╌>

Woman born of Native American, white parents hopes to close culture gap

Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  5 comments

Woman born of Native American, white parents hopes to close culture gap

As we log on to our social media sites, turn on our TVs, or visit with our neighbors, it is hard to ignore the fact that there is violence going on in our country. The violence appears to stem from race and inequality.

As a lifelong resident of the White Earth Indian Reservation, I grew up coming to Detroit Lakes on occasion, a trip to the movie theater and Pizza Hut, or to cruise the beach strip on the Fourth of July.

White Earth will always be considered my home; it is where my heart is. However, for the last year and a half, my children and I have resided in Detroit Lakes and it is slowly becoming “home” as well.

I am going to back up for a moment and tell you a little about myself. I was born to a Native American mother and a white father. I got my father’s skin color, which has forced me to “walk in two worlds.”

The color of my skin allows me many privileges when I go off the reservation. When I go places and meet people, I get to be judged by who I am not by the color of my skin.

Many of my friends, relatives, and people around the country with skin tones different than mine don’t always have these privileges.

It was difficult at times growing up on the reservation, not feeling “white enough” and not feeling “Indian enough.”

I have come to accept and gain an understanding of why Creator decided to make my skin the color it is. Part of my purpose in writing this article is to help bridge cultures, to give voice to the truths that I see in the world around me.

With that being said, I will speak my truths as I have seen them as a resident of Detroit Lakes and as a light skinned Native American woman.

My professional demeanor and light skin has allowed me the opportunity to sit in a Realtors office for a scheduled appointment and hear one Realtor say to another: “Those tribal people up there just don’t get it, they never show up when they say they will.”

My professional demeanor and light skin has allowed me to witness store clerks here in Detroit Lakes say to their co-worker: “We better get over to that area so we can keep an eye on those Indians.”

My professional demeanor and light skin has allowed me to stand behind people in line at the grocery store and hear: “I wish those Indians up there in line would hurry up, it’s clear they got their welfare money today.”

My son came home from school one day and was obviously distressed about something. I asked him what was going on and he said “the kids on the playground found out I was Indian and made fun of me. They said I was a ‘dirty Indian.’”

I thought that these comments were maybe coming from the prejudice that was coming from the homes of these children.

However, that thought was challenged when my son came home very confused with a worksheet from a social studies class. The worksheet was multiple choice and the third graders had to choose the correct answers.

The one that sticks out in my mind was the item that described Native Americans. The correct answer was “savages.”

I realized at that moment that stereotypes were being taught and reinforced in the classrooms.

The worksheet also puzzled my son because he got the question wrong about “who discovered America?” My son knows, along with the federal government, that Native Americans were here long before Columbus.

My son knows the truth of the history of our people. He knows about genocide, he knows about the Boarding School era; he knows that when his ancestors were forced into boarding schools. only knowing their own Ojibwe culture and language, that they were beaten when they tried to speak the only language they knew.

My son is 11 years old and I believe he deserves to know the truth. And so do you. A good resource for anyone wanting to learn a bit more is a book called “Lies My Teacher Told Me” by James W. Loewen.

The day after my son came home with this worksheet, I emailed the principal, the teachers involved, and the one and only Indian Education coordinator for the entire school district.

My son’s homeroom teacher was amazing; he handled the situation with humility and kindness. Throughout this social studies worksheet situation, it was clear that many of our educators in the school district are open and willing to receive cultural competency training as part of professional development.

It is my hopes that this will happen as we join together in efforts to bring our community together in times of fear and sadness.

I have also had the opportunity to meet some really great people in the Detroit Lakes community and to work for an amazing business that focuses on helping those in need.

When some people have learned that I am Native American, they have been quick to let me know that  they  are not racist.

They have explained that they feel they treat everyone the same, and would never think about saying those things like I heard in the grocery store line, the Realtor’s office, and the department store in town.

If you fit into this category; if you do not have negative thoughts about Native Americans, don’t tell racist jokes, and maybe even have a Native American friend, does that mean you are not part of this issue of racism in our backyard?

~LINK~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    8 years ago

If we allow ourselves to look at this as a good guy-bad guy, an “I am racist-I am not racist” kind of thing, we are missing the boat.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Man, does this article hit home. I go to DL a lot when I'm in MN. I was there many times as a kid growing up, and remember seeing the signs that said, ''No Indians''...and experiencing the looks and comments then and today. For some not much has changed, except that you don't see the ''No Indian'' signs.

I have also met many really great people in DL and the surrounding areas, both Red and White. It's difficult to understand why Indians are treated badly by some.

I sure would like to meet this lady the next time I'm in DL or White Earth.

Good article Larry.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Thanks Kavika,,,glad you enjoyed it. I also would like to meet this lady; she seems kind and wise, and  I would like to hear more of her thoughts.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

I have to add that her outreach is really a great thing, hopefully it will be come a two way street.

Happy to see that her children are not forgetting their heritage.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    8 years ago

Went through similar treatment in Mississippi as a kid.  Now, when I visit, that prejudice is still there and the folks are not ready to listen.

I love her attitude and the forthwith manner that she dealt with the social studies situation and I also admire how the school handled it.

Thanks Larry.