╌>

White Kansas Man Spewing Racial Slurs Shoots Indians He Thought Were 'Middle Eastern'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  32 comments

White Kansas Man Spewing Racial Slurs Shoots Indians He Thought Were 'Middle Eastern'

Witnesses say the U.S. military veteran screamed 'Get out of my country!' at the innocent victims.

Photo Credit: GoFundMe / LinkedIn / AlterNet

A white Kansas man suspected of shooting two Indian men in an apparent hate crime said he had thought they were from the Middle East.

Adam Purinton allegedly opened fire on three people at a bar in Olathe, Kansas on Wednesday. One man was killed, while the other two were seriously injured.

Witnesses told local media that Purinton had spewed racial slurs and shouted, "Get out of my country!" before attacking the completely innocent men.

Purinton, a 51-year-old Olathe resident and Navy veteran, was arrested early Thursday morning while drinking at a bar in an Applebee's in Clinton, Missouri.

According to the bartender, Purinton told him he had needed a place to hide out after killing two "Middle Eastern" men. Upon hearing this, the bartender called the police, who took the suspected shooter into custody.

The supposed "Middle Eastern" men Purinton allegedly shot were both engineers on the aviation systems team at the technology company, Garmin.

A GoFundMe page set up for the victims identified the man who was killed as Srinivas Kuchibhotla. According to the page, which was set up by a friend of Kuchibhotla, the shooter had been drunk and was "hurling racial slurs" before the attack.

"Srini was the kindest person you would meet, full of love, care and compassion for everyone," the page reads. "He never uttered a word of hatred, a simple gossip, or a careless comment. He was brilliant, well-mannered and simply an outstanding human being.  His wife, Sunayana, and his family are now faced with incredible grief and a multitude of expenses."

The other Indian man injured was identified as Alok Madasani. "We're saddened that two Garmin associates were involved in last night's incident, and we express our condolences to the family and friends of our co-workers involved," their company said in a statement after the attack.

"Alok Madasani and Srinivas Kuchibhotla, both employees at Garmin, were enjoying their evening at a local sports bar in Olathe, KS when they were confronted with racist, bigoted remarks and ultimately shot as part of what appears to have been a vicious hate crime," wrote another GoFundMe page for the victims.

The third victim has been identified as Ian Grillot. He was shot in the hand and shoulder. A GoFundMe page set up for him narrated the incident: "Ian found himself in the wrong place trying to be a helping hand. Ian stood up for two people being mistreated by a man who was in the wrong. Said man left and later returned to Austins Bar and Grill to open fire. Ian thought all rounds were done and tried to go after the man. This resulted in Ian being shot."

This is by no means the first time South Asians have been attacked by racists and Islamophobes who assumed they were from the Middle East.

In December, a man shot a store clerk of Indian descent in Michigan in the face. The shooter, who also appeared to be a U.S. military veteran, called the clerk a "terrorist," insisted he was a member of ISIS, and shouted that he "used to kill people like him in Iraq."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

I checked out the story and the local papers are carrying it.

The nut case was arrested at Applebee's in Clinton MO.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

It is very common for muslim haters and islamophobes to mistake people from India for ISIS. 

My family and friends had a party that included a cooking contest last week. A number of people were assigned a country to cook a dish from and one of them was India. The woman (my niece) who cooked for India came into the party with her two year old daughter who was dressed in an Indian costume that her mom had bought on Amazon 

Seawhisper Kid's Performance India Costume School Show Outfit Girl Halloween Costumes

One of the guys made this comment 

"Why are you bringing ISIS in here?"

(That guy is a Chicago police officer by the way.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the guy in Kansas believe that every brown skinned person who doesn't look hispanic is ISIS ? 

These are our Trump voters in action. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Why are you bringing ISIS in here?"

(That guy is a Chicago police officer by the way.)

I'm sure that he's  very moderate.../s

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Does the guy in Kansas believe that every brown skinned person who doesn't look hispanic is ISIS ? 

