╌>

The Last Day of Marching Season

Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  25 comments

The Last Day of Marching Season

john 12 foot moai.jpg Since the first weekend of July, my family has been tied up in marching season for my son's high school band.  First, there was band camp, starting the second week of July-- two weeks of 9 am to 9 pm days for my son, as my husband spent every Saturday and Sunday and every night after work, making giant Easter Island Heads, called, the Moai, as band props, for 9+ weeks.  There were 6 of them, two were 8' tall, three were 10' tall, and one, whom we all named Larry, was 12' tall.  This picture shows how HUGE Larry is, really.  He was hard to maneuver and we had to rent a truck, just for him!

After band camp, my son had practice 4 days a week, and some Saturdays, marching around learning the dance steps and dot placement of the band show-- all while playing his mellophone.  I've marched with a French Horn before, and that's tough, as the mouthpiece ends up in your eye, and down your chin, and in your ear, but a mello is a little easier to march with-- but not much.  You still must look straight ahead, while keeping track of your feet, and somehow sensing where the people are around you, and keep your tune...  It takes a lot of skill, dexterity, and just plain chutzpah, to do all that and move ahead with confidence, while blowing your brains out through your horn.

The choreography of a band show is really a difficult thing to do-- getting 120 kids in formations, moving them about, making sure the color guard girls are swishing flags together, as if pulled by one string, and then, dealing with the Moai.  Especially Larry, who stands up at the end of the show...

As a band mom, I've helped, although at a much slower pace and reduced lifting this year.  I guess my main job is chief support for all the band parents AND kids--  I do my best to be cheerful, consoling, smiling, positive, and helpful.  This is easier when you have such a great group of parents and kids.  I'm not used to large congenial groups.  Get a bunch of geologists together and we seem to never really get along that well-- it's a bunch of old, cranky, obstreperous men, who will gladly come to blows over the name of a fossil that died over 250 million years ago, (I don't care what you call it, just quit changing its name...), or whether or not that round hard spot in Kentucky is really a crater from a meteor strike or just a giant laccolith, like Stone Mountain...  Sigh!

So, being with the band parents is really a treat, for me.  Sure, we have our people that are difficult to deal with, but we all somehow manage to put the kids first, and our egos on the back burner.  (And if not, I thank them for their help and remind them that our kids come first and that's why we're all here...  But we couldn't do it without you!  Laugh )

Matthew kung fu 2.jpg Today was the last day of Marching Band Season.  We attended our last contest-- KMEA, (Kentucky Music Education Association), Semi-Finals.  We didn't make finals, and we were robbed, robbed , I tell you, but the kids put on their best show of the season, and I thought it was fantastic!  Band moms managed to tamp down simmering hostilities and put together a nice lunch for the kids and had Gatorade and snacks waiting for those returning from the field.  Band Dads lifted that barge and toted that bail, and for once, our resident klutz didn't injure anyone, including himself.  This picture is of Kung Fu Matthew, who has to stuff his hair up under his hat, with two of his mellomates.  And, yes, I've made the decision that a happy kid with long hair is better than a well-groomed, unhappy kid.  He's 18 and can do what he wants, as long as his hair isn't blue.

The band director was very kind to me-- hugged me in fact-- and I think he knows I'm trying to help.  And the kids!  Just about all of them hugged me and told me they were going to miss "Mama Meyer".  So, my adopted children know I love them, and that is what matters.  

The band that won 2nd place, had a Sousaphone incident, where the entire line of Sousaphones fell down, on top of each other, like dominos, smashing their instruments, and it took 1.5 minutes for them to stand up and get sorted out.  I mean, 2nd place?   REALLY???  I guess because they have over 300 band members, it wasn't noticed.  We're a much smaller band-- 120 marchers, including color guard, and 6 Moai, who stand there...  Either that, or the band judges don't like our dance steps, which would never have flown back in my day-- 45 years ago...  Or SOMETHING.  I think we need to quit going to KMEA.  I think we need to switch band contests and just have a lot of fun somewhere else.  But what do I know?  Anyway, this is our show, final run of the season....  NOW what do I do?  I'll have a family life again!!!

band moms gone wild.jpg And this is me, with one of my good friends/band moms-- I'm the gray one. and Tracy is the beautiful one-- still having trouble standing upright...  And yes, my hair looks weird.  I'm growing it out to donate to the American Cancer Society, and it's too long and cumbersome to do much with but stick it up in a bun on my head.  My hair didn't do well the evening this picture was made, and was slipping off the back of my head.  Oh well, sometimes you get the bear and sometimes, the bear gets you!

Yeah, I look old.  and Yeah, I AM old.  Everyone thinks I'm Matthews Grandma, but I just got a late start in life...  However, soon, I will be a real Grandma, or an Oma, anyway, as my stepdaughter is having a little girl, due Dec. 31!   So That's Exciting!  A Grandbaby to love on!  I'm going to have to get my shots...  (pneumonia, whooping cough, etc.) again!

Don't you just love our shirts?  I'll treasure it forever.  We play music and dance around as we cook.  Truly Band Moms Gone Wild...  (No liquor allowed at school activities...)

