╌>

UPDATE : Now, Over 50 U.S. Congresspeople Are Boycotting Trump Inauguration

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  84 comments

UPDATE : Now, Over 50 U.S. Congresspeople Are Boycotting Trump Inauguration

These Democrats aren't attending Trump's inauguration

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/14/politics/democrats-boycotting-donald-trump-inauguration/index.html

Story highlights

• Here's a list of Democrats who have publicly said they won't be at the ceremony Friday
  • Some representatives will be protesting in DC and in their districts instead

Washington (CNN) A growing number of Democratic lawmakers are boycotting President-elect Donald Trump's inauguration, particularly after revelations of Russia's alleged meddling in the 2016 election and his rebuke of civil rights icon John Lewis on Saturday.

Some members of Congress have said they will be protesting in DC and in their districts instead. Here's a list of Democrats who have publicly said they won't be at the ceremony Friday.

Georgia Rep. John Lewis

The civil rights icon declared Friday that he would boycott the event because he doesn't see Trump as a "legitimate" president in light of Russian interference.

"You cannot be at home with something that you feel that is wrong,"  Lewis told NBC News .

Trump  harshly responded  Saturday, calling Lewis "all talk" and "no action" and saying he should focus more on "fixing and helping" his district rather than "complaining" about the Russia's role.

California Rep. Mark Takano

"'All talk, no action.' I stand with @repjohnlewis and I will not be attending the inauguration," Takano tweeted Saturday.

New York Rep. Yvette Clarke

"I will NOT attend the inauguration of @realDonaldTrump. When you insult @repjohnlewis, you insult America."

California Rep. Ted Lieu

"For me, the personal decision not to attend Inauguration is quite simple: Do I stand with Donald Trump, or do I stand with John Lewis? I am standing with John Lewis," Lieu  said in a statement  released by his office.

Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva

"I will not be attending the inauguration of Donald Trump as our next president," the Congressional Progressive Caucus co-chair said Friday on the House floor. "My absence is not motivated by disrespect for the office or motivated by disrespect for the government that we have in this great democracy, but as an individual act, yes, of defiance at the disrespect shown to millions and millions of Americans by this incoming administration, and the actions we are taking in this Congress."

Michigan Rep. John Conyers

The office of Conyers, the dean of the United House of Representatives, confirmed to CNN he won't be attending the inauguration.

California Rep. Mark DeSaulnier

"It is with a heavy heart and deep personal conviction that I have decided not to attend the #TrumpInauguration on January 20, 2017," the California lawmaker tweeted Friday.

New York Rep. Nydia Velazquez

Velazquez tweeted Friday that she will be participating in a women's march protesting policies that activists say are harmful to American women.

"I will not be attending inauguration of @realDonaldTrump but WILL participate in the @womensmarch on January 21st," she tweeted.

Oregon Rep. Kurt Schrader

"I'm just not a big Trump fan. I've met the guy and never been impressed with him," he told Oregon Public Broadcasting Friday . "I'll do my best to work with him when I think he's doing the right thing for the country. But he hasn't proved himself to me at all yet, so I respectfully decline to freeze my ass out there in the cold for this particular ceremony."

Missouri Rep. William Lacy Clay

The lawmaker's spokesperson  told  the St. Louis Post Dispatch that Clay will be in his home state speaking to schoolchildren.

California Rep. Barbara Lee

Lee said she'll spend the day "preparing for resistance."

"Donald Trump has proven that his administration will normalize the most extreme fringes of the Republican Party. On Inauguration Day, I will not be celebrating. I will be organizing and preparing for resistance," she said Thursday in a statement.

New York Rep. Jose Serrano

"I will not attend the #inauguration2017 next week- cannot celebrate the inauguration of a man who has no regard for my constituents. #Bronx," he tweeted Thursday.

Illinois Rep. Luis Gutierrez

"I cannot go to (the) inauguration of a man who's going to appoint people to the Supreme Court and turn back the clock on women and turn back the clock on immigrants and the safety and freedom that we fought for them," Gutierrez said last month on CNN's "New Day."

California Rep. Jared Huffman

"I have decided that instead of attending the inaugural ceremonies in Washington this month, I'll spend time in California with my constituents making a positive difference in our community," he wrote on Facebook Tuesday. "From helping to build homes for local families to pitching in on cleaning up flood debris to welcoming new US citizens at a naturalization ceremony --- it will be an action-packed couple of days. Stay tuned here for more details."

