╌>

Tonality Images Evoke Moods

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  10 comments

Tonality Images Evoke Moods

Tonality is not the same as  value or tone  although it helps to explain value or tonal relationships. While value refers to the relative lightness or darkness of things independent of  color  (as in a black and white photograph), tonality has to do with the way colors unify .

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    8 years ago

Tonality is the quality of light that bathes everything.

Can't seem to get anyone to leave the FP.

Good night.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Possibly, I should be doing something else …

Anyway, good morning.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Interesting photos Mac.

Thanks for the posting.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Great picture, A. Mac!  Thanks for the break from all the bashing...  (I think you know what I mean...)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Good night.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

Lovely photo Mac. I really like the tones you used in it. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

Although I may be applying a different meaning to the word "tone" than indicated by A.Mac's article, there are certain photos that improve with toning rather than leaving them in plain B&W. For example, sepia tone should not be limited to just vintage photos, but can be applied to current ones if it improves the presentation.  To my eye, the photo posted by A.Mac seems more visually appealing than if it were just B&W.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

tonality has to do with the way colors unify .

A primary reason for my long-standing preference for snow scenes and autumn scenes are the inherent unifying properties of the various tints and shades of a snow-covered landscape and the varied, but generally rich colors of the fall foliage.

In a purely "tonal" image, there is generally only a single HUE or COLOR which varies in VALUE (brightness or darkness) and SATURATION (color intensity or lack thereof).

More precisely, TONALITY is a phenomenon related to the unifying quality of LIGHT as it affects an entire photograph, painting, etc. . That means that an image (IMO) need not be limited to one HUE and its variations in order to be "tonal" in quality. To some degree, I believe that whether or not an image is "tonal," is subjective.

For example, I believe this "fantasy" snow scene is "tonal" in feeling albeit not strictly fitting the definition.

original

I took the original in 1992 and added the "tones" recently.  Is it "tonal"? I think so because so much of it is comprised of "middle value" colors. I also think that ultimately, "tonal" or not, the question is academic and the image works.

I welcome any/all opinions on that.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

It works for me!  Untrained, uneducated, and just my personal opinion...  I love it!

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    8 years ago

Good one AMac. Don't always comment, but always check out your works and truly appreciate your sharing them with us.