╌>

Hall of Fame game canceled due to field concerns

Category:  Sports

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  15 comments

Hall of Fame game canceled due to field concerns

The official return of pro football will have to wait another four days. The NFL canceled Sunday night's Hall of Fame  game because of poor field conditions. The  Green Bay Packers  and  Indianapolis Colts are headed back home.

The disappointing decision came after player safety concerns arose. NFL Media's Steve Wyche reports that the midfield logo was the main area of concern. It recently was painted and it was slick and hard, according to several team officials.

The embarrassing news casts a pall on an  otherwise great weekend.  Sunday's game was going to be much of a regular season preview, although it provides a chance for end-of-the-roster plays to impress coaches and make the team. Undrafted free agent  Joe Callahan  was expected to start at quarterback for the  Packers . Starters usually play a series or two at most in the first preseason game.

~LINK~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    8 years ago

CANTON, Ohio  — The NFL season won't kickoff Sunday night after all.

Poor field conditions at Tom Benson Stadium prompted the cancellation of the NFL'a annual Hall of Fame Game Sunday night in Canton. Thus the Indianapolis Colts and Green Bay Packers will only play four preseason games, like every other team.

Apparently, portions of the Hall of Fame logo in the middle of the field melted, causing concern that players’ cleats would stick.

After a long deliberation that included Colts general manager Ryan Grigson and Packers general manager Ted Thompson, everyone was asked to leave the field around 6:30 p.m., roughly 90 minutes before kickoff. Fans were allowed to enter the stadium after a delay.

Both the Colts and Packers returned to their locker rooms.

Field crews continued working on the middle of the field, spraying the logo with water. Piles of rubber pellets remained near the middle of the field.

The crews stopped working on the field around 7 p.m., just before ESPN announced on air that the game had been cancelled.

~LINK~

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

More important than generally recognized, many young players were looking to do their thing. It's really easy for rookies on the bubble to kinda get lost in the shadows; this would be their first chance to play at full speed and spot-lighted. As a Colts fan it's also a bummer.

:~\

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

It melted?  Oh my gosh, from what?  Unusually hot weather?  Did someone take a giant magnifying glass out there?

I'm sorry this happened, but I can't blame them for not wanting to play on melted plastic.  THEY might melt, as well!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

They had a concert a couple of days ago, then the Hall of Fame events on the field last night, where they had a tarp and chairs set-up. They have had a lot of heat and humidity and the paint job on the turf was grease in some places, and concrete in others. There was also an issue with the rubber pellets in places.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Well, they were smart to cancel the game until the issues clear up.  I don't want anyone to get hurt, playing a game!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

Yup the team doctors expressed real concern and that confirmed what was clearly seen. From a business stand-point, the last thing the NFL needs is a controversy about players hurt on an unsafe field.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

True!  So many players are injured anyway-- let's not add to the danger...

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

I suppose you have seen lottsa different field conditions with marching band. The conditions do make a difference.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Oh gosh!  Feel sorry for the band moms who do uniforms, when it rains a lot.  It is slick and dangerous for the kids, but they get out there anyway, I'm sorry to say!  Sometimes, I think the band directors need to have their heads examined...

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

No kidding.

The Hall of Fame commissioner is now announcing (Watching ESPN right now) the game cancelation to the crowd and they are not happy! He is announcing tonights replacement events and they are booing something fierce. They get it but nobody is happy.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I bet they paid a lot of $$ for those tickets...

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

They did and will be fully refunded.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Know that the fans were disappointed, but it was for the best...

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

No point in playing on a field that isn't ready. There are enough injuries in football, no need to increase the changes of more injuries.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Yup, absolutely.