╌>

Want to End Race Conflict? Stop the Circle Jerk

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jonathan-p  •  8 years ago  •  56 comments

Want to End Race Conflict? Stop the Circle Jerk

By Jonathan P

In today's news, we have yet another incidence of a unarmed black man being shot and killed by a police officer. There seems to be a growing number of these lately. Strangely, it's coming at a time where the rhetoric on these injustices is ever increasing. One would think that if we gave more attention to this situation, we would be in a better position to at least reduce the problem, and work towards making it rare, at best. On the contrary, the more we talk about it; the more attention we give this tragic situation, the more it seems to occur, or at least, maintain its ugly pace.

Our attention isn't working because we keep doing the same wrong thing, over and over again. There are a number of responses and "solutions" that have been offered over and over again, but they have absolutely no traction. Allow me to review a couple of these approaches. There are several, but these 2 examples fit into the lion's share of what we hear, along with the pushback.

1)The white community decries these atrocities, takes some blame, and offers "helpful" suggestions to the black community to help solve the problem.

Response:

a)A minority of the white community offers a mea culpa, taking blame for these atrocities.

b)The black community resents the white community's pronouncement, and asks not to be "talked at" by the white community, and talks back at the white community, using the white "mea culpa" crowd as the voice of their point of view.

2)The black community decries these atrocities, takes some blame, and offers "helpful" suggestions to the white community to help solve the problem.

Response:

a)A minority of the black community offers a mea culpa, taking blame for these atrocities.

b)The white community resents the black community's pronouncement, and asks not to be "talked at" by the black community, and talks back at the black community, using the black "mea culpa" crowd as the voice of their point of view.

There are other responses, but these 2 reactions to unnecessary black civilian death, along with the pushback, are what we see.

To say that there are blindspots in our point of view is to make a gross understatement.

This is what a circle jerk looks like. If we are ever going to get off the merry-go-round; if we are ever going to move forward on a solution, we have to change the formula. This kabuki dance fits neatly into the definition of insanity. We've got to stop this madness, both on the streets and in our hearts and minds.

I personally do not have a solution, but I know that we have to start by making some very simple statements, free from allowing for analysis. We have to keep out the ability for one group or another to interpret a statement to mean that someone else is to blame, or that someone else has to take care of this problem. We all own this; rich, poor, black and white, and as such, we must all buy in. We can spend an eternity blaming each other, or we can work towards solutions.

I think it would be a good start to just begin with simple, factual points. This would give attention to injustice, and hopefully clear the deck to get started on solutions. So here goes:

1)Black people in America have been getting a bad deal for 400 years.

2)Black slavery in America ended in 1865, but they still got a bad deal. It was not as bad as before the end of the war, but it was still a bad deal.

3)A Constitutional Amendment was passed 52 years ago to outlaw discrimination, but black people are still getting a bad deal.

Black people have to stop getting a bad deal.

I could go on, but there is beauty in simplicity. As I said, I don't have a solution. But we need to start simply, reminding ourselves over and over of the facts, in order to address this more directly and, if possible, simply.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   seeder  Jonathan P    8 years ago

We cannot wait for the other guy to make the "right move", while badgering them to do things that perhaps belie our own unwillingness to take responsibility.

And, it absolutely cuts both ways. Without a proactive strategy, the circlejerk will continue in perpetuity.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Jonathan P   8 years ago

There is a question that American society has tried hard to avoid for a hundred years. Are black people "the other"?  This question and the lack of resolution of it are at the heart of the continuation of the "race problem". Underclass blacks (and some other blacks) have never fully assimilated into mainstream American life. Why?  Other minority groups did assimilate. Is it a residue of slavery, where black skin itself is a reminder of that submission and loss of dignity? Is the lack of assimilation a psychological rebellion of a people who were forced from their homeland? The infamous Rev Wright used this "otherness" as the heart of his appeal to his followers. He told those poor souls that they would NEVER be accepted as equals by the white people of America. So far, he has not been proven entirely wrong. 

