Bob Dylan to release new three-disc collection of standards

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  6 comments

Entertainment Weekly, January 31 2017

AAmjAqL.img.jpg

© AFP/Getty Images US legend Bob Dylan performs on stage

Bob Dylan is showing no signs of slowing down.

Fresh off the news that he’ll be headlining the Firefly Music Festival this summer, Dylan announced a new three-disc studio album, Triplicate, that will feature 30 covers of classic American tunes.

The set, which will be released March 31 on CD and vinyl, will mark the Grammy winner’s third album of standards, following 2016’s Fallen Angels and 2015’s Shadows in the Night. This go-round will feature hand-picked songs from Charles Strouse and Lee Adams (“Once Upon a Time”), Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler (“Stormy Weather”), Harold Hupfield (“As Time Goes By”), and Cy Coleman and Carolyn Leigh (“The Best is Yet to Come”).

The full list of songs:

Disc 1, ‘Til the Sun Goes Down

1. I Guess I’ll Have to Change My Plans

2. September of My Years

3. I Could Have Told You

4. Once Upon a Time

5. Stormy Weather

6. This Nearly Was Mine

7. That Old Feeling

8. It Gets Lonely Early

9. My One and Only Love

10. Trade Winds

Disc 2, Devil Dolls

1. Braggin’

2. As Time Goes By

3. Imagination

4. How Deep is the Ocean

5. P.S. I Love You

6. The Best is Yet to Come

7. But Beautiful

8. Here’s That Rainy Day

9. Where is the One

10. There’s a Flaw in My Flute

Disc 3, Comin’ Home Late

1. Day In, Day Out

2. I Couldn’t Sleep a Wink Last Night

3. Sentimental Journey

4. Somewhere Along the Way

5. When the World Was Young

6. These Foolish Things

7. You Go to My Head

8. Stardust

9. It’s Funny to Everyone But Me

10. Why Was I Born

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

At this point in his career, IMO, Dylan should stop singing and stick to writing. Back in the 60s and 70s his protest songs and broadsides tore into your soul notwithstanding that he had a relatively raspy voice - it made his words more penetrating, and even in his more melodic songs, like Lay Lady Lay, Tamborine Man, etc. his voice was not that hard to listen to. But, unlike Leonard Cohen in his old age, Dylan's voice is no longer easy to listen to. I have heard him sing Full Moon and Empty Arms, for example, and to me his voice was scratchy, wavering, and he had some difficulty reachng higher notes. When it comes to the songs on this new album set, like Stormy Weather, As Time Goes By, Sentimental Journey and These Foolish Things, for example, he can't possibly hold a candle to smooth voices like those of Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett or even Frank Sinatra - they are the ones whose voices should be heard singing those songs.

I still believe that he was the spokesperson for a whole generation, a poet laureate, a breaker of tradition (Newport, 1965 - I was there), and deserving for a long time of the Nobel Prize in Literature. He was one of my idols back in those days. However, there is a time when all good things must come to an end, and for Dylan, IMO this is the time.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Most singers get around to the standards sooner or later, particularly but not solely the female singers. Bob Dylan has never been a good singer, in my opinion. 

Maybe he's tired of writing. 

But if you want to see how a standard should be sung, I will agree with you Buzz and offer this example.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

You will have to give me the title and name of the singer, John. I can't open YouTube.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Sorry Buzz. 

Michael Buble,   You'll Never Know

" You'll Never Know " is a  popular   song  with music written by  Harry Warren  and the lyrics by Mack Gordon . [1]  The song is based on a poem written by a young Oklahoma war bride named Dorothy Fern Norris. [2]

The song was introduced in the  1943  movie  Hello, Frisco, Hello  where it was sung by  Alice Faye . [1]  The song won the 1943  Academy Award for Best Original Song , [3]  one of nine nominated songs that year. [1]  It was also performed by Faye in the  1944  film  Four Jills in a Jeep .

The song is often credited as Faye's  signature song . However, Faye never released a record of the ballad, and frequent later recordings of the song by other singers diminished her association with it.

It was recorded in 1943 by, among others,  Frank Sinatra [3]  and  Dick Haymes . The Haymes’ version was also a number one hit for four weeks on the  Billboard  and  Harlem Hit Parade charts. [4]

Sinatra recorded his version at his first recording session at  Columbia  as a solo artist. (He had recorded at Columbia in 1939 as a member of  Harry James ’s band.) It was arranged and conducted by  Alec Wilder  with the  Bobby Tucker  Singers providing accompaniment. Sinatra’s version charted for 16 weeks starting July 24 and spent two weeks at number 2. [5]

In  Britain , the recording by  Vera Lynn  was popular during the ongoing  Second World War .

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Here is Bob Dylan singing the Sinatra classic "All The Way"

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Couldn't find it here, but I listened to him sing the beginning of The Night They Called It a Day and had to turn it off it was so horrible.