╌>

ADVICE FOR AMERICANS TRAVELLING ABROAD

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  8 years ago  •  22 comments

About half a century ago when I was travelling in Europe and North Africa, American backpackers were sewing Canadian flags onto their backpacks so people would not think they were American. The day has come again, as I see it, that they might want to do that again.

What Trump did in order to gain the ire of China concerning his phone call with Taiwan was tame compared to his follow-up lecturing to the Chinese Government about their monetary policy and about the South China Sea development.  Who knows what country he will insult next.

I don’t go out now unless I’m wearing my cardigan with the word “CANADA” in bold block letters across the chest and my Canada flag and name baseball cap. I’m not afraid of getting hurt anyway because the people are very peaceful here and do NOT carry guns, but I just don’t want to earn their disdain and ill feelings towards me.

So here is what I suggest if you are travelling abroad:

1.  If there is one in your city, go to the “Roots”  store, as it sells mainly clothing with Canadian identity, and buy outerwear that is emblazoned with the name CANADA and a red maple leaf. It provides the costumes for the Canadian Olympic teams.

Roots_logo.svg.png  

2.  Your pronunciation will probably be okay, because most Canadians and Americans sound the same, but you will have to learn to say “eh?” at the end of sentences or questions, instead of “huh?” You could practise this by watching the Fonz in the “Happy Days” TV series episodes saying “AYYY!”

fonz.jpg

3.  Try to learn a few French words to pepper your speech with now and then. For example, some good words to know would be “bon jour” (hello), s’il vous plait [pronounced seevooplay] (please) “merci” (thank you), “au revoir” (goodbye).

4.  Remember that if you want a soft drink, ask for a “bottle of pop”, not a “soda”.

5.  Don’t put ketchup on your French Fries, but ask if they have any vinegar instead.

6.  If you’re backpacking, then do as they did back in the 60s and sew a Canadian flag on it.

flag 111.jpeg  

7.  Try VERY hard to be polite and soft-spoken, not even a touch of arrogance.

8. If someone asks you what city you’re from, Toronto is pronounced “Terawnah”, and Montreal is pronounced “Moreeal” and that will indicate you really ARE from those cities.

That should earn you smiles instead of frowns.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

Happy travels, Americans.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

I guess all those who threatened that they would leave the US if Trump won were just kidding.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

I guess all those who threatened that they would leave the US if Trump won were just kidding.

I think many people may have forgotten it, but the same thing happened when GW Bush ran for president. Many liberals keep insisting that it would a horrendous disaster-- the end of democracy. Many people I knew said they would move to Canada if Bush won.

And guess what? Not a single one of them actually did.

What a bunch of Drama Queens!!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

Many people I knew said they would move to Canada if Bush won.

Actually I can think of two other times Americans said they were moving to Canada-- but in those cases many did. In both cases it involved not elections but rather war:

-During the war on Viet-nam there was a draft. A far number of American men over the age of 8 actually did move to Canada to avoid the draft.

-During WWII Canada entered the war much earlier than the U.S. We were neutral---in  fact, if not for Pearl Harbour we might have stayed out much, much longer. But many Americans were aware of the dangers that Naziism posed and wanted to fight it. Since the American military wasn't involved, these Americans left the U.S. & enlisted in the Canadian armed forces!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

Some of the American draft dodgers became my friends. In fact I opened a business with two of them as my partners. I incorporated and opened a Folklore Centre, modeled on Izzy Young's Folklore Centre in Greenwich Village. It was very successful and I let the two of them buy me out. One of my partners was a folk musician and the other was a guitar maker. I had got the idea of opening a Folklore Centre from seeing and in fact running Izzy's for a weekend.  I and a girl I was travelling with had gone to the Village to watch Ian and Sylvia play at The Bitter End. We spent a little time in Izzy's Folklore Centre and he wanted to go out of town for the weekend and gave us the keys to the store and asked us to take care of it. It was great fun, with performers coming in and jamming, but what really remains in my memory were all the cockroaches in the bathtub.

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

Drama Queens, like Rush Limpdick! Promised to leave the U.S. if Obama won in 2008. Was going to move to Costa Rico, where he could diddle little boys all the time. Didn't happen. Pretty sure he still diddles little boys, though!

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  deepwaterdon   8 years ago

More lies.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    8 years ago

I just got back from two weeks in Japan. The Japanese still love Americans, although quite a few asked me about Trump. I just told them that many Americans believed that Clinton was a habitual liar with no moral compass. They understood that.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Please make sure you tell people abroad that you don't represent all Americans, only the racist, bigots, misogynist and colossal stupid.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

You are the bigot, PJ. You've lied for months on this site before revealing yourself to be a shrill, hysterical liberal. You explicitly refer to other members as racists, etc, while you are the bigot. You are the problem. Nobody likes you anymore. Go home, put on your big girl panties, and grow the fuck up, Comment removed for CoC violation [ph]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

a shrill, hysterical liberal.

Yes, but its the shrill, hysterical liberals that are the most interesting ones-- the shy retiring liberals are soooo boring!

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Nobody likes you anymore.

I disagree.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sixpick   8 years ago

Me too. That's really not being very nice to a fellow NT member, Cerenkov.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Racebaiters and slanderers have not earned respect.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    8 years ago

So beware Europeans bigotry? 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    8 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: I am less than half a day dive to either Toronto or Montreal.

Any tips for a USA citizen like me if I go abroad to Canada?

BTW, my daughter-in-law was raised in Montreal. My son and her were married at their Sephardic Congregation. Her family still resides there.

Enoch, doing a Shreddies Wave Cheer in a BlueJays baseball cap.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

I listed 8 tips, Enoch, but if I think of any more I'll let you know.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Enoch   8 years ago

Enoch,

For travel in Canada, a few tips may prevent confusion.

If you order a Caesar, be aware that Canada serves both salad and drink styles of their take on the Roman emperor's namesake.

The word "eh" has many meanings depending on facial expressions and social cues.

Wayne Gretzky is considered by many as being a deity.

Enjoy your travels!

:~)

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Enoch,

Never, ever say that American hockey is the best, or that you don't know what Lacrosse is.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

American hockey COULD be the best, provided the players are Canadians. Think of Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Sidney Crosby, Mario Lemieux, etc etc

I'll bet a lot of Americans think Lacross is a brand name of a Buick model.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Dear Friend Kavika: Got it.

Thanks.

E.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Dear Friend Larry: Thanks.

E.