╌>

The Palestinian town in the West Bank....that they don't want you to know about!

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  8 years ago  •  20 comments

The Palestinian town in the West Bank....that they don't want you to know about!

Note: This video is from 2013. Buyers started moving in in August 2015. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    8 years ago

Thousands of people have registered to buy apartments. (In 2013, most apartments cost between $75,000 to $140,000.)

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

Thousands of people have registered to buy apartments. (In 2013, most apartments cost between $75,000 to $140,000.)

The price has probably gone up since then.

But-- wait a minute. Isn't the area supposedly "The World's Largest Outdoor Concentration Camp"? Shouldn't these  people be living without any money at all, having barely enough to eat..being near the verge of death? Palestinians being able to have those apartments, and pay thousands of dollars for them?

Looks like the Israelis are running a rather peculiar type of concentration camp in this particular "Bantustan", eh?

(Or-- have we been lied to all along???)

Krishna
Professor Expert

Bashar Al-Masri, managing director of Rawabi, said that though no Israeli companies have been involved in constructing the city, hundreds of Israeli suppliers provide it with raw materials such as cement, sand, electric components and plumbing. He estimated that Israeli businesses benefit from the Rawabi project to the tune of tens of millions of dollars a month. The only political principle Rawabi holds with relation to Israel is no cooperation with businesses in the settlements.

“We buy from whoever gives us the lowest price,” Al-Masri said. “It makes no difference to us if the company is Israeli, Italian or German.”

“We have no choice but to cooperate with Israel and Israelis, but we also want to do so,” he added. “It is a mistake to separate our economy from Israel’s. Projects like this bring our peoples closer together: Israelis come to the site, they are exposed to Palestinians, and they realize there’s no risk in coming here. There is a sense of comfort.”

These positions have placed Masri — a native of Nablus who spent much of his adult life living in the US, the UK and Saudi Arabia — under fire in his own society.

In 2012, the Palestinian National BDS (boycott, divestment and sanctions) Committee  condemned him for normalization with Israel , accusing him of “advancing personal interests and profit making at the expense of Palestinian rights.”

But despite the BDS efforts, the ambitious project is already a huge blessing for the Palestinian economy. Providing 8,000-10,000 jobs in construction, Rawabi is by far the largest private employer in the West Bank. Once complete, the city is expected to employ 3,000-5,000 people in its commercial and cultural center, said Amir Dajani, the project’s deputy managing director.

(LINK)

Krishna
Professor Expert

Palestinian flags flying by the Rawabi visitor center in the West Bank .

Rawabi_Flags.jpg

Photo credit: By I Love Falastin - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0,

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

Although I can't open the YouTube video I have already seen renditions of this project, which was at a standstill for a while because some essential was missing - it might have been water.  The Palestinians who will occupy (should I have used that word? LOL) the homes are ones who are bound to "normalize" with Israelis, and will be living in a lifestyle similar to theirs. If the Palestinian leadership were to tell the Jihadis to stuff it and co-operate with Israel there wouldn't be a problem there, but......

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Since you can't open the video I'll post some more still photos here when I get a chance.

And it is true-- extremists on both sides don't like this. Te apts are relly nice-- much,much nice than what a lot of Americans live in in the inner cities. And its an entire well-planned community with many amenities. As more of these are built, it really flies in the face of the eextemist Palestinisn propaganda line.

(Even being able to fly those palestinin flags-- maybe the Isreli gov't is more tolerant than we've been led to believe?)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    8 years ago

"In 2012, the Palestinian National BDS (boycott, divestment and sanctions) Committee  condemned him for normalization with Israel , accusing him of “advancing personal interests and profit making at the expense of Palestinian rights.”

You have to love this-wasn't the anti-Israeli demi-god, Yasser Arafat someone who ended up getting obscenely wealthy off the suffering of Palestinians?  No one is as blind as those who will not see.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Spikegary   8 years ago

Very much so. I forget the dollar amount of his net worth-- but it was staggering. 

Actually...YUGE!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

But despite the BDS efforts, the ambitious project is already a huge blessing for the Palestinian economy. Providing 8,000-10,000 jobs in construction, Rawabi is by far the largest private employer in the West Bank. Once complete, the city is expected to employ 3,000-5,000 people in its commercial and cultural center, said Amir Dajani, the project’s deputy managing director.

Seems as though in addition to making himself rich (damn capitalist) he will be providing homes and jobs. (double damn capitalist)....

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Seems as though in addition to making himself rich (damn capitalist) he will be providing homes and jobs. (double damn capitalist)...

And that why the more radical Palestinians,hate this project. They must keep all Palestinians suffering-- to make israel look bad. The last thing they want is to have conditions improve...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    8 years ago

Cool prison.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

And the people expected to live there will be the ones to be able to travel to, do business in and work in Israel and or Jordan.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

On a clear day, Tel Aviv and the Meditteranean coastline is visible-- its that close!

If there's ever peace, this is a "win-win" for both Israel and the Arabs. (Which is why BDS is so strongly opposed to it).

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Krishna   8 years ago

The tourism potential alone would be a windfall.

:-\

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Looks like just more Apartheid-- an evil "Zionist Apartheid Concentration Camp in Violation of International Law"!

Just more suffering for the  the Palestinians living in this "Bantustan".

(They really should move out of this horrendous, Zionist ruled place. Go to some Arab ruled state where they can live in peace and freedom. Syria maybe? or Iraq? or Jordan? Libya? Maybe Egypt?)

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago
Cool prison

Yup-- definitely "The Worlds' Largest Outdoor Concentration Camp".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

That is an amazing project. It's funny the things that the news doesn't report. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

I agree that it is an amazing project and you are right about the news.  I'd never heard of it before it was seeded here.  I'm all for it.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

"It's funny the things that the news doesn't report."

No it isn't. This would be news contrary to the Palestinian narrative.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Exactly. I hope there are more projects like this one.  This is a key to peace in the region.