╌>

Cold, Pleasantly Chaotic, and, IMO, Strikingly Beautiful

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  21 comments

Cold, Pleasantly Chaotic, and, IMO, Strikingly Beautiful

I can't take winters the way I could when I used to do things like ice fishing … that was years ago … but I find that when I am literally focused and captivated while looking through the viewfinder of a camera, for that moment at least, I don't seem to feel the cold.

thicketbyacountryroadinwinteragurmankin.jpg

Mountain Roadside Thicket in Winter, Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

thicketatforestedgeinsnowagurmankin.jpg

This is Definitely Black Bear Territory… but I Got in, Got the Shot and Got Out.

© A. Mac/A.G.

Best Look at this Link

uigagu_robinsnow154sm.jpg

American Robin, Male

© A. Mac/A.G.

snowscenepennsylvaniawoodlandstreamagurmankin.jpg

Pennypack Creek, Philadelphia, Fairmount Park

© A. Mac/A.G.

whitetaileddeerinwinteragurmankin.jpg

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    8 years ago

Even so, I'm headed south in a day or so.

“Be happy, but never satisfied” 
―  Abdul Ghafoor Memon

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

I thought the Robins went south as well. In Canada, seeng the first Robin meant Spring had come.

On January 3rd we move to Chongqing, in South-West China. I will not see snow again unless I travel North, such as to Harbin where the fantastic Ice and Snow carvings are displayed.  The negative is that Chongqing is known to be one of the 3 "furnaces" of China, and it can go to 40 degrees Centigrade in the Summer.  Thank God for air conditioning.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

I thought the Robins went south as well. In Canada, seeng the first Robin meant Spring had come.

They generally do; but I have found that males, for some reason, will sometimes winter over and/or return earlier in spring than the females.

In my situation, there are four Holly trees around my property, the berries of which keep many species around.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    8 years ago

Another beauty, AMac!   

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Bear with me on the second shot, or, on the morning I took the shot, Bear without me … fortunately.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Both of them are lovely!  Thank you!

It's awfully cold here, too!  We're having an ugly Christmas sock exchange tonight for all the Band Moms, and I've got to buy a pair-- fun time, but hoping someone brings something other than toe socks!  I have ptero syndactylism, so I have twin toes and can't wear toe socks!  Let's hope!  I LOVE ugly Christmas socks!  thumbs up

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Two beautiful shots Mac.

Well done, but I'll take sunshine and 80 degrees.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I'll take sunshine and 80 degrees.

So will my grandkids and i in a day and a half from now.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

LOL, I have to wait until the 28th of this month before I head to warmer weather.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Third picture posted.

I wonder if the Robin has second thoughts about hanging around up north. Regardless, he gave me a good photo op.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

Very nice photos AMac.  That robin makes my feet cold though.  I don't blame you for getting out of there if you suspect black bears may be around.  At first I read it wrong and was looking for the bear.  Have a great time with your grandchildren in warmer weather!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

All of them lovely. Almost makes you not mind the cold. 

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott    8 years ago

Great shots A Mac. I actually prefer the cold to the heat, even at my age. Summer is great for camping, but winter just seems more magical. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Posted a third pic; I love to get into the woods as soon after s snowfall ends … before the snow is all disturbed by pesky, annoying humans.

Of all the subjects I shoot, new snow, a forest and a woodland stream … all in one frame … is by far my favorite.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  A. Macarthur   8 years ago

I love the 3rd one, too!!!

It's gorgeous!!!  I love the yellow of the bark of the trees against the blue sky and snow-- so peaceful!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Good night all.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

One more picture (fifth one) …

Heading down the road tomorrow.

If I get any good photos, and, if I take my laptop, I'll post them in the Photography forum.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

They're so beautiful!  Sweet deer!!!

Even if you take some 'bad' pictures, I would like to see them...

OK, I got 'the 'word'.  Matthew's band will be marching in the 11 am parade on Main Street on New Year's Eve...  He will be looking for y'all, and marching, and playing...  I know you're going to be busy, and the crowds will be fierce, and it will be a miracle if you actually saw each other, but Golly!  thumbs up

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Even if you take some 'bad' pictures, I would like to see them...

I do as badly as I can.

OK, I got 'the 'word'.  Matthew's band will be marching in the 11 am parade on Main Street on New Year's Eve...  He will be looking for y'all, and marching, and playing...  I know you're going to be busy, and the crowds will be fierce, and it will be a miracle if you actually saw each other, but Golly!

Will likely be out of there on New Year's Eve, but, if we extend the stay, I'll wave with both hands at the band and have the whole family do the same.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I'll let him know!  He is so excited at the prospect of maybe getting to see you!  I know it would be a miracle, but such things do happen!  thumbs up

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    8 years ago

All of them are wonderful.  My favorite of the five is the 4th one.  Have a wonderful vacation, and safe travels.