╌>

The Story of the Family that Couldn't Sleep

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  perrie-berlin-halpern  •  8 years ago  •  23 comments

The Story of the Family that Couldn't Sleep

This is TALK OF THE NATION: SCIENCE FRIDAY. I am Ira Flatow.

A bit later in the hour, a mathematical mystery. But first up, a medical mystery. A new book tells the tale of an Italian family suffering from a rare and deadly disease called fatal familial insomnia. Just like it says, it's insomnia, an illness that literally kills its victim by robbing them of the ability to sleep. They die of exhaustion. You know how you say I'm just so tired I could die. These people actually die of exhaustion.

The disease is linked by the new science of prions to outbreaks of the neurological disease kuru in Papua New Guinea in the 1950s, and mad cow disease in the UK in the last decade. So we're going to start this hour by talking about the family that could not sleep and the strange protein called the prion. And if you'd like to join our discussion, our number is 1-800-989-8255, 1-800-989-TALK.

D.T. Max is a science writer and the author of The Family That Couldn't Sleep: A Medical Mystery. He's written for The New York Times and the New Yorker, and he joins us today from our NPR studios in Washington. Welcome to the program.

Mr. D.T. MAX (Author, The Family That Couldn't Sleep): Thanks very much.

FLATOW: This sounds like a really unusual disease. They really die because they can't sleep.

Mr. MAX: That's essentially right. It's a disease, fatal familial insomnia. The name sort of puts it all on the table. It's a progressive, inherited condition, characterized by eventually a total insomnia - leading within about nine months time to death.

FLATOW: So you're awake - you're dying when you're awake because you can't sleep?

Mr. MAX: Yeah, I think that's one way to look at it. We don't really know. One of the reasons I was drawn to this project to begin with is really the question of why we sleep. And in fact, we still don't really know why we sleep. But paradoxically, we know we have to sleep.

And in the case of this family - much for the same reasons that we have this paradox I've just laid out - this family cannot sleep and they ultimately die - and therefore we believe they die from a lack of sleep. There are other causative problems. They lose the ability to regulate their autonomic systems - their sweating, and their pupils become these tiny little pinpricks. I mean many things happen to them. It's almost a kind of a plane crash of a disease, and yet they have a complete insomnia that's clearly one of the key symptoms and one of the causes of the death.

FLATOW: And you say this is probably the worst disease in the world because of people suffering from it are aware they're awake, about what's happening to them.

Mr. MAX: That's right. I mean I would always be reluctant to rank diseases in terms of horribleness, but I think a case certainly could be made that this disease in many ways - one, because of this insomnia - and anyone who's ever, you know, suffered insomnia knows just how dreadful a condition it is...

FLATOW: Right, right.

Mr. MAX: ...even if the insomnia is simply worries about work tomorrow.

FLATOW: Sure.

Mr. MAX: You stay awake and the clock ticks and the clock ticks. But while this disease has much in common with Alzheimer's in terms of some of the things going on physiologically in the brain, what makes it quite different from Alzheimer's is that you - is that many, many of the sufferers of the disease have the ability to understand exactly what's going on. And even to be in, you know, routine verbal contact with their loved ones at the end, even though they've had this extraordinary insomnia.

FLATOW: You say there are about 40 families in the world known to have this disease.

Mr. MAX: Yeah, that would be a bit of a guess. We have 40 families based on the genomes that we know, and we can extrapolate from that that probably there would be maybe around 200 families worldwide. And I would emphasize that these - this disease, which is a mutation, of course - that these 200 families would all have developed the mutation probably separately.

FLATOW: Hmm. And you trace - it's interesting - in the book you trace the disease through several generations of an Italian family. One of the most memorable cases was a man named Silvano. Tell us about him.

Mr. MAX: Well, Silvano was a member of the family in the 1980s. And Silvano - the disease as far as I could trace it back - and I had the assistance of the family in digging through records.

In Italy, records are kept - these sorts of records are still kept in the parish houses of the churches, because the Catholic church was once responsible for recording births and deaths. And so the way they would assemble - the family would assemble information on its ancestors was, you know, you'd have to go into the church, and you'd have to ask for the records. But in Italy, records aren't really freely available. So there's a figure in the book named Ignazio - who's a young doctor who marries into the family and who - Ignazio's very much responsible for helping to solve the mystery of fatal familial insomnia.

Ignazio was an organist. He was an ardent Catholic in the Italian fashion, which means that he really - as he used to love to say to me - I believe because it's absurd.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Mr. MAX: So Ignazio is also an avid organist and very talented. And Ignazio would go into the church and he would ask the priest could he go and, you know, play the organ. And the priest would say sure, and Ignazio would play for a little while, and then the priest would get bored and go back into the parish house. You know, in Italy, priests have really quite nice parish houses, and they have someone who looks after them, so it's kind of its own life.