Massachusetts Rep. Katherine Clark

"I support the peaceful transition of power, but I don't feel that I need to attend the pageantry associated with and for this president," she  told  the Boston Globe earlier this month.

Oregon Rep. Earl Blumenauer

"There is unprecedented concern by my constituents about the many threats posed by a Trump administration seeking to implement the President-elect's policies on health, environment, nuclear weapons and immigration, to name but a few," he said on Facebook.

CNN's Caroline Kenny contributed to this report.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

This will be an era of resistance to Donald Trump, like it or not. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

How unamerican...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Donald Trump is an embarrassment to this great nation and right now there is little light at the end of the tunnel. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

And Democrats undermine our tradition of a peaceful transition of power. Hypocrisy. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

I expect all protests to be peaceful.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I think a few more have been added to the number since yesterday. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Michigan Rep. John Conyers

I don't think that the Democrats understand John.  Conyers, the "representative" of my State,  has shown his true colors (RED) and, if he chooses not to submit, will be removed and replaced, one way or another, in the next election.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Petulant little children.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I saw the noted presidential historian Michael Beschloss in a tv interview today. 

Here is a taste of his background and works

1234775723-Michael_Beschloss.jpg

Beschloss has been a frequent commentator on the  PBS NewsHour  and is the  NBC News  Presidential Historian. He is a trustee of the  White House Historical Association  and the  National Archives Foundation  and he also sits on the board of the  Smithsonian 's  National Museum of American History . He has been a trustee of the  Thomas Jefferson Foundation  ( Monticello ), the  Urban Institute , the  University of Virginia 's  Miller Center of Public Affairs and the  PEN/Faulkner Foundation . He also sits on the advisory board to the  Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission  and was a member of the  President's Commission on White House Fellowships . He has served as a historian at the  Smithsonian Institution , a Senior Associate Member at  St. Antony's College  ( University of Oxford ), a Visiting Scholar at the Harvard University Russian Research Center, a Senior Fellow of the  Annenberg Foundation  and a Montgomery Fellow and Dorsett Fellow at  Dartmouth College .

• Kennedy and Roosevelt: The Uneasy Alliance  (1980); started as Beschloss's senior honors thesis at  Williams College
  • Mayday: Eisenhower, Khrushchev and the U-2 Affair  (1986)
  • Eisenhower: A Centennial Life  (1990)
  • The Crisis Years: Kennedy and Khrushchev, 1960-1963  (1991)
  • At the Highest Levels: The Inside Story of the End of the Cold War  (1993); with  Strobe Talbott .
  • Taking Charge  (1997) and  Reaching for Glory  (2001), edited transcriptions of  Lyndon B. Johnson 's conversations, as captured by his taping system, with historical annotation and commentary. A third Johnson volume is forthcoming.
  • The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman and the Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1941-1945  (2002) was a New York Times bestseller for several months and was Amazon's bestselling history book of the year.
  • Presidential Courage: Brave Leaders and How they Changed America, 1789-1989  (2007) was a New York Times bestseller for several months and was a #1 Washington Post bestseller.
  • Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy  (2011), introduced and annotated by Beschloss, was a #1 New York Times bestseller.

Beschloss told the tv interviewer today that he personally does not accept Donald Trump as president.

Professionally, of course, he will have to. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Impressive CV.

However, I'm afraid I cannot comprehend how anyone cannot accept the elected president as the president. It's like saying one does not accept an American citizen to be an American citizen, no matter how one might feel about them. How about I don't accept Coca Cola as being a soft drink (soda?), or milk as being a dairy product. To me it's nonsensical. ("nonsensical" - a great word I first got to know by reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. When I read there the word "tackiturn" I had to look it up in the dictionary. Love that novel.)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Maybe Beschloss doesn't think a narcissistic pathological liar, bully, and fraud should be president. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

It's not his call. The electorate has spoken.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

No matter whose opinion is that he should not be president, he IS (or will be in a few days, if nobody assassinates him in the meantime), like it or not.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Donald is the Manchurian candidate.  We have members here who celebrate Russia's interference.  That's what is anti American.

Maybe their constituents don't want them attending.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I see nothing wrong with a country having its elections interfered with, when that very county is famous for doing the very same thing. In Law we learned that one must come to equity with clean hands.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

True. Especially since there is no evidence of "interference".

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

"We have members here who celebrate Russia's interference."