I don't really know the answer, but I do believe it has to come from addressing black distress from both ends, white racism on one end, and black alienation on the other. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

The answer to the problem can be found in Libertarian beliefs. Quit stealing from productive people and giving to lazy bums that have created multigenerational cultural problems of believing someone other than themselves is responsible for their wellbeing. The only way to change these deeply embedded cultural problems is to return to our founding where each man was responsible for himself. We need to admit the governments actions are what is holding us back from moving forward. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

If you do that and only that you are blaming the victims. Racism does exist and in some people it is as strong as it has ever been. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Not all minorities assimilated John winking

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

Jonathan I am on board with you and agree with everything you said... but be careful, we will be branded liberals. 

1.There are some simple facts that no one wants to recognize. There is a long history post reconstruction that has lead us to where we are today and yes they got a raw deal. 

2. There is disfunction in the poor black communities. This needs to be addressed by both black leaders and and Americans at large

3. Being a cop is not an easy job. We have lots of good cops but some bad ones. That big blue wall doesn't help anyone, and only breeds fear of our police. 

4. The reaction to some of these events is counter productive. Violence begets violence. MLK was a wise man and showed how peaceful non hateful demonstration gets you much further. BLM, breeds hate and discontent. We need better leadership within the community, but we also need to be more accountable for actions taken out of the black community. 

Did I miss something? Please feel free to add. 

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   seeder  Jonathan P  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Perrie,

Saying that blacks have, and continue to get a bad deal is not an ideological statement. I understand that anything we say today can be politically parsed, but the ultimate objective is to block out the chance for any group of consequence to hijack the solution for the sake of their own political, ideological or financial gain.

Your point 2. - There is dysfunction in poor communities of all walks. And yes, local leaders have to buy in for any progress to be made. Everyone must by in at every turn.

Your point 4. - BLM is not buying in to solutions. They agitate, irritate and inflame the condition further. Everyone must buy in at every turn, and pull together.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

3. Being a cop is not an easy job. We have lots of good cops but some bad ones. That big blue wall doesn't help anyone, and only breeds fear of our police. 

There are a LOT of racists in large urban police forces (which is where the action is). I know about a dozen Chicago cops personally. There is only one of them that I could say with certainty has no racist beliefs. 

I don't think they necessarily want to be racist, although some do. Some of them become racist after being on the job. They succumb. 

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   seeder  Jonathan P  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

The most proactive solution that I have heard relating to police forces is to compose them in as close a racial balance as the community that they cover. Today, Chicago announced a large increase coming in the force.

Do you think this would help?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Jonathan P   8 years ago

I know that in Chicago it has always been standard procedure for newly minted patrol officers to be assigned to the "bad" areas. One reason for that is the effect of attrition. A lot of cops with seniority opt for being moved to a "quiet" district where they can finish their police careers in peace. That disproportionately leaves the ones without seniority for the bad neighborhoods.  I don't know if this would allow for a total "have the police force look like the neighborhood" or not. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jonathan P   8 years ago

The most proactive solution that I have heard relating to police forces is to compose them in as close a racial balance as the community that they cover.

I think that will go along way to trust. So sure that would help.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

you know Jr I wont and cant disagree , with what you said, but I do have to ask myself one thing, is the perceived racism actually racism? or is it prejudice learned through constant immersion in  a setting? seeing the same things day in and day out without seeing any change, that could also account for the attrition factor and cops looking for a different setting to work in.  One can look like the other even though there is a difference, however subtle the difference might be and one doesn't nessisarily have to be the other either though the line of difference is very thin. personally  I think that's something to think about.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

You mentioned the issues need to be addressed by the Black leaders.

There are no Black leaders.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   seeder  Jonathan P    8 years ago

Let me give you small taste of what we're dealing with:

I have a client who I needed to accompany to a car dealership in order prevent her from being charged 12% interest on the purchase of a new vehicle. She was gainfully employed for more than 10 years, had savings of more than $50,000 and had an Experian score of more than 700. Oh, and did I mention? She's black.

I had to sit at the desk and stare at the finance manager until she was given the 2.9% that the rest of the world was getting. That was in 2007. Why did I need to do that? Because we still don't get it as a society, and despite the appropriate rate, I was still able to have the finance manager terminated. And do you think he's changed? Do you think he's any less prejudiced? Is it possible that he learned anything from the experience?

