Deleted

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

What a hoot!

We had a room lizard in Cancun-- I loved him!  He ate all kinds of bugs-- in fact, we caught bugs for him, and left them along the side of a wall.  Sure enough, they were gone the next morning.  He was a baby iguana, I think, but bright green and lightning fast!  I love lizards, and he did his job of keeping us bug free.  

I usually take a small eye dropper bottle with bleach in it, when I go to a foreign country.  1 drop in a huge glass of water does the trick.  So far, I've never gotten sick.  And bathing the baby, just add a drop to his water, then it doesn't matter what he gets in his mouth.

Also, I've had the peep hole experience...  Ahem!  I stuffed the hole with Kleenex and taped over it.  Luckily, I was in the field and had duct tape.  This same hotel, the only one available, was named Thanotopsis, since out of business, which I thought was a Greek word for death.  It was so bad, it advertised Free Phone & TV.  The floor was caving in in the middle, so trying to cross the room was like going down a drain.  I'd find myself in the middle of the room, wondering how on earth I got there.  The flooring was so bad, to drain the tub, you had to swish the water to the drain with your hand.  AND, they turned off all phone service after 9 pm.  In the days before cell phones, I could stand outside at the pay phone, next to the busy highway, OR risk life and limb trying to find another phone.  Since we worked until dark, and sometimes beyond, I had about an hour window to call home and check on things...

It was decorated with a pink chenille bedspread, orange and green 'flame' patterned curtains, and orange carpet.  It was all I could do to sleep in there, the colors were so jarring, but after a day in the field, I'd crawl in bed, clinging to the side, because the mattress sloped to the center, and slept like the dead.

It was 45 miles to the next hotel, and I had to be out in the field at 6 am.  I do not function well before 6 am.  So, I would have camped in my car, but needed to be able to shower, etc.  Peephole and all-- I went over that room with a fine tooth comb and taped up everything that looked suspicious.  It had that knotty pine paneling, so there were a lot of potential peepholes.  I was a lot braver back then...

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    8 years ago

What happened to the story? Is there a technical error?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Oh no, dear PJ!!!  Bring it back, please!  It is funny, light-hearted look at travel!  Thank you for it!  PLEASE bring it back!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

PJ,

I am sure everyone will play nice now. winking

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

I hope so. I would like to see what she had posted. I usually love what she has to say.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Pj, I know you're on vacation and this isn't a high priority, but I LOVE reading your stories!  You are funny and your write humorously, and please bring this one back...  Big hugs