The real problem is not his inability to distinguish East Indians from Arabs but rather his belief that he's justified in killing people based solely on national origin. But if Trump voters are stupid because ethnicity confuses them, then Hillary voters are way dumber because they can't even figure out their own genders . . . even animals can do that. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    7 years ago

I'm on a South Park kick tonight...;~)

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

Great video...I love South Park.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

Probably one of those gun free zones where people are sitting ducks for nuts that were trained by the government to kill. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

It happened in a bar Dean.  Are you in favor of arming people who may very well be drunk? 

Maybe the security there should have frisked everyone as they came in. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Nice spin Dean...It was a bar in Kansas not likely that it was a gun free zone.

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Understatement of the day!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

Ever the contrarian ...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I know that most people with half a brain in their heads know hispanics from arabs. 

But I live by a large Indian/sikh community and they really suffer. Most people don't get that they are not arabs or share even the same the faith. To make matters worse, the use of the term "towel head" has made sikhs prime targets, and they are not muslim..

It's a real shame that we know so little about each other. 

BTW... Lock him up!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

A number of Sikh's have been killed by nut cases that thought they were Muslim. Sad.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Many were beaten and shot at an I believe one was killed after 9-11 because people thought they were Middle-Easterners and the same as the people who flew the planes.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Generally speaking, people from India do not look like middle easterners. But those like this shooter in the bar only see skin color and hear a funny accent. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    7 years ago

I see my point was taken....

Ya'll missed one....

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

Are you suggesting that this dirtbag voted for Hillary?

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

I see my point was taken....

As far as I can see you made no comment on this thread. So there does not seem to be a point put forward to have been taken or not.

I could certainly, not always but as a general rule, agree with that.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Yeah I made a comment, but it and well over a half a dozen others have been deleted because they were an irrelevant and completely whacked out blaming of Donald Trump for this tragedy.

As the statement above is also....

By the way, Who-hit-John, is NEVER compatible with guns. Just in case anyone wants a relevant statement.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

Maybe you answered and it was deleted?  I'll repeat the question for you - do you think that this dirtbag voted for Hillary?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

I'm not sure that you made a point, NWM.

If it's somehow related to the comment that you highlighted, perhaps the person at the party would know that comment was true since he has first hand knowledge and you do not.

No comments have been deleted from this article. I did not call for deletions, nor am I aware of anyone that did.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

well, they were there when I posted my comment and more were added afterwards.

And my comment is now gone and all of those also.

Thank you for validating that I had commented....

Kavika
Professor Principal

I didn't validate anything NWM...What in the hell are you talking about? All the comments are there, including yours.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

To be honest, there are in fact times when I can't figure out when NM is talking about. 

In any case

was not meant to apply to or describe every Trump voter. I do think however that it would be a safe assumption that this killer was not a Hillary voter, as Kavika said. He wasn't likely a Johnson voter or Stein voter either. 

But then, he may not have voted at all. 

Trump followers are in the forefront of anti-Muslim thought. Trump's closest advisers are anti-Muslim, and they have made it known that the administration is as well. 

Why we have to constantly go over this is a mystery. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
link   Nowhere Man    7 years ago

We've been down this road before you and I, and I don't choose to go down it a second time, just know, that my opinion hasn't changed.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Whatever NWM....Your comments make no sense at all.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Well, someone deleted a whole ream of comments, there was even another Southpark reference, a number of comments from Mac and a number of others also. So you can continue as you will.

Now your making like they were never there.

My opinion hasn't changed one bit.....

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Nowhere Man   7 years ago

It was a different seed with this same crap thrown in. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

You mean like the crap you threw in this one Dean?

''Probably one of those gun free zones where people are sitting ducks for nuts that were trained by the government to kill.''

Thanks for the verification.

Kavika
Professor Principal

You are full of it NWM. Your comment is there as well as all others. You should re evaluate your comments, and try to make some sense.

I'm not making like they were never there, because they were never there.

As I said before, I DID NOT delete any comments or did I ask anyone to delete comments. The only person that can delete them after the time limit is Perrie. Maybe you should accuse her, think that would go over well?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide

Well someone is playing fucked up silly games, I POSTED to this one NOT that one......

And most of the fucked up comments about trump causing this are not there either..

Someone is definitely playing some fucked games with peoples postings.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Well if you didn't post on ''that one'' why are your comments all over it? Someone used your avatar I suppose.

No one is playing games NWM, you simply can't admit that you fucked up. Deal with it.