╌>

Hate Crime??? : Shocking attack, torture of mentally disabled man posted on social media

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  19 comments

Hate Crime??? : Shocking attack, torture of mentally disabled man posted on social media

Police say a man from Crystal Lake was abducted, taken to a Chicago apartment, and tortured. The ordeal was recorded, and the video has been widely viewed and shared on social media. | Screenshot

Police say a man from Crystal Lake was abducted, taken to a Chicago apartment, and tortured. The ordeal was recorded, and the video has been widely viewed and shared on social media. | Screenshot 

Chicago Police detectives are questioning four African-Americans suspected of torturing a white mentally disabled man and recording the attack, while someone yelled “F— Trump!” and “F— white people!”

Police officials did not specify which formal charges they were seeking, though they did not rule out classifying the attack as a hate crime.

The case’s executive officer, Steven Sesso of the Harrison District, said officers on patrol Tuesday near Homan and Lexington encountered the man.

“They saw clearly that this individual was in distress and he was in crisis. And they cared enough to do something about it.”

(LINK)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

One reason officers initially stopped to talk to the man was that he was wearing shorts despite the day’s frigid temperature, Guglielmi said.

Several videos of the incident were posted on Facebook. In one of them, on a woman’s Facebook page, a man threatens the victim with a knife. Someone tells the victim, “kiss the floor, b—-!” and “nobody can help you anymore.” At one point, someone tells the man, “say ‘I love black people.’ ”

The politically motivated language may have been “stupid ranting and raving,” but police are looking into if the four were sincere and, if so, that could factor into potential hate crime charges, Duffin said.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Sincerity ? THAT is a criteria for determining the extent of a crime?  Oh, well, if they did it but really really really didn't mean it, that is different.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

In November, the day after the election,  an online video showed a man being attacked  in the North Lawndale neighborhood on the West Side, while bystanders taunted him, saying he had voted for Donald Trump.

Eventually,  four people were charged  in connection with that attack.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

I personally don't like the idea of hate crimes as it is very evident when some people commit such crimes as this it makes the news as a hate crime and when others do the same thing it is always questionable whether it was a hate crime, usually fading from public view and never becoming a hate crime.  It should just be a crime and treated as such.

You probably won't see many if any hate crimes on Southern Poverty Law Centers site. 

You should be able to see where this is likely to produce more hate crimes.

I don't think it has been beneficial to our society.

Hundreds if not thousands of threats and crimes against minorities have been reported to SPLC and most without any evidence, but still reported making it misleading and promoting division among the people.

This particular crime will be hot for a day or two on the right wing sites, completely ignored by the left wing sites and MSM.  It shouldn't be this way.  All crimes of this nature should be treated the same.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    7 years ago

The AP report on this didn't mention the race of the people involved or the racial and political invective hurled by the attackers. Remember that the next time someone says the media doesn't have an agenda.

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

4 Charged With Hate Crimes Over Beating Live-Streamed On Facebook - Four people have been charged with hate crimes for allegedly carrying out an assault, live-streamed online, in which a man was tied up, hit and cut with a knife by several assailants.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

Thanks for that link-- lots of details in that article from npr. I found this part to be interesting:

"Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says the suspects made 'terrible racist statements' during the attack, but that investigators believe the victim was targeted because he has special needs, not because of his race.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

I saw this reported last night on CNN, including the facebook feed.  I'm not sure how anyone could come to any other conclusion but a hate crime.  It's absolutely disturbing.   

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I'm not sure how anyone could come to any other conclusion but a hate crime. 

Simple. 

One word: "Political correctness".

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Yes, PC has caused so much damage to this country and has played a huge part in the current division that exists between Americans.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

There is no excuse, nor justification for this.

WRONG IS WRONG IS WRONG!

All hate crimes are wrong.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

No. All crimes are wrong. Hate is a right.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

No. All crimes are wrong. 

Obviously.

Hate is a right.

Wow ! So is anger and fear. Is that how you want to live ?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Odd. I don't see where I espoused that view. Are you making things up again?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Saw this on FB, one of the best responses to this hate-filled act:

James T. Harris Speaks on this Hate Crime