╌>

Pope tells women to feel free to breastfeed in church

Category:  World News

Via:  aeonpax  •  7 years ago  •  8 comments

Pope tells women to feel free to breastfeed in church

Pope Francis encouraged women attending a ceremony in the Sistine Chapel on Sunday to feel free to breastfeed their children in the church.“The ceremony is a little long, someone’s crying because he’s hungry. That’s the way it is,” the pontiff said. “You mothers, go ahead and breastfeed, without fear. Just like the Virgin Mary nursed Jesus,” he told worshippers attending an annual ceremony commemorating the baptism of Jesus . - Source;  The Guardian

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Aeonpax    7 years ago

I like Pope Frank, or Francis if you prefer, despite all better judgement.  I'm not a Catholic (I'm Tantric} but I'm pretty well acquainted on what he does, more or less. As for this announcement, it had to be specifically aimed for one country: The US.  This country has way too many sexual hang-ups.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

While I agree that this country has way too many sexual hang-ups, I think a lot of women might feel a tad uncomfortable breastfeeding in church.  I have always found it interesting that such a normal human act should come with such controversy. 

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Aeonpax  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I've seen it in places of worship but it's not as if nursing mothers all sit in the front row.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

Cool I also support bra burnings for all those under the age of thirty. 

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Aeonpax    7 years ago

Breast feeding is not something you deliberately want to do, especially in public.  I've done it but have always worn maternity gowns and exercise discretion. I have found Europeans consider it normal. But not here in the US.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

They have all kinds of breastfeeding shawl-like things that cover the mother and the baby, these days.  It is really quite tasteful, so I don't see the problem with breastfeeding anywhere.  Glad the Pope made this comment!