╌>

John Lewis Boycotted George W. Bush’s First Inauguration Too, And He Gave The Same Reason

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sixpick  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

John Lewis Boycotted George W. Bush’s First Inauguration Too, And He Gave The Same Reason

6:53 PM 01/16/2017

If I’m supposed to care that Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) is boycotting Trump’s inauguration, and if it’s somehow a big deal that Trump hit back at him like everybody knew he would, then the following item seems relevant.

From Kevin Merida at WaPo on Jan. 21, 2001 , here’s a look back at the Congressional Dems who hated George Bush and couldn’t believe he was president:

“It’s kind of gloomy,” says Rep. John Conyers, the Michigan Democrat who is dean of the Congressional Black Caucus. He boards the Capitol’s underground subway en route to the swearing-in, then pulls a black ribbon from his suit pocket. “I’ve got a little pin to put on.” It’s a CBC protest pin. There’s a small piece of paper attached: This ribbon represents the fact that the will of the people was not honored in the 2000 presidential election. That’s how John Conyers feels about George W. Bush’s big moment. “But we’ve got to keep on fighting,” he adds.

Some members of the Black Caucus decided to boycott Inauguration Day; John Lewis, for instance, spent the day in his Atlanta district. He thought it would be hypocritical to attend Bush’s swearing-in because he doesn’t believe Bush is the true elected president.

Which is the exact same reason he’s giving this time.

What’s that? We’re supposed to talk about what John Lewis did 50 years ago, but not what he did 16 years ago? Too bad.

The next time somebody tells you that this situation is unprecedented, that this time it’s different, just show them that. If things are different this time, it’s not for that reason. John Lewis just can’t stand to lose an election. And he thinks he has a lifetime pass to do and say whatever he wants, because that’s how the media treats him. You can either agree with him or shut up, if you don’t want to be called a racist.

~Link~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   seeder  sixpick    7 years ago

Congressman John Lewis deserves respect for what he has done, but he doesn't deserve respect for what he is doing.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

Interesting. Lewis is really just a crazy old man who whines whenever his party loses?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

and? 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

And, this demonstrates a pattern of being unable to accept reality. I suspect he's senile. His decades at the congressional trough have caught up to him.

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi    7 years ago

I suspect that Lewis is a lot like Al Sharpton... the best thing that has happened for him is the election of Donald Trump. Trump's election has refreshed their viability and given them a new soapbox upon which to rant and rave, drawing attention to how bravely and loudly they fight for their people.

Sharpton is having a tough time convincing the usual suspects, however. Today he was questioned by a group of Blacks as to what, exactly... specifically... he has done for Blacks, and particularly, what part did he play in the protests for Freddie Gray... where was he? He told the person asking him "Ya'll took care of that, I wasn't in that... that's ya'lls problem." Last year he was kicked out of the funeral of a Black cop shot by a Black criminal and out of the home of the Black officer, and now this. It appears the Black community are no longer the sheep who have followed so blindly in the past.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

What has Lewis done since Selma?  He's gone from protesting 'The Man' to being the man.  Fat cat Congressman.

I am declaring here and now, that I will also not attend President Trump's inauguration.  Mainly because I hate the traffic in D.C.  This follows my not attending.....everyone else's inauguration.

I actually used to work as a Chauffeur part time while stationed in D.C. and did drive during a couple inaugurations-big money for a good Chauffeur, but lots and lots of hours.

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I testified before Congress a lot during passage of the Clean Water Act and spent over a year driving around D.C. and the Maryland area. It was quite easy if you managed to get one of the special maps from the Senate building that had the streets color coded and Crystal City mapped out along with Georgetown and surrounding areas with the popular hangouts ... bars and eating spots .... of the political guys and their aides.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

Lewis is apparently incapable of performing the simple mental function of separating respect for the office of the president from his contempt for the man who occupies it. He represents all the people in his District, not just those who voted for Hillary. I give him credit for his accomplishments 50 years ago but, today, he is a poor example for our children and a disgrace to democracy. 

screminmimi
Freshman Silent
link   screminmimi    7 years ago

Amen