╌>

How to spoil your pet alligator

Category:  Pets & Animals

Via:  petey-coober  •  8 years ago  •  23 comments

How to spoil your pet alligator

LINK :
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/07/15/Florida-man-fights-to-keep-pizza-loving-pet-alligator/6711468598345/

Florida man fights to keep pizza-loving pet alligator

By Ben Hooper Contact the Author   |   July 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Florida-man-fights-to-keep-pizza-loving-pet-alligator.jpg

Gwendolyn the alligator enjoys a slice of pizza at her owner's Coconut Grove, Fla., home. Screenshot: Sky News

Sky News

COCONUT GROVE, Fla., July 15 (UPI) -- A Florida man is asking state wildlife officials to allow him to keep the pizza-loving alligator that has been his pet for 47 years.

David Van Buren , a retired firefighter, said the male gator, named Gwendolyn due to a mistaken identification of the reptile's sex when it was young, has been his pet since he was 9 years old and currently resides in his Coconut Grove back yard.

Van Buren said Gwendolyn is equally happy indoors.

"Once he was in the house, he didn't want to leave. I think it took us like three weeks to get him to go back outside. He was on the couch all the time, or in the bathtub," he told WTVT-TV .

Florida Fish and Wildlife officials said they opened an investigation after receiving a complaint about the 13-foot alligator, which is particularly fond of pizza and Chips Ahoy cookies.

"Unfortunately, Gwendolyn the alligator is not in the proper caging it is supposed to be," FWC spokesman Lorenzo Veloz told WSVN-TV . "Mr. Van Buren has been advised about this right now, and at the moment, we are investigating the whole situation."

Van Buren said he is willing to work with the FWC to find a way to keep the alligator at his home.

FWC officials said they have not yet come to a decision about Gwendolyn's fate, but Van Buren would have to make modifications to his property if the alligator is allowed to stay.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober    8 years ago

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober    8 years ago

I wonder what kind of toppings "Gwendolyn" likes on his pizza ... Some kind of fish maybe ?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

How about human flesh?

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Well ... that is not their standard food . They have been known to eat small dogs ... but Gwendolyn is an indoor gator .

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I assume the owner doesn't keep any normal pets, unless they're to feed the alligator.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

My impression was that the gator was fed on junk food like pizza & cookies ...

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

This one is an indoor crocodile.  If he and my grandson didn't have 1" of armored glass between them, things could get really interesting.  The real question would be, which one would get eaten, or would they team up to eat Levi's sisters.  At three years old, I'm pretty sure that Levi is capable of handling either scenario (probably the Croc is too).

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  TTGA   8 years ago

I've never had crocodile for dinner . But alligator tail wasn't bad . It needs to be very fresh to not taste fishy ...

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    8 years ago

Useless fact #821:

Gwendolyn was the name of the transvestite that Paul Hogan felt up in Crocodile Dundee.

Note to self:  Get a life as soon as possible.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

That's good to know the next time I play Trivial Pursuit . Could you have picked a more relevant movie than that ? Doubtful !

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

I love the scene in that movie where Hogan and his girl friend are confronted by a couple of muggers, one of whom brandishes a knife.  Hogan says, "That's a knife? THIS is a knife" and he pulls out a huge machete, making the muggers run in panic.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

"That's a knife? THIS is a knife"

The movie is 30 years old and I still giggle at that one.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

Me, too!

I hope this guy gets to keep his alligator-- I don't think he would last long, out in the wild...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

It's possible HE won't last long if his pet turns wild.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

LOL, Buzz!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    8 years ago

That is crazy.  I had no idea they even lived that long.  This guy has probably used the phrase "see ya later, alligator" more times than anyone on earth.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Pizza is a proven health food for gators ...

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Pizza , the perfect food :

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Just think, Pizza Hut can now add to its promotional materials "Approved by Gwendolyn the Alligator".

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Maybe its Poppa Johns ...

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    8 years ago

If Gwendolyn is the Alligator, who is the Alligatee?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

LOL