The two met when Brooks’ wife suggested he book an appointment with Chastain. Afterward, Brooks, who has training with peer support and trauma counseling through the Wounded Warrior Project, was impressed with Chastain’s soft touch, and thought she could help veterans struggling with their combat experiences. Chastain saw the partnership as an opportunity to honor her grandfather, a Vietnam War veteran now facing health issues because of his exposure to the defoliant Agent Orange.

Before they got started, Chastain and Brooks visited her grandfather to present the idea of the project, and Brooks was able to elicit emotions from him that Chastain saw as cementing the need to go forward.

“I never really knew his story. He never talked about it,” she said of her grandfather, who has “Love” and “Hate” tattooed on his knuckles. “It was a side of my grandfather that I had never seen before.”

C-O-U-R-A-G-E-O-U-S

Warrior Ink could be the definition of the phrase “shoestring operation.” It’s just Brooks and Chastain. They don’t charge a fee and don’t accept donations.

Since the project began in August, news of their work has spread through a modest Facebook page but mostly by word of mouth through the state’s veteran community.

Just recently, Chastain left the Rochester shop to venture off on her own, temporarily postponing bookings through the rest of the year. Still, vets are already lining up for a chance to spend a few hours on Chastain’s table in 2017.

She hopes to open her own shop in Austin, Minn., and resume the project by January. Supporters have started a GoFundMe page, but Chastain says she will continue on her own terms and with her own financing if she must.

“It’s important for me to pay it forward,” she said.

~LINK~