What do I have to say? One down, 80 million to go? 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Jonathan P   8 years ago

I have a client who I needed to accompany to a car dealership in order prevent her from being charged 12% interest on the purchase of a new vehicle.

I can't understand that.  If the woman was doing so well, didn't she know she didn't have to finance the car at the dealership.  I've never financed a car at a dealership before.  You should have sent her to her bank where she had the $50,000 instead.  She probably would have gotten an even better deal.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   seeder  Jonathan P  replied to  sixpick   8 years ago

I asked her that question. She felt that it was to her long term advantage to pay the 2.9%, in order to get her FICO score about 800, which was her goal. She brought me because she wanted me to bear witness to the treatment she'd been receiving at the hands of finance managers for the previous 2 autos.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

I do believe that the point that Jonathan is trying to make is that unlike anyone else, blacks wear who they are on their skin, and because of that, certain assumptions are made. 

Her credit was good. Would the same thing happen if a white person walked into the dealership with the same record? 

There is nothing wrong with Capitalism, if it is equally applied. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

People don't understand human nature. Human beings are fallen creatures that will exploit others if given the temptation. This is the reason that we cannot have unfettered capitalism. There would be WIDESPREAD exploitation. To say otherwise is to live in a utopian fantasy. Those willing to exploit would certainly not be above throwing race into the mix. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Capitalism is what gives most their drive to succeed in life. We know when we remove that drive, people don't perform. Take communist Russia. When everyone worked for the same amount, they lost professionals like doctors. If you work hard, you should be compensated. The only limitation that I feel is really important is antitrust. Monopolies take away choice and make those corporations way too powerful in the gov. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Human beings are fallen creatures that will exploit others if given the temptation. This is the reason that we cannot have unfettered capitalism. A society that wants to survive recognizes the need to minimize exploitation. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

perrie , the same can be applied to women , how many times have we heard of mechanics treating a woman different and going for charges that are not really needed? simply because they are women?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   8 years ago

I have quite a few instances of that, myself...  So, I know it's true that it happens!!!

The funniest time, I bought the lifetime guarantee for a Midas Muffler for my '65 Mercury Comet.  Well, of course, they didn't put it in right, and, and after it failed, they told me it needed a whole new muffler system.  I said, go ahead!  When they were done, I pulled out my lifetime warranty.  They couldn't charge me a dime.  They deserved what they got!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   8 years ago

Mark,

I'm gonna one up you there. When I was going through college I was a welder for an auto body shop. Guess how horrified men were once I took off my protective gear and they saw a woman there after they slapped me on the back for a good job? I have to say that I enjoyed the look on their faces. Same thing when I was a bassist for my band. When we played shady places I used to wear a leather jacket and a cap with my hair underneath. When I came out with the band and looked like a girl, guys used to tell my band member that the guy bassist was way better than the girl. LOL.... so yeah I know about these things. 

BTW, no repair place ever took advantage of me... I knew way too much. 

It's true that people take advantage where they can. It doesn't make it right. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

I can sooooo relate to this!  30+ years of being called, "Little Boy", and they were utterly aghast that I was a "woman on the rig"...  

Sigh!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

Trump's "African-American" town hall on Hannity

Cs5Bp8fWgAAhzPG.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

LMAO, that's some outreach...

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Maybe the whites had to sit in the back, lol

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    8 years ago

One minority group that has not been listened to on this issue is cops . But they are not a talkative bunch in any case .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Don King is in favor of replacing the term "black" with a former "N" word . See video :

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Cops are not a minority group, c'mon .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  pat wilson   8 years ago

Cops are not a minority group, c'mon .

Cops are a small minority of the public ... The word has more than one meaning .

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Sooooo are doctors, firemen, teachers, clerks, pet groomers, etc. , etc.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  pat wilson   8 years ago

Yes , exactly . So stop using the word "minority" in just the liberal meaning ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

I might comment if I had any idea what "circle jerk" meant. I guess my linguistic skills are somewhat outdated.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

LOL i have to do this , sexual conatation , similar to a daisy chain orgy , each person mastribates the person next to then people in a circular formation......

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   8 years ago

Does the first one who comes win a prize, or do they do it to a recording of John Lennon singing: "Come Together"?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

LOL Buzz