╌>

Franken Trashes Sessions, Then Ted Cruz Shows Up and Destroys Him

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  7 years ago  •  43 comments

Franken Trashes Sessions, Then Ted Cruz Shows Up and Destroys Him
During Sen. Jeff Sessions’ confirmation hearing Tuesday for attorney general, fellow Sen. Al Franken pummeled him with a litany of accusations, essentially accusing him of having never actually prosecuted dozens of desegregation cases.

“Now, you originally said that you personally handled three of these cases, but these lawyers say that you had no substantive involvement,” Franken said, reportedly referencing a column in The Wall Street Journal by an attorney.

This line of questioning was not appreciated by Sen. Ted Cruz, who later slammed Franken for having even insinuated that Sessions had lied.

Advertisement - story continues below
“It is unfortunate to see members of this body impugn the integrity of a fellow senator with whom we have served for years,” he said. “It is particularly unfortunate when that attempt is not backed up by fact.”

He went on to attack the veracity of Franken’s claim, noting that the aforementioned column had been penned by an attorney who later admitted to misstatements of fact during a testimony before a Senate committee.

Specifically, the column had been written by former Department of Justice attorney Gerry Hebert, who according to fellow former DOJ attorney J. Christian Adams was indeed a liar.

“The reporters using Hebert as a source do not mention Hebert’s history of making up stories about purported racism, yet documentation of that history is easily located in the public record,” Adams wrote in a piece for PJ Media last year in defense of Sessions.

“The fact that this is controversial tells you all you need to know about the sorry intellectual state of our country’s elites, especially in the legal academy and federal bureaucracies,” Cruz continued Tuesday. “Sen. Sessions believes in the foundational idea that we are governed by objectively knowable, written rules, and that we should not be subject to the interpretive whims of unelected, power-hungry bureaucrats. Sessions will instill this belief at the Department of Justice.”

Listen to his retort below:

Franken later responded by claiming that he just had been trying to do his job by being tough on Sessions. That would be believable were it not already known that Franken is and has always been a hack. http://conservativetribune.com/franken-trashes-sessions/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago
Franken knew the source he used to attack Sessions was debunked and used it anyway. Typical progressive behavior. Cruz called him out on it.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

So debunked that it made it into the Wall Street Journal. geek  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

"the aforementioned column had been penned by an attorney who later admitted to misstatements of fact during a testimony before a Senate committee.

Specifically, the column had been written by former Department of Justice attorney Gerry Hebert, who according to fellow former DOJ attorney J. Christian Adams was indeed a liar.

“The reporters using Hebert as a source do not mention Hebert’s history of making up stories about purported racism, yet documentation of that history is easily located in the public record,” Adams wrote in a piece for PJ Media last year in defense of Sessions."

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Yes. And you have no response.

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I have been reading the WSJ for many, many years, and I have spent time in Washington in Congressional hearings, and have testified as well. The WSJ isn't sacred as far as truth is concerned, and it has its agenda, too.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

Not much has changed.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Franken is a crank.  He should go back to Comedy-SNL needs some mediocre comedians.......

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Franken's resume could be summed up as a professional fool. Yet democrats thought he was perfectly qualified to be a US Senator who votes on nominees to the highest positions in the country.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

Isn't he from the same state as (Governor!) Jesse Ventura?  That should answer all kinds of questions......

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Al Frankenstein wrote two of the funniest, smartest, and politically accurate books I've ever read.  Any dult here that thinks they know Franken well enough to judge him should read Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, and The Truth.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Democrats lay the foundation for merging show business and politics by electing an actual comedian like Franken and then bemoan republicans merging politics and show business with a buffoon like Trump. Go figure. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

Lol.  Reagan?  Hello?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

My point is that democrats elected a professional comedian.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Comedian and show business are hardly synonymous.  My point is that just because someone has a sense of humor, it doesn't make them politically incapable.  Being funny often is an asset to any career.  You make it sound like a given detriment.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

My point is that just because someone has a sense of humor, it doesn't make them politically incapable.  Being funny often is an asset to any career.  You make it sound like a given detriment.

And my point is that his resume should consist of more than a sense of humor. If Trump is thin on qualifications (and he is), then Franken's qualifications are literally a joke. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Based on the books I mentioned, I'd say he's got exactly the right experience to have been voted into office.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

If the bar is so low that all you need is a sense of humor, then Trump met that so his qualifications shouldn't have been an issue. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Franken's books are of a very serious nature, but punctuated with world class humor, so you're quite wrong on that account.  As far as Trump's sense of humor goes - are we even talking about the same Trump?  The only intentionally funny thing Trump ever said was his joke about Melania at the Al Smith charity dinner.  It was written for him, and he read it right off a cue card without even glancing up, and threw his wife under the bus in the process.  Wow, funny guy.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

Franken's books are of a very serious nature, but punctuated with world class humor, so you're quite wrong on that account.  As far as Trump's sense of humor goes - are we even talking about the same Trump.

He has a sense of humor, even if you (subjectively) don't like it, so he's as (objectively) qualified as Franken (based on your view that a sense of humor is all one needs). 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

"based on your view that a sense of humor is all one needs"

It must be hard going through life only being able to interpret writing the way you want to interpret it, instead of the way it is clearly intended.  If you could get over that hurdle, one day dialogue with you might actually be meaningful.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

It must be hard going through life only being able to interpret writing the way you want to interpret it, instead of the way it is clearly intended.  If you could get over that hurdle, one day dialogue with you might actually be meaningful.

Read that back over and over . . . while standing in front of a mirror.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

I don't think there has even been a time where I have misunderstood your hate messages.  As always, you may have the last word.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

I don't think there has even been a time where I have misunderstood your hate messages.  

And I don't think there has ever been a time that you have been able to understand a disagreement as anything other than hatred. That's your problem, not mine. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago
Isn't that spelled 'Dolt'?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

It is - thank you for correcting me.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago
I take my humor where I can get it.

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax    7 years ago

Franken used to be a part of "Air America", a liberal/progressive radio network. It folded and he ran for congress and won. I supported him until he voted against 'Net Neutrality' to appease his corporate sponsors. Of course, I no longer support him (Sanders & Warren also) and the democratic party.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

You are painting yourself into a corner that's reserved for people who don't even want to be part of the political process ever.  

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent

It looks to me like she got out of the corner. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

Air America.  A great manufactured talk radio failure.  

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent

"You are painting yourself into a corner that's reserved for people who don't even want to be part of the political process ever."

Naw. I run to the beat of my own drum. I'm just not part of the for-profit, party before country, unimind of the republicrat ideology; I'm against it. I voted for Jill Stein and support the Green party. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

It sounds like all she has to do is make one wrong move and you will be out of politicians to support.  I'm surprised that the Jill Stein effort to put Hillary in the White House wasn't it.

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent

Appearances can be deceiving.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Just a curious question-- How can you lie before a congressional hearing, get caught in the lie, and not face perjury charges?   =To me, that would be way more serious than lying in court...

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Doesn't appear to be a limit. Clapper lied about the NSA spying and nothing ever happened. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

That doesn't seem right, to me...