╌>

When Black Lives Really Matter

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-berlin-halpern  •  8 years ago  •  27 comments

When Black Lives Really Matter

By Perrie Halpern

It's all well and good to protest when there has been a social injustice, and it's also our rights as Americans. But protesting alone will not change the economic and social issues facing black America, leadership does. BLM has not shown itself to true leaders in their communities. They retoric divides instead of unites. 

Here is an example of true leadership within the black community. 

Now imagine how much more could be done, if there were more people like Dwayne Spencer?

BLM started out with good intentions but it has devolved into a very divisive group. It's leadership is not helping the black community in any substantial way, and now has gone beyond the black community involve itself in political agendas that in no way help the black community. It has been co opted by its leadership and that leadership is all talk and no action.  

What we need are more men like Dwayne Spencer. He shows us what can happen when black lives really matter. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

After watching this on the news, I made a donation to Habitat and directed it to Dwayne. 

I am sick and tired of movements that start off with good intentions and then do nothing for the community that they preach they care about. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

As far as I can see the Black Lives Matter movement has become too full of people who are more interested in a strict leftist political ideology than they are in doing practical things to help their people. I think this happens in many political movements. How much emphasis should be put on ideology and how much on doing the dirty work in the community?  I think they have the wrong balance right now. 

The guy in the Habitat For Humanity video is doing more good. 

But if BLM recalibrates itself to a less far left position they can still accomplish a lot. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I agree with your assessment but I more than just protesting they should be actively doing something other than protesting. Improving the quality of life is something that is part of helping your people.  

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    8 years ago

Good article.

Organizations like BLM need to not only speak out about their ideology, they need to also officially and readily be involved in charity work that promotes those same ideals. Habitat is a great place to serve and make real changes for folks.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Organizations like BLM need to not only speak out about their ideology, they need to also officially and readily be involved in charity work that promotes those same ideals.

Exactly, Larry. It is not enough to give lip service to a cause. You must be part of the change. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Agreed.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

I believe that BLM has the right to speak out. But for the speaking to mean something it has to be followed with action to actually help the community that they say they are speaking for.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Of course BLM has the right to speak out and I encourage people who have been abused to always speak out. But to be part of meaningful change, you must do more. Imagine if all of those people who protested just gave 2 days out of their lives building a house, what a real difference it would make. If they went into teaching, or policing their own streets what a difference that would make. Talk is cheap. Actions have always spoken louder than words. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    8 years ago

BLM has lots of support on major college campuses . Here is an article from Yale with several accompanying videos :

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

I have seen that video before and BLM had nothing to do with it, although I don't think that the young woman in the video had an appropriate reaction over the letter about the term "master" being used as a title, which was the issue here. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

I don't think that the young woman in the video had an appropriate reaction over the letter about the term "master" being used as a title, which was the issue here.

I agree but there also seems to be an issue over a ruling about Halloween costumes . Blaming this lone white male for all their trivial complaints is merely sexism & racism in reverse .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Blaming this lone white male for all their trivial complaints is merely sexism & racism in reverse .

I would agree with you, if he wasn't the guy on campus who was handling these issues. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

if he wasn't the guy on campus who was handling these issues.

He did his level best to "handle these issues" but was roundly abused for his efforts . Now this couple has quit the University leaving someone else to sort things out . I wish the new guy luck . He'll need it !

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

There I have to agree. And I think it's a sad commentary on the university that they were bullied by a bunch of college students. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    8 years ago

Black Lives Matter activist changes tune on police following robbery

Because the housing is off-campus, it is not patrolled by University of Houston police officers. Ford says that needs to change.

Oh well , so much for "activism" ...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Typical hypocrisy. Most BLM supporters are painfully clueless.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Having two college age kids in the house, and after hearing them talk with their friends, coming from a college student, I don't think that it's so much hypocrisy as it humerus and youthful arrogance. These 20 somethings think they know everything until they are slapped in the face with reality.

That is why I know so much about BLM. My daughter's school was ground zero for the movement, and they thought at first, that it was great. But as some of their black friends began to have a change in attitude that they found disturbing, they began to dial back their support.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

"These 20 somethings think they know everything until they are slapped in the face with reality."

I can't argue with that!