╌>

Jack Nicholson Is Basically Retired - Memory Loss Rumored

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  19 comments

Jack Nicholson Is Basically Retired - Memory Loss Rumored

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/jack-nicholson-set-retire-after-9635439

Jack Nicholson  is to retire after 60 years onscreen.

The legendary actor - who is arguably most famous for his role in The Shining - is "basically retired", according to his Easy Rider co-star Peter Fonda.

Speaking to The Sun newspaper at a Bafta Tea Party event in Los Angeles, he said: "I think he is ­basically retired. I don’t want to speak for him but he has done a lot of work and he has done very well as a person financially.

"Sometimes ­people have a reason that you don’t know, and it’s not for me to ask. I don’t call him up and say, 'Johnny,' I call him Johnny Hop, 'What are you doing?' I would say, 'How are you, how do you feel?'"

Throughout his illustrious career, the  79-year-old actor  was nominated for 12 Academy Awards, winning three.

Jack Nicholson

Jack Nicholson pictured here in December last year (Photo: FameFlynet)

He also won seven Golden Globes including the Cecil B. DeMille Award in 1999 for his outstanding contribution to film.

Meanwhile, Jack previously admitted he feels ageing has helped him make "improvements in his character".

He said: "If men are honest, everything they do and everywhere they go is for a chance to see women. There were points in my life where I felt oddly irresistible to women. I’m not in that state now and that makes me sad.

Dennis Hopper, Feliciano, Peter Fonda, J. Jefferson and Jack Nicholson at the Cannes Film Festival to promote the film 'Easy Rider', 1969

Dennis Hopper, Feliciano, Peter Fonda, J. Jefferson and Jack Nicholson at the Cannes Film Festival to promote the film 'Easy Rider', 1969 (Photo: Getty)

"But I also believe that a lot of the improvements in my character have come through ageing and the diminishing of powers. It’s all a balancing act; you just have to get used to the ride."

And Jack hates how his job thrusts him into the spotlight as he doesn't want to be treated like the Lincoln Memorial.

Jack Nicholson

Jack Nicholson (Photo: FameFlynet)

Speaking in 2011, he added: "I hate it. I don’t want to be treated like the Medusa or the Lincoln Memorial. People have an idea of me which is not the reality. On set I’m an actor like every other actor.

"Most times, for every part I play, I can think of other actors who would be better. I worry from the moment I take a job. I worry about how I’m going to do it, if I can do it. I try to work out what I have to do on set and how I do that."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

One of my favorite actors. 

Gene Hackman couldn't remember the lines any more either. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Marlon Brando stopped even trying. He used cue cards.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Always loved Jack. Better to go out being remembered well than a has been. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

He is not really the elder statesman or family patriarch type anyway, which is probably all he could get as parts as an 80 year old. 

I guess he could do old gangster again. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

"I guess he could do old gangster again."

Or "The Shining" character, because age should not make a difference with that, but certainly not an "Easy Rider" type role again. I thought his light shone pretty bright in "A Few Good Men".

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I couldn't open the video so perhaps that's where it's indicated that he couldn't remember lines, because it's not in the article you posted. Perter Fonda went on to say that Jack might act again if he were presented with a script that was irresistable. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

You are right Buzz, that is not in the seeded article. I thought it was. It must have been in another article I was looking at at the same time.  Nicholson's memory loss has been rumored for a few years though. 

Jack Nicholson 'retires from acting due  to  memory loss  ...

www.theguardian.com  ›  Arts  ›  Movies  ›  Jack   Nicholson

Reports claim that  Jack Nicholson  has retired from acting due to  memory loss . Radar Online and Star Magazine say the 76-year-old, three-time Oscar-winner is no longer ...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I guess memory loss is what I'm inevitably looking forward to. I'm a few months older than Jack but I can remember events from when I was as young as 2 or 3 years old. However, today, where did I put my glasses down?

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

However, today, where did I put my glasses down?

That's actually not that bad Buzz.  You know that the memory loss is bad when you search for them for an hour, then happen to look in a mirror and see that you're wearing them.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Hah!! That actually happened to me once. My wife had to point out to me that I was wearing them. Hello dementia!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Hopefully it's just a rumor.

I've always enjoyed him in his many roles. The Last Detail and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest are two that I've watched numerous times.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

I liked him in the Postman Always Rings Twice.  He's done great work.  For whatever his reasons to hang his hat he's done enough that I won't feel cheated.  

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

His upbringing was interesting - growing up thinking that his sister was his sister, when really she was his mother.  

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    7 years ago

Jack was/is still one of the best. While many of us would like to rest on our laurels, few can do so as well as Jack. Haven't seen a Nicholson movie I really did not like. God luck, Jack and I am sure I will be re-watching one of your movies sooner rather than later.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I'm very sorry to learn this-- He has always been such a great actor!  May he enjoy his retirement!