╌>

Clips From Every Movie That Won An Oscar For Best Visual Effects--- 1927- 2016

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  6 comments

Clips From Every Movie That Won An Oscar For Best Visual Effects---  1927- 2016

The Academy Award for Best Visual Effects tends to recognize movies that the Oscars otherwise overlook: the sci-fi epics, the technological breakthroughs, the big-budget extravaganzas. It’s where Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey , Spielberg’s Jurassic Park , Donner’s original Superman , and the recent films of Christopher Nolan—to take just a few examples—have managed to find some awards success.

A new supercut of every Oscar winner for Visual Effects, compiled by Burger Fiction , thus works as a gorgeous, fascinating journey through film history, with Best Picture winners like Ben-Hur and Forrest Gump placed right alongside niche fare and superhero blockbusters. There’s a remarkable line of winners from the ’70s, particularly—featuring King Kong , Star Wars , Superman , and Alien back to back—that showcases classic cinema at its most visually audacious.

Since the turn of the century, we’ve seen the Academy prioritize big budgets over the boundlessness of imagination. But as the final stretch of this supercut indicates, we’re seeing a welcome shift toward more inventive, if financially scaled-back, productions once again. In 2013, Gravity emerged as the lowest-budget victor in 10 years—and that was before last year’s champ, Ex Machina , became the lowest-budget champ, in real dollars, in more than 50 years. Looking ahead to this month’s Oscars, then, it’s worth wondering: Might a surprise out-of-the-box winner—say an animated movie like Kubo and the Two Strings —walk away with the prize?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/02/13/watch_this_gorgeous_supercut_of_every_visual_effects_oscar_winner.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

From about Star Wars (1977) on, it was mainly about science fiction and fantasy.

And I still can't believe Minority Report didn't win in 2002.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Wow!  Those were great movies, all in all!  I was surprised at how many of them I had seen and it makes we want to see the other nominees as well!

Thanks for the great article!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

I always like the parting of the Red Sea in The Ten Commandments. The ground where the water used to be looked so dry.

hqdefault.jpg

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

It really did look dry!  That was a fantastic shot!  (I wonder how they did that?)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Special effects is the one field where huge improvements are made by leaps and bounds. I remember when "The Matrix", came out, no one had done anything like that before, now it's used in TV shows.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I wish they could remake some of the old Star Trek TV shows, (with the original cast, which is impossible, since so many of them are dead), but I would like to see how some of those more cheesy effects could be done today...  We watched Star Trek, and old one, yesterday and wow, the effects were quite cheesy looking-- which I found surprising.  I know, I know, but I had never noticed that before...