╌>

The Hypocrisy of America's "Religious Freedom"

Category:  meta

Via:  jwc2blue  •  8 years ago  •  8 comments

The Hypocrisy of America's "Religious Freedom"

A lot has been said and written about what has come to be called "religious freedom" in America. This is not to be confused with freedom of religion, a concept that oddly seems to have no place in the religious freedom discussion.

In America, religious freedom mostly concerns itself with being able to impose one's selectively chosen religious beliefs on people exercising their Constitutional rights.

To the religious freedom proponents, the right of gay Americans to have equal rights with heterosexual Americans goes against their "religion." They feel that this grants them authority to deprive others of their Constitutional right to equality.

Some companies have perverted the already perverse Citizens United ruling to insist that as a corporation they are people, and by extension this grants them religious freedom. They then use this religious freedom to control the reproductive lives of their employees.

As I said before, these so-called "religious beliefs" are extremely selective and target those that people they feel are not "conservative." We have seen no push from them for legislation that allows them to refuse "service" to divorced people, people who have had multiple marriages, serial philanderers (in fact, such a person has been embraced by the so-called "evangelicals" as the republican candidate for POTUS)

This of course is a conflict. America is not a theocracy, but those who profess to be following their selective religious beliefs do so to prevent Americans from exercising their legal, Constitutional rights.

Religious freedom seems to only be concerned with so-called "Christians." Make no mistake, the connection between "Christians" and Christ seems to be in the similarity of the name and nothing more. I challenge anyone to find an example of one of these religious freedom crusaders calling for these freedoms to be applied to people of ALL religions.

A perfect example of this exclusion of other religions was posted on this site yesterday.

I was flabbergasted, but not surprised to read this;

yes they can. The leader in Pennsylvania that the Turks regime wants is a great example.  Any Muslim who puts the constitution above sharia law and doesn't want any aspect of it to affect anyone in America is welcome here.  

As has repeatedly been the case in recent years, religious freedom advocates (aka "Christians") have been using aspects of their religion to "affect" a large number of people in America. Gays, women seeking birth control or an abortion, transgender folks, all have hade their rights to equality under the Constitution "affected" by "religious freedom."

I asked the person who posted this incredibly stunning bit of hypocrisy to explain why such a thing is allowable to "Christians" but not Muslims. As is always the case, when confronted with the truth he refuses to acknowledge or respond.

I guess he feels that this gives him plausible deniability. Maybe putting your hands over your ears and shouting "I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" works for a five year old.

It doesn't work here.

Several right wingers have publicly put their religion above their country in the past year. Most notably Ted Cruz and Mike Pence. Of course, the logical question would be why they are politicians instead of making a life out of their religious beliefs. The answer is simple; They want to ram their religion down America's secular throat.

And to their sheep, it's ok as long as they aren't Muslims. 

"Religious freedom" is an American scam just as large as the alleged "persecution" of Christians is. Nobody is imposing their beliefs on anyone but them.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    8 years ago

If we are to have a civilized society then no religion can rise above the rules of law of said society.