I'm really going to miss seeing these lovely ladies, kind gentlemen, and fabulous kids!!!

Thanks for coming by!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser    8 years ago

More fun to look forward to!  A Grandbaby, and winter concert season!  The band is going to march at Disney World on Dec. 31st, my stepdaughter's due date, and I don't think we'll get to go...  But it's worth it to see the new Grandbaby!

I'm going to be an OMA!  (oh-mah)  That's German for Grandma!  winking

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Dear Friend Dowser: All the best to the Mom to be, her family and yours.

Great news.

E.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

Thank you, dear friend!

My stepdaughter has MS, so we're hoping and praying that all goes well-- so far, she seems to be doing wonderfully well!  Of course, she is entering the final, uncomfortable stage of pregnancy.  I'm trying to be cheerful, but concerned, and supportive-- if such a thing is possible.  winking

We bought the baby a crib and mattress for her shower gift.  Shopping from her registered list of things she wanted...  I can't wait to shop for baby clothes again!  thumbs up

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    8 years ago

Congrats to you, your family, and the whole band. Especially to you and Magnum, as you were both pretty well involved. What a huge successful season you all had. Hope all is well with you and your whole family, Dowser, dear lady. Much love to you. ((((((())))))

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  deepwaterdon   8 years ago

Much love to you, too, Don!  We've all be absolutely covered up with band for several months now, and I'm glad it is over-- yet will miss all our friends and "band family" members.  At least we'll get to see the kids at concerts!

MUCH love to you, dear Don!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

Great video!!!  I'd be lost after or during the first minute.  That took a whole lot of work.  Sorry it didn't make the finals, but I can't understand why.

Very nice Easter Island statues as well.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  sixpick   8 years ago

I know exactly how you feel!  Thanks so much for your kind words!

I do know, from personal experience, that you get used to hitting your dot, and they got to where they hit it each time.  There were a few small glitches, but nothing really huge, and it was a great show!  I love the music, too!!!

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

Lady Dowser you are so darn cute!  I do love your shirts and think it's so noble that you're donating your hair.  

I LOVED the video.  I've always been impressed with those who played in the band.  I'm sure it takes a lot of practice playing an instrument and perform the choreographed routine.  They sounded and looked great.  Thanks for sharing and a job well done by your son.

Congratulations on your upcoming new role as Oma!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

Thanks, dear PJ!

I am far from cute-- I look like an olive on a toothpick these days-- my legs stay skinny and the rest of me just keeps on going!  But, I've had a wonderful time with everyone, especially these wonderful kids, and am very grateful to be able to participate!  All these kids and parents work so very hard to put this together, and present a show worth watching.  

It takes a couple of years for my hair to get long enough to donate, but I'm going to keep doing it, likely.  I rolled my hair, at least once a day, since 1969, and by now, I'm fed up with winding it around hot rollers, or trying to smooth it out with a curling iron.  Plus, now that I can't see that well, I end up getting burned, every time I try the curling iron.  This is easier and while NOT my best style, it just makes sense for me right now.  I look like a little old lady, and since I am one, that's fine by me!  winking

I'm really looking forward to having a grand baby to add to the family-- and only hope that all goes well!  thumbs up

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Great video Dowser,

Congratulations to Matthew, the band and you and Magnum.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Dearest friend, thank you!!!

We've all worked so hard!  Magnum has spent so much time on these Moai, first making them, then fixing them every time we go out on the field.  We were transporting one, and it came loose in the back of the truck, to take a nose dive onto the chow wagon we were pulling.  That took more sanding and painting, and his eyebrow is a little misshapen, but I don't think anyone really noticed it.  TRue to his name, Dum-Dum decided to dive off the back of the truck...

Much love to you and the girls, dear Kavika!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    8 years ago

I can relate strongly to this, Dowser. My daughter owns and manages a Performance Company, Summer Camp and Musical Theater!

The real benefits for kids who participate, are the interaction, cooperation and the putting in of energy to create positive outcomes.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

These are all good kids-- and you know what I mean.  So, fortunately, my son has had the best of the school kids, as far as heart, courage, and niceness, to be friends with.  Thank God!  They all help each other and behave well.  They have really matured this season, and the responsibility has been good for them!  It's a giant brotherhood, so to speak.

I keep telling Matthew, I know you're sad to be leaving the band, and that marching band is over, but I'm still friends, close friends, with my bandmates from 45 years ago-- you will be too.  You've made lifelong friends that you will treasure the rest of your life!  That is worth a lot!

Thanks for your words of encouragement, and I know you understand how important other people, good people, can be in your life...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

It looks like a lot of fun for all involved Dowser. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

Thank  you, dear John!  It is fun, hard work, blood, sweat, tears, and fellowship.  It looks like a conglomeration of disparate people moving around out there, but these kids have taken a gaggle, and turned it into a team.  A good life lesson to learn!  

Even if we didn't win, these kids are champions and winners.  And yes, we were robbed!  Robbed, I tell you!  But these kids were all winners.  They behaved VERY maturely for their loss and made it a point to congratulate the winners, and be nice to all the other bands out there.  No hard feelings, anywhere!

