╌>

Fake News

Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  aeonpax  •  7 years ago  •  0 comments

Fake News

The term "fake news" is a generic, catch-all phrase for the uninitiated news reader. It was coined by the biggest abusers of news, the MSM and subsequently by the other two largest perpetrators of bastardized news; the government and the corporations (who own 90% of all the major news outlets). It's been called yellow journalism" as well as fear mongering, tabloid journalism, doublespeak and clickbait. What they all have in common is to distort, misinform, confuse, misdirect or just plain old lie, about a news incident. Headlines are particularly vulnerable to this, for example;

Associated Press reports - "Christ Walks on Water"

same story, repeated by the

New York Times - "Jesus Can't Swim

Whether unintentional or not, all news services have a bias, many more so than others. At its fundamental basics, a story needs to address these basic areas of inquiry; Who, What, When, Where and Why with as little embellishment as possible. These journalistic axioms are no longer followed. Unfortunately, the corporations view news as a revenue source and in competition with other news outlets, reduce news down to a level of an idiot, meaning, they're betting that the reader will accept their perspective without question (or in other word; dumbing down) Others, cater to niche markets such as political ones. The problem here isn't that they are bias, to one degree or another, but they claim or otherwise obfuscate themselves to appear as, "unbiased".

Those who limit themselves to a single source of news are more than likely to have a completely unbalanced and erroneous understanding of the news. Those people who will not read another source, claiming some unqualified or objectively skewed rationale for reading another source, are even worse. (I tend to ignore such people) I try to read at the minimum of three totally different sources, and even then, I'm cautious.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc