╌>

The important questions: What is the proper etiquette for farting in public?

Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  8 years ago  •  14 comments

By Laura Hensley, National Post, December 1 2016

asslight.jpg

A classic Dumb & Dumber fart.    ( New Line )

I have a friend who used to fart silently in public, and then run away before the stench would fill the room. It was a disgusting habit. Although the objective of her toot tactic was to omit herself as the suspected culprit, her efforts were pointless; her malodorous ways were obvious.

Us gassy humans flatulate up to 20 times a day, but the majority of us are polite enough to pass wind in bathrooms, or in the privacy of our homes, or on empty sidewalks with no other nostrils around. But amongst us respectful citizens, there’s an unsavoury breed: the public farter.

These people, the smelliest of the bunch, are the ones who look around innocently when a foul scent wafts through the air. They’re the ones who pretend they didn’t hear thunderous noise coming from their pants. Or, in the case of really gutsy gas monsters, they’ll laugh at your horror as they assault your senses with their stink.

Passing gas is a normal, healthy part of life. Our bodies are designed to do it. Heck, they need to do it. But there’s a difference between excusing yourself to emit a vapour or two and carelessly farting around town – the latter is vile and something no civilized human should ever do. So what is the proper etiquette if you’re out and about and you sense gas is about to come out?

Bathrooms, of course, are optimal farting grounds. It’s common etiquette to pretend not to hear what’s happening in the stall next to you, so you can let loose in a no-judgment zone. If you’re trapped in a car, opening a window will at least offer others gasping for air a taste of the fresh outdoors. Airplanes – where gas build-up worsens – are trickier. Avoiding carbonated drinks and chewing food slowly can help reduce flatulence until landing. And if all else fails, apologizing to those you offend will at least hold you accountable, unlike those silent but deadly types.

If you’re constantly polluting the air, it might be time to re-evaluate your diet. Cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cabbage can cause bad gas, while foods high in probiotics like yogurt aid digestion. And since the odour of one’s farts commonly depends on what you eat and colonic bacteria, eating well benefits everyone. EVERYONE.

But let me be clear: I’m not suggesting it’s wise to avoid farting altogether.

Letting gas build up can be painful and awkward. But apart from bloating and stomach discomfort, there are few serious health consequences to temporarily holding gas in. So unless you have a medical condition, or are sick, or are an innocent infant who has yet to be potty-trained, there’s no excuse to publicly letting one rip.

And to those who continue to fart wherever they please, we know who you are, and you stink.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

Just a little advice for those who are continuing to stink up the Home Page.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

I guess there are a lot of members here who think their shit doesn't stink.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    8 years ago

Fart jokes are for people who have nothing else to say. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

"The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. The answer is blowing in the wind." (Nobel Prize winner for literature)