What is ironic-- my high school band, (Owensboro High School), competed in the AAA championship held at our high school, for the first time in many years, and I didn't get to go see them and wish them well...  Such a disappointment!  But, at least they are competing again, and they have my heart, too.  I always look for my favorite groups-- sentimental favorite groups, like little Hancock County, where my Grandpa played in the Hawesville band, and little Henry County, where my Grandma grew up, and Muhlenburg County, who were our arch-rivals way back when, just to wish them luck and offer encouragement.  Daviess County, which is the county where I grew up, and Calloway County and Murray, which is where I went to college...  And on and on and on...  Band kids are the best, and they let this little old lady wish them the best and root for them-- I root for all bands.  All of them work so hard!!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser    8 years ago

Ok, I'm putting this here because there is no other way I can copy/paste/save.  This is my letter to the Kentucky Marching Band network, in response to the last competition.  My son tells me not to send this, or post it where it can be traced back to the band.  I know he's right, but I'm so irked, I have to do something with it!!!  So, here it goes:

This is my last year as a band parent.  No, I am not a music educator, nor am I an expert on anything other than my field of study.  I am a 5th generation band/orchestra member and my son is the 6th generation...  Therefore, I have a 'background' in music and have participated in band competitions, as a member or a booster, since the 1970s.  Big whoopee.  I watch for straight lines, even curvilinear formations, well-spaced intervals between band members, musical performance, and overall looks of the show.  There are a lot of very imaginative and entertaining shows out there-- more than just a Park and Bark.  I commend these bands that are working so hard to 'push the envelope'!

I have managed to keep my mouth shut for 4 years, since my son has been in band.  But, after this last competition, I can restrain myself no longer.  The system is not conducive to good music education, which should encourage bands and band members, NOR does it offer a fair, unbiased competition to the many bands out there in the state.  Having same 4-6 bands win every year, for 27 years, tells me that there is a problem.  Maybe the larger bands are that good, and maybe the smaller, mid-sized bands just don't stand a chance.

Should bands be classed on school size or band size?  That is a HUGE issue that I see.  How can a <150 member band compete against a >250 member band?  I have seen one of the winning bands go out onto the field, when fully 20+% of the marching members don't even have mouth pieces.  Isn't that against some rule somewhere?  Why don't the judges see that?  Have they already made up their minds about who is going to win and don't care?

And where do they get these judges?  It is obvious that, in watching our show, the judges did not know what they were doing...  They complemented us on our "beautiful golden clarinet".  It's a soprano sax, you idiot.  Even I know that, and I'm a scientist.

NOT to mention that it was reported that the finals scores were published in the Lexington Herald/Leader at 5 pm-- about 5 hours before the final bands even competed.  What's up with that?  Does KMEA just carve up the scores as they see fit?  

I wish to congratulate all the winners-- their shows were excellent, and, based on the videos of their performances, they deserved to win.  I must note that no matter how the competition is carved up, our band would not have automatically made finals.  So this is not a sore loser posting.  But there are some inherent flaws in the way it is currently organized, and in the training of the judges-- they are not trained, so how do they know what they are seeing?  Obviously, they don't.  

I'm just glad that I never, ever, have to attend another KMEA championship.  I will be lobbying for our school, and all other mid-sized bands, to drop all KMEA competitions, period, and go elsewhere.  I do NOT feel that it is a fair contest, in any way, and I am disappointed in the KMEA system.  Something is really wrong, here.  

All these kids work so hard, and do their best.  They do not deserve to compete in a system that is rigged against them.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

NOT to mention that it was reported that the finals scores were published in the Lexington Herald/Leader at 5 pm-- about 5 hours before the final bands even competed.  What's up with that?  Does KMEA just carve up the scores as they see fit?  

That kind of nails it down.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Does, doesn't it?  I mean, how could a newspaper publish the final scores before the competition even took place?  I'm Irked.  IRKED, I tell you!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

I'd like to see their response to that.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Me, too, Kavika.  Of course, I have to gather my courage and run it by the band parent president before I send anything or post anything on this band network, BUT, I'm mad and willing to do so!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    8 years ago

My sister and her family have been in marching band now for about 8 years, their senior graduated last year, they have two more coming through the program for the next 6 years. They love it and are super busy all the time with band,,,great for kids that's for sure. Congrats on your family's involvement and your continued passion. One thing the world surely could use is MORE MUSIC!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Thanks, Larry!  It is a great family activity!  thumbs up

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Come to think of it, the premature newspaper story is like the Comey letter; he knew what was on the laptop before he opened it.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Come to think of it, the premature newspaper story is like the Comey letter; he reported what was on the laptop before he opened it.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Yep.  Funny how the scores were the exact same as published...  Of course we were out of it by then, but still...  Funny how the entire tuba/sousaphone line of the 3rd place winner fell down, but one, and they were within 2 points of the winner.  Yet, we were marked down so much for a loud mic, and wind in the mic, AND a "synthesized" flute solo...  

Or as Daddy would say, Funny damn thing to me!