And then when Ignazio noticed that the priest was no longer listening, he would sneak down into the basement where the parish records were taken - were kept - and he would take photographs of anyone who had the same last name as his wife's family.

So with his help, I was able to trace the disease back to the 1760s, in all probability to a doctor, fascinatingly enough, who probably - I doubt he was the first member of the family, but he might well have been. You know, it could also have gone back further. But when you get before the Napoleonic era, you pretty much lose records in Italy because of the devastation of the Napoleonic Wars.

In any event, fast-forward to Silvano; we're in the 1980s. And, you know, Italy had become very rich in the period from the end of the Second World War to the 1980s, and Silvano was very much a product of the new Italy. He was a stunningly handsome man who loved to go out at night. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Silvano not wearing a tuxedo.

So this was a man who, from the way I look at things, would probably not have been well-equipped to deal with a devastating disease, just because he was, again, to my mind, a man who very much judged by exteriors. He was a very external man. But he was also the head of the family - which in Italy is a very potent post - and he had just watched two of his sisters die from this unnamed, familial disease of which clearly had an important insomnia component.

So Silvano, in his heart, always knew, I think, that he would get the disease. And one thing we haven't mentioned that we should, is that the disease strikes in your 50s. So you get - one reason the disease doesn't burn itself out, the way of many severe genetic mutations, is because you live long enough to reproduce...

FLATOW: Right.

Mr. MAX: ...so it foils that mechanism, so to say, by which most diseases are - most really virulent genetic diseases are eliminated.

Silvano one day, in the Italian style, was dancing with his mother. And in Italy, you know, young bachelors are always dancing with their mothers, even today. And so he noticed he was sweating, which he knew from his experience with sisters was the first sign of the disease. And so Silvano understood what was happening. He'd always really known, I think, that he was going to get the disease. And then he went and looked in the mirror and he saw that his pupils had become these tiny pinpricks, and he knew for sure what was happening.

And rather than just say, OK, I'm going to give up, I'm going to die, he really decided that he was going to throw everything he had, all of his strength, into trying to understand what was killing his family. And so he went to a neurological institute in Bologna, with the help of Ignazio - this young man who had married into the family - and he basically said to them - he sat down with a young neurologist who really just graduated from, you know, graduated shortly before and had done his neurology residency.

And the neurologists will tell me, you know, what seems to be the problem? And so Silvano says - you know, this is obviously taking place in Italian - he says I know how I'm going to die. It's exactly the way that my father died and my two sisters have died, and I can give you all the details.

And the neurologist was stunned, because you know, neurologists are trained in the art of euphemism. They don't really have much to offer, but they do their best. And so the neurologist said, you know, please, please, sir, you know, we have cures, we have palliatives. And Silvano said - he said, cut the nonsense, I assume when I'm gone you'll want the brain. That was Silvano. He was able to confront what was going to happen with great courage. And through the experience, through the extensive EEGs that were taken of his brain - because really nobody had done a proper EEG before on any of these people. EEGs were traditionally done in little snapshots. You know, what the family - what you needed to diagnose this family was to leave in an EEG in place for an hour, and then you would see that the brainwaves looked like nothing we had in the literature.

And you know, Silvano eventually, he died, and - but what had been learned from him, that this disease - that insomnia wasn't just a byproduct of this disease, but a key component of the disease. We really owe this to Silvano, although, you know, at that point there was still much, much left to be discovered about the disease. But it was the first step. It was the first step beyond saying we have a familial encephalitis, which was the typical diagnosis, you know...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6503414

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Berlin-Halpern
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Perrie Berlin-Halpern    8 years ago

I found this story fascinating, since first hearing about it in a medical drama. Not believing it was true, I researched it, and lo and behold, it was!  

It's actually a very chilling disease. But we are learning about prions from it, which are the proteins that affect people who get Mad Cow Disease and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD). Having lost a family friend to CJD, I found this fascinating.  I hope some other science geeks do, too! 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Perrie Berlin-Halpern   8 years ago

You seem to be implying that the disease is associated with other prion diseases . Is that the case ?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Yes, read on in the article. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

OK , I read some more . Prions are almost like "ice-nine" if you remember that story ...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

I don't. Please tell me about it. 

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Here is the fictional but horrific details involving ice nine :

Ice nine was a fictional devastating form of ice developed in Kurt Vonnegut 's novel Cat's Cradle .

"When ice-nine comes into contact with liquid water below 45.8 °C (thus effectively becoming supercooled ), it acts as a seed crystal and causes the solidification of the entire body of water, which quickly crystallizes as more ice-nine."

