╌>

On Brink of Repeal, Obamacare Has Never Been More Popular

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  24 comments

On Brink of Repeal, Obamacare Has Never Been More Popular

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/brink-repeal-obamacare-has-never-been-more-popular-n707806

As Republicans get closer to repealing it, President Barack Obama's federal health-care law - or Obamacare - has never been more popular, according to results from a new national NBC News/Wall Street Journal.

And half of Americans - 50 percent - say they have little to no confidence that Republican proposals to replace the law will make things better.

The poll finds 45 percent of respondents believing that the health-care law is a good idea, which is the highest percentage here since the NBC/WSJ poll began asking the question in April 2009.

By contrast, 41 percent of Americans say the health-care law is a bad idea. It's the first time in the poll since the law's passage in 2010 where more think it is a good idea than a bad idea.

Attitudes about Obamacare continue to break along partisan lines - 80 percent of Democrats say the law is a good idea, versus just 13 percent of Republicans. (Among independents, 36 percent say it's a good idea, while 41 percent say it's a bad one.)

Last week, congressional Republicans in the House and Senate  passed legislation that begins the process of repealing the law. No Democrats voted to join them.

Yet according to the poll, a combined 50 percent of Americans say the law is working well (6 percent) or needs minor modifications to improve it (44 percent).

That's compared with a combined 49 percent who believe it needs a major overhaul (33 percent) or should be totally eliminated (16 percent).

And just 26 percent of Americans have either a "great deal" or "quite a bit of confidence" that congressional Republicans will replace the law with something better, while a combined 50 percent say they have either "very little" or no confidence with the GOP here.

The NBC/WSJ poll was conducted Jan. 12-15 of 1,000 adults - including nearly 500 reached via cell phone - and it has an overall margin of error of plus-minus 3.1 percentage points. More from the poll will be released at 5:00 pm ET.

President-elect Donald Trump has taken to Twitter to criticize national polls that have found his approval rating to be near 40 percent as "rigged" and "phony," saying: "The same people who did the phony election polls, and were so wrong, are now doing approval rating polls."

The same people who did the phony election polls, and were so wrong, are now doing approval rating polls. They are rigged just like before.

Yet while the national polls weren't that far off - Hillary Clinton beat Trump by two points in the popular vote, 48 percent to 46 percent - this NBC/WSJ poll and other post-election surveys don't depend on pollsters' assumptions about which voters will come to the polls. Instead, they are measuring current public opinion among all Americans, not just voters or likely voters. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

The congressional machinations of how to proceed on health care may be the most interesting thing to come out of the new administration's first months. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

I'm praying that President Elect Trump and the Republicans are successful in repealing the ACA.  When I think of all those Trump voters who are going to lose their healthcare, I can honestly say it just makes me giddy.  I'm also anxious to see the medicare benefits get rolled back.  And I've already noticed more advertisement on television encouraging people to invest in the stock market for their retirement.  How'd that work out last time....lol!  I shouldn't laugh because my husband lost $60k in his retirement fund before we pulled it out otherwise he would have walked away with practically nothing.  The Republicans may want to start looking into appropriating funds for death panels.  I just have a feeling lots of people are going to start keeling over and the Gov't is going to have to pay to bury them. 

Aeonpax
Freshman Silent
link   Aeonpax  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

"I'm praying that President Elect Trump and the Republicans are successful in repealing the ACA.  When I think of all those Trump voters who are going to lose their healthcare, I can honestly say it just makes me giddy."

`

What deity are you praying to?

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Aeonpax   7 years ago

Nemesis - the Greek god of vengeance.  lol

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I'm excited for the repeal too. Rewarding the drunks and lazy bums and punishing the successful and productive is never a good idea. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P    7 years ago

Polls, mixed with conjecture.

Proven unreliability, mixed with speculation.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

I think Trump will try and pull a fast one. 

If the new health care law is worse for people than the ACA, Trump will bs and say it is better. He knows he would get a certain amount of  approval from his supporters if he "shot someone in the middle of Times Square" so he will depend on that lemming like following to paper over the failures of his new health care bill. 

But let's see what happens. maybe the "better angels" of our leaders will prevail instead. 

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

It's going to be a "Medicare Advantage" plan for people of all ages, IMHO.

That will give him greater negotiating power with the providers, the insurance companies and the drug companies.