╌>

Snow Bird, Snow … Don't Disappoint

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  11 comments

Snow Bird, Snow … Don't Disappoint

What's snow without a Snow Bird (Junco) … and visa versa?

faa_juncosnow149varsm.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

1whitethroatedsparrowinsnowagurmankin.jpg

White-throated Sparrow

© A/ Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    8 years ago

If the photographer is up to it, Winter and Snow are opportunities.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

Winter here is mostly ugly..  Unless it snows.  We have had a light dusting, but it was gone before I could get out to see it.  Still, I'm hopeful we have a good snow this winter.  Of late, all we've getting is black ice, and ice storms, which cause more damage than anything.  Many of our trees were destroyed, or permanently bent over, in the past few years.  It seems that climate warming has moved the snow line ever further north of us.  Usually, now, when Indianapolis gets snow, we get ice.  Needless to say, they recover more quickly than we do!

Part of that is also because we don't have the population to support fleets of salt trucks.  And I may be glad we don't...  50% of all salt spread on the road migrates to the lower aquifers.

Beautiful junco!  Thanks!  The birds in winter keep my spirits alive!

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Winter here is mostly ugly..  Unless it snows.

The snow is beautiful here, until you have to drive in it or clear it away from the driveway.

201612115.JPG

201612111.JPG

No birds available.  They all went into whatever would keep them warm.  I took these early this afternoon.  By 4:00 PM the Jeep had been cleaned off and removed from the driveway and I had taken the snowblower out.  Driveway is now clear and Jeep is now back in place and accumulating more snow.  School cancelled for tomorrow, so I'll drive over to their house and bring the kids back here for the day.  The garage is on the South side of the bottom picture.  When I blew off the snow, it went very easily until I tried to blow the sidewalk to the south.  Very light, fine snow and a very mild wind from the south.  Before I could switch it around and blow to the North, I ended up looking like Frosty the Snowman.  I scared the heck out of the cat when I came in; she didn't know who it was.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  TTGA   8 years ago

Thanks for posting, Rock; it adds nicely to the discussion when winter/snow scenes from different members/places come in.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

I always kind of liked those shots when we have new snow.  However, I took them from inside the house where it was nice and warm.  Unfortunately, the one of the tree was taken through a window with a screen.  That's why I didn't post a closer shot.  If I zoomed in, the screen becomes apparent.

By the way, the Jeep is now covered with snow again.  Nice part is that I don't have to clean it off.  Since it's my daughter's Jeep, clearing it is her problem.  My Jeep is snug and snow free inside the garage.thumbs up

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    8 years ago

Another bird in the snow added.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

What a cutie!!!  Sparrows work so hard and try so hard.  It's right that God looks after them...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

Snowbird (lyrics by Gene MacLellan)

Beneath this snowy mantle cold and clean
The unborn grass lies waiting
For its coat to turn to green
The snowbird sings the song he always sings
And speaks to me of flowers
That will bloom again in spring

When I was young my heart was young then too
Anything that it would tell me
That's the thing that I would do
But now I feel such emptiness within
For the thing that I want most in life's
The thing thing that I can't win

Spread your tiny wings and fly away
And take the snow back with you
Where it came from on that day
The one I love forever is untrue
And if I could you know that I would
Fly away with you

The breeze along the river seems to say
That he'll only break me heart again
Should I decide to stay
So little snowbird take me with you
When you go
To that land of gentle breezes
Where the peaceful waters flow

ann murray.jpg el

I believe it was Canadian singer Anne Murray's biggest hit.

However, I believe the word "Snowbird" began to be descriptive of Canadians and residents of northern American States who escaped to the warm south when winter chased them there for the season.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Very welcomed addition, Buzz. The song and poster give the discussion both depth and dimension.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

I believe the word "Snowbird" began to be descriptive of Canadians and residents of northern American States who escaped to the warm south when winter chased them there for the season.

In fact, that's how the term was used. 

The terms "Junco" and "Snowbird" are common or local names and often a species of plant or animal has a different local name from location to location. That is precisely the reason biologists on a world-wide basis, when referring to a particular organism, use a consistent, Latin name.

snowbird |ˈsnōˌbərd|

noun

1 N. Amer. informal a northerner who moves to a warmer southern state in the winter.

2 a widespread and variable junco with gray or brown upper parts and a white belly.

[Junco hyemalis, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae). Alternative names: northern junco, dark-eyed junco, slate-colored junco.]

• the snow bunting.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

In fact, that's how the term was used.

Still is.  Of those I know personally, both my uncle and aunt and the grandparents of my son's ex wife are snow birds.  Mostly retired people and their favorite destinations are Florida (Tampa-St. Petersburg) and Arizona (Phoenix area).