You can see the similarity to prions in that exposure to prions causes the other normal proteins in the human body to turn into more prions bringing about death ...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

Keeping prisoners awake for days at a time is considered a form of torture. To die from the inability to sleep sounds horrible.

When I am over tired I get headaches and that is bad enough. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I never sleep. Didn't you notice?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

I have. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    8 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: This is indeed fascinating.

Thanks for posting it.

More common sleep disorders, like severe congestive and/or obstructive sleep apnea and/or hypopnea are too common, and too rarely diagnosed.

They can be fatal.

They are associated with maladies such as coronary artery and vascular disease, diabetes mellitus, morbid obesity and a host of other troublesome problems.  

When the Circadian (Sleep) cycle is disrupted, that is bad for every cell in the body Why?

Shy REM (rapid eye movement) sleep stages, the brain cannot produce and connect to synapses serotonin and leptin. These brain chemicals are associated with cell rejuvenation and mood stabilization.

When the body cannot renew itself. advanced de-catabolism (rapid aging) occurs.

Sleep was once thought by some laymen as nature's mistake and a waste of time. It leaves us vulnerable to predators. It can take up to one third of our lives.

It is now increasing viewed by health care professionals as critical for good physical, intellectuial and emotional health.

For those interested, there is presently a multi-year University of Pennsylvania Medical School national study called NITES. That acronym stands for National Initiative for Tracking and Evaluating Sleeplessness.

They still may be taking new study volunteers. Check out their web site using the search engine of your choice. You take no drugs of any kind to participate in this research. Its all surveys. There is no downside potential.

Peace, Abundant Blessings, and Copping Lots of Quality Z's.

Chalomot Tovot U'Metukot. Sleep Deep, Dream Sweet.

Enoch.

'     

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

Hello Enoch,

Neurology, and sleep in particular has been of interest to me for a very long time. I don't often talk about it here, but I have a mitochondrial disease, and part of it causes me to have night seizures. I have had 3 sleep studies done, and they have all been quite  interesting from a scientific POV. I met people with sleep apnea (my mom, sister and uncle have a familiar form of it), and several people with narcolepsy.  Just talking to them was a trip... wide awake one minute, fast asleep the next. But I was the only with severe nocturnal myoclonus. That means as I enter REM sleep, I am suddenly awoken by a small seizure. We have all had this happen to us... that feeling like you are falling and hit the bed. But for me, this goes on all night, so without medication, I wouldn't have REM sleep. 

The most interesting part of this was that the tech showed me my brainwaves and video of me sleeping. You could clearly see the seizure start on the waves... but the jerking part happened about 30 seconds later.. and also showed on the brainwaves. It was totally fascinating. Good thing there are meds to control this... or I might be dying to sleep, too. I wished I could have seen the other sleepers recordings.. but that would be illegal. I have only found some on the internet, in my quest to understand sleep. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: Private email with contacts on this topic sent. 

E.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Fascinating!  Having had insomnia for many years, (not so much lately), I can understand how devastating this can be!!!

Hope everyone here sleeps well!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

At my age I have to get up every two or three hours to pee. I can no longer get a good solid night's sleep. Teenagers can sleep solid for 12 hours, but those days are WAY behind me.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

It is harder to remain asleep as we age and they have found that better sleeper have longer lives. Maybe try a sleep aid. There are so many good ones around along with many natural ones. DO NOT TAKE Tryptophan. It can cause a blood disorder. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Buzz to help with the getting up numerous times a night, try taking ''Saw Palmetto'' a nature herb.

It takes around 6 weeks for it to fully enter the system, but is a great help with the night peeing problem.

I've never had any problem sleeping, although I don't need a lot of sleep, 6 hours is fine for me and my normal.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: We cannot do much about the role aging plays in our sleep habits.

For a few hours prior to retiring, we can cut off food, drink, any form of stimulation (physical activity, noise, electronics, light etc.).

Sticking to a schedule helps. The body and mind like regiments.

Chalomot tovot veh metukot.

Sleep deep, dream sweet.

Enoch (sawing wood). 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Dear Friend Dowser: Please check out NITES using the search engine of choice.

If you need contact information, private email me.

E.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

Thanks, Enoch!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    8 years ago

I once saw some video footage of people in advanced stages of this disease, and they basic looked schizophrenic.  It's a nightmarish way to go.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   8 years ago

Hal, if you have a link to that, I would like to take a look. I have to agree, it is like a living nightmare. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Honestly I can't remember where I saw it, probably on a tv show.  I did just do a YouTube search and saw that there's a ton of documentary stuff on it though.