Scientists Discover 60 New Planets, Some Similar To Earth

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  9 comments

By Samantha Karas, International Business Times, February 14, 2017

planets.jpg
Are Aliens Real? Scientists Discover 60 New Planets And Some Can Support Life

Mankind is one step closer to possibly discovering life outside Earth. A group of astronomers have discovered 60 new extrasolar planets near the Solar System, with some of them having the likelihood to sustain life, the Independent reported Tuesday.

One planet – Gliese 411-b – strongly resembles Earth and tells researchers that it is possible for stars close to the sun to have their own planets with orbits potentially supporting alien life. "It is fascinating to think that when we look at the nearest stars, all of them appear to have planets orbiting them. This is something astronomers were not convinced about, even as little as five years ago. These new planets also help us better understand the formation processes of planetary systems and provide interesting targets for future efforts to image the planets directly,” said Dr. Mikko Tuomi of the University of Hertfordshire and one of the astronomers on the team.

Gliese 411-b is considered a “hot super-Earth,” located in the third closest planetary system to the Sun. Since it resembles Earth and is relatively near the Solar System, its discovery means that there could be other planets in the galaxy similar to the Earth, according to the researchers.

Findings for the new planets were compiled after scientists conducted nearly 61,000 observations of 1,600 stars within a 20-year time frame. In addition to the 60 planets confirmed by the scientists, they also uncovered evidence of another possible 54 planets, tallying the count to 114. Astronomers used the Keck-I telescope in Hawaii, a segment of the Lick-Carnegie Exoplanet Survey implemented in 1996 by esteemed astronomers Paul Butler from the Carnegie Institute of Science, and Geoffrey Marcy and Steve Vogt, both from the University of California.

“Keck-I telescope and its instruments have been wonderful tools in establishing the current consensus that virtually all stars have planets orbiting them. These new discoveries will further help us characterize the population of planets in the immediate Solar neighborhood,” Tuomi said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

It would be an extreme of egotism to think that we are the most advanced species in the world. This just makes the "Area 51" (or is that "41") more plausible.

In any event, there is at least a possibility for mankind to escape the armageddon it is bound to create, and start the cycle over again on another planet - Think Noah's Ark. After all, if it was possible for Superman to come here, why can't we go out there as well? LOL

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Very cool article Buzz. I have to agree with you.. in an infinite universe, I doubt we are alone. In fact, I am pretty sure we have been visited based on drawing on cave walls and writings from ancient times. 

Image result for cave drawings space men drawn by early man

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Holy smoke!!!  If those drawings are legitimate, we've probably been visited millenia ago by more advanced species.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

The drawings, according to the provided explanation, would seem to indicate that beings from other solar systems or galaxies have a physical appearance very similar to human beings. I think this is very unlikely.

Ancient aliens is basically a debunked theory.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Yes, I guess it would take a planet with similar characteristics, physical ingredient makeup, same water formulae, etc to create similar beings through evolution (however I will stick to my "Superman" from Krypton theory about Adam and Eve). I guess you prefer the One-eyed, one-horned flyin' Purple People Eater theory.

purple_people_eater.jpg

Have you ever imagined that Moses in a basket floating down the Nile River could be an allegory for being in a spaceship flying through space to Earth?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Great article Buzz,

Perrie is correct in the US many Native rock painting show other people from space. They are known and the ''Star People''.

wmolaw
Professor Silent
link   wmolaw    7 years ago

All I can say, Buzz, is Trump is President for less than a month and we are already making SPACE Great Again!

LOL

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  wmolaw   7 years ago

Well really Elon Musk is. I think it's pretty cool. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

Now, if we could just travel close to light speed, we may be able to go there and see for ourselves!  thumbs up