the controversy is behind the small city, White said he is glad it’s all over with. “It was a waste of time and money. It was ridiculous to do that and they did it without thinking ahead,” he said. “It was absolutely wrong to begin with.”

Clements did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober    8 years ago

To me "Browser" is a very serious and responsible sort of cat . He looks a lot more that way than my own Kitler ...

Here he is trying to look innocent ...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Beautiful kitty!!!  

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Having a pretty face does NOT qualify him to hold a responsible job such as the featured cat "Browser" ... I doubt my cat will ever cause an international backlash !

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Well, for your sake, I hope he doesn't!  But he looks like a beautiful cat with a good personality-- he can help on a more "local" level, keeping down the population of vermin...  He is certainly sweet looking!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Looks can be deceiving Dowser !

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

AWE...........Petey he looks like he's getting ready to start some trouble.  Wonder who he learned that from.

Here's my little guy.  We had just moved in and things were still in a bit of a disarray but he found his spot on the couch before I could put his blanket down.256

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

he looks like he's getting ready to start some trouble.

You have NO IDEA how true that is ... My cat can beat up your cat !

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

My cat's a lover not a fighter......at least with me.  He and my husband do play "fight club" everyday.  It's funny because he attacks my husband's ankles and my husband jumps around trying to get away from him.  

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

After many years studying Tai Chi I learned ways of dealing with a cat who thinks he's the boss . I can balance on 1 foot  while gently stepping on the cat with the other foot . Adding a martial arts yell becomes unnecessary ...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Very handsome PJ. Funny how they all have their favorite spots. You didn't give up his name. 

This is my boy. His name is Wally. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

He's a handsome fellow!   My little guy came to us with the name Tiber.  We got him from the pound about 5 years ago.  He used to be very skittish for well over a year.  Even to this day he only really allows me to hold him.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Tiber is a very cool name. 

I got Wally when he was 8 weeks old. I think he thinks he's human. He's uber friendly, but mommy's boy for snuggling and daddy's boy for play. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

that cat looks fat

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

He isn't. It's just the position. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

likely storyHappy

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

sheesh John!  Hahaha - I wouldn't apply for a job in diplomacy.  chuckle

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

i make fun of cats - dogs i treat with great respect

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Hey Cat Bigot!!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

It figures ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

I had a tuxedo domestic shorthair for more than 17 years. He was my buddy when I was single, and our family pet when I got married and had kids. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Do you recall what his name was Buzz ? What kind of disposition did he have ?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Fidget, and he was a lover, not a fighter. In fact he was quite a wimp.

He was given to me as a kitten by my neighbour and friend, Gale Garnett, (who had written the song "We'll Sing in the Sunshine").

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Philosophically Gale G. was sort of the Rolling Stone of her generation [based on her lyrics ] ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

She lived in Toronto about 5 or 6 houses away just around the corner from my house. Although she had a deep booming voice, she was a very quiet gentle private person. That was almost half a century ago.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Correction: It was in the early 1970s, not half a century ago.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Your cat is gorgeous!  What a sweetie!

We love our kitties!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Hey Petey..

Give up his name!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

I actually had a cat in my classroom name "Oscar" who was also a mouser. Better than any rat poison and he did a great job.  

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober    8 years ago

Did Oscar look anything like Browser ? How was he around the kids ? What was his favorite academic topic ?!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Oscar was a brown tabby. He was great with the kids and actually helped with teaching. He made for a great incentive to work. The kid who did his task first and well got him for an hour. He was quite the lap cat. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Would you say his fav topic was being a lapidarian ?