Do you have any evidence? Or is this a hysterical liberal lie? I think I know.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Who? Who "celebrates" russian interference?  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  jennilee   7 years ago

No one, clearly. It's just hysterics. 

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Donald is the Manchurian candidate.

Projecting the oft-mentioned and deeply justified references to Obama over the last  8 years.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Jonathan P   7 years ago

Bestie!  Didn't you like the movie?

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

The Lawrence Harvey version was superior.

Trump is not smart enough to be programmed.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

And yet he is.  No matter what your opinion of him, he is the duly elected president of the United States of America.  He will be sworn in on January 20th, no matter what you think.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

Democrats putting party over nation again. Sad.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    7 years ago

Oh really?

Like this is something that needs to be noted?

Want a clue, NEVER in the history of presidential inaugurations, (which take place on the Capitol Building steps, yeah, outside, in January, in DC no less) have the entire House of Representative or Senate been in attendance.

Some show up, some do not. I do not believe that all the republicans are going to show up either, the difference being is they are not going to turn their non-appearance into an event.

But histrionics do seem to impress democrats....

Just another avenue to express their whine.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

Maybe in other times members did not show up for many reasons, the cold, an illness, considering the event boring or simply of no interest, but this time those particular members are staying away to make a point and establish themselves to their respctive electorates as fiercely opposing Trump's presidency. IMO, sadly for the Democrats, the more far out they become in their opposition the more strength they are providing for the opinions of those who opposed them in the election.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

They ate protesting that Obama or his disciple are not ascending the throne.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

They ate protesting that Obama or his disciple are not ascending the throne.

Fried chicken and tacos probably, right? 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

Are you a racist? You previously used the Uncle Tom slur.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

The tantrum will likely continue for 8 years...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Perhaps more than 8 years considering what the Dems are doing to make their party even less viable, by even CONSIDERING Ellison to lead it, and openly declaring that they will do whatever is possible to oppose anything Trump does, even ruin his inauguration. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

What a bunch of hypocrites.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

WTF is that? lol. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

Sounds like a good start hopefully more will follow suit. We should offer them the year off with pay just to get them out of the way. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Only "working" 123 days a year pretty much gives them a year off with pay - way too much pay for their "participation".

Note - $174,000.00 base salary, without the benefits plus expense accounts included, divided by 123 days, allows them to earn $1,414.65 A DAY - for "working".

What a job, eh?

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

Good thing they announced their "pout out" because, otherwise, nobody would notice. The weather will be near 50 degrees. The hotels inside the city are sold out at exorbitant prices and the hotels for miles outside the city are selling out fast. The large crowds will paralyze the downtown areas just like it does on every inauguration. Trump supporters won't miss these clowns any more than Hillary supporters would have missed those she labeled deplorable. I hear the snowflakes will stage a protest where they can throw a public tantrum over Trump's election -- declaring him a racist and Russian stooge -- while no doubt later bemoaning how a hyper partisan government can't get anything done. 

So we stun the world by electing the most undignified candidate in my lifetime and then follow it up with the most juvenile reaction to losing that I have ever seen. Our election process has about as much dignity and decorum as the Jerry Springer show. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

"I hear the snowflakes will stage a protest where they can throw a public tantrum over Trump's election -- declaring him a racist and Russian stooge -- while no doubt later bemoaning how a hyper partisan government can't get anything done."

Perfectly stated.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    7 years ago

Boycott your ass off, Trump will still be president.  

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  jennilee   7 years ago

And all they'll get for their pains is frostbite.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

The total is up over 50. That is about a quarter of the Democratic representatives. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent

They should boycott the next legislative session, too. That would show him!

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

I wonder how they will explain to the voters in their District/State what happened when all the Federal facilities/military bases/contracts with manufacturers in those Districts/States just sort of vanish and are sent to other places  Yes, it's not very nice but it is perfectly legal; all you have to do is have someone in the GSA/Pentagon sufficiently imaginative to figure out what at least looks like a reason for moving the destination of the Federal money.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

The total is up over 50. That is about a quarter of the Democratic representatives. 

Those are great seats and I'm sure republicans would love to have them. Trump should post the phone number of each boycotting representative so thousands of people can ask for ticket directly.  

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    7 years ago

There are unconfirmed reports that if one more disgruntled Democratic member of Congress announces their  intention to not attend the inauguration that it will be cancelled, the election declared void and Hillary will be given a do over.

Research into these unconfirmed reports continues ----

/s

geek