© A. Mac/A.G./NASA

Best Look at this Link

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    8 years ago

For some reason, I get the feeling that some might find this tree/scene … surreal.

More important, is that they find this discussion.

Please be kind to each other, it's disheartening to see the disrespect and rancor that goes on around here.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

It does look surreal and peaceful. What time of day and time of year did you take the picture? I like the multicolored sky. The color shifts from blue to light blue to purple to gold but then the gold seems to run to the ground. How did you create this effect?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  1ofmany   8 years ago

How did you create this effect?

The original photo was taken on a summer afternoon, two years ago at the Heinz Wildlife Refuge in Philadelphia; we have preserved a great deal of forest and wetland in the city

I can't give every step of the image creation process because I transform these incrementally, often un-doing and re-doing and, when saving an image at any stage of development, the history taken down and a history of any subsequent steps begins to be recorded anew. 

Generally, an image like the ones I've been doing lately works best if there are areas of flat color in which I can place a colorful, surreal, ethereal or spectacular sky. How I go about that is more-or-less my "signature" or "trademark" process so I'll be a bit secretive (to remain competitive in the market so-to-speak.

I can replace original skies with my own sunset photos, but recently, I went to NASA's web site and read its copyright rules, actually spoke to someone at its 800 number, and, have been using their public domain, Hubbel Telescope shots for skies.

Not all of their shots are of high enough resolution or physical size to work in my larger, high resolution files … but many do work.

If my original needs to be modified, or extensively re-created before hand, I do it.

I would say I trash half as many as I complete; some images I pre-visualize before proceeding just don't meet my expectations; some do … but I find the ones I like best are the ones that are better than what I wanted/expected.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

The beauty of nature.

Another beauty Mac.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

While they beat each others' brains in elsewhere on the site, I realize more and more that it is futile to argue with ignorance.

I'll take the shade of a tree over the darkness of ugly minds … every time. Tomorrow I will enjoy the company of black bears, timber rattlesnakes and whatever species of fish will take a number 16 Elk Hair Caddis Fly.

Ah … "civilization."

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Good night; I'm on the mountain and notice the the FP is getting all the play.

No matter. I am on the mountain, surrounded by trees with just enough of an opening in the forest canopy to see the starry sky.

To my NT friends, I wish you were here.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent
link   Larry Crehore    8 years ago

Another beauty Mac love it, keep them coming.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

Gorgeous shot Mac. Have a wonderful holiday weekend. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

A perfect spot for a well-used line:

"I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree." (Joyce Kilmer)

However, A.Mac. In my opinion you already outdid yourself with this absolutely magnificent artistic creation. I cannot tire of staring at it:

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Good morning; I am in the Pocono Mountains and my internet connection comes and goes. I will respond to all the comments when I get back to Philly on Monday night.

But please, in the meantime, don't hesitate to leave a comment … and many thanks for those already posted.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

Now I really like this one and the one Buzz put up as well, but then again I really love trees.  To me it is the perfect blend of white, black and the colors.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Still in the Poconos and while I have a good internet connection I want to post.

The legal fight continues against the placement of 40, 525' high wind turbines on the ridge just up from my house. There are only two main roads into the community here and just the bringing in of construction materials would make access a nightmare.

By Pennsylvania law, those proposing the placement of wind farms are entitled to hearings before zoning boards and a rather attenuated time line in which to do so; my hope is that the zoning board here will say "NO" and do so before the fall colors emerge … and that there will be no appeals.

I'll be back in Philly tonight and I have new pictures to share.

Hope everyone has had a safe weekend.

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent
link   Larry Crehore    8 years ago

Absolutely love these tree shots Mac great work as usual.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    8 years ago

Love this one, too!  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

This reminds me of Winnie the Pooh's the Great Woods, or whatever it was called...  Pooh could be standing right there, all agog...

LOVE this, very much!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    8 years ago

You've outdone yourself A Mac; fantastic!