╌>

Democrats Bow to Voters, Opt for Total War on Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  20 comments

Democrats Bow to Voters, Opt for Total War on Trump

"... S purred by explosive protests and a torrent of angry phone calls and emails from constituents — and outraged themselves by Mr. Trump’s swift moves to enact a hard-line agenda — Democrats have all but cast aside any notion of conciliation with the White House. Instead, they are mimicking the Republican approach of the last eight years — the “party of no” — and wagering that brash obstruction will pay similar dividends.

Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington , vice chairman of the Democratic Governors Association, said there had been a “tornado of support” for wall-to-wall resistance to Mr. Trump. Mr. Inslee, who backed a lawsuit against the president’s executive order banning refugee admissions and travel from seven majority-Muslim countries, said Democrats intended to send a stern message to Mr. Trump during a conference of governors in the nation’s capital.

“My belief is, we have to resist every way and everywhere, every time we can,” when Mr. Trump offends core American values, Mr. Inslee said. By undermining Mr. Trump across the board, he said, Democrats hope to split Republicans away from a president of their own party.

“Ultimately, we’d like to have a few Republicans stand up to rein him in,” Mr. Inslee said. “The more air goes out of his balloon, the earlier and likelier that is to happen.”

==========================================================

Yet Democrats acknowledge there is a wide gulf between the party’s desire to fight Mr. Trump and its power to thwart him, quietly worrying that the expectations of the party’s activist base may outpace what Democratic lawmakers can achieve.

“They want us to impeach him immediately,” said Representative John Yarmuth, Democrat of Kentucky. “And of course we can’t do that by ourselves.”

Some in the party also fret that a posture of unremitting hostility to the president could imperil lawmakers in red states that Mr. Trump won last year, or compromise efforts for Democrats to present themselves to moderate voters as an inoffensive alternative to the polarizing president.

Rarely have Democrats been so weakened. Republicans control the White House, both chambers of Congress and 33 governorships, and they are preparing to install a fifth conservative,  Neil M. Gorsuch , on the Supreme Court.

Further, because of changes to Senate rules that were enacted under Democratic control, the party has been unable to block Mr. Trump’s cabinet nominees from being confirmed by a simple majority vote.

Democrats, in other words, have few instruments at the moment to wound Mr. Trump’s administration in the manner their core voters are demanding.

24DEMS-03-master675.jpg

Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, right, with Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, at a news conference on Capitol Hill in January. Mr. Sanders has so far not pushed to challenge Democratic lawmakers who have accommodated Mr. Trump.   Al Drago/The New York Times

Still, a mood of stiff opposition has taken hold on Capitol Hill, with Democrats besieged by constituents enraged by Mr. Trump’s actions — and lawmakers sharing their alarm.

“We have to fight like hell to stop him and hopefully save our country,” said Senator Jeff Merkley, Democrat of Oregon, echoing the near-apocalyptic stakes liberal voters are giving voice to at crowded town hall meetings.

Senator Thomas R. Carper of Delaware, a middle-of-the-road Democrat up for re-election in 2018, cautioned that loathing Mr. Trump, on its own, was not a governing strategy. He said he still hoped for compromise with Republicans on infrastructure funding and perhaps on a plan to improve or “repair” the Affordable Care Act.

“There is this vitriol and dislike for our new president,” Mr. Carper said. “The challenge for us is to harness it in a productive way and a constructive way, and I think we will.”

But Mr. Carper said the deliberations over Mr. Trump’s cabinet appointments had woken up Democrats, recalling that he had heard from thousands of voters about Scott Pruitt, Mr. Trump’s Environmental Protection Agency administrator , and  Betsy DeVos, his education secretary . Virtually every message expressed seething opposition, he said.

At times, Democratic frustration with Mr. Trump has already flared well beyond the normal range of opposition discourse: In Virginia, Tom Perriello, a former congressman seeking his party’s nomination for governor, apologized after calling Mr. Trump’s election a “political and constitutional Sept. 11.” And in New Jersey, Phil Murphy, a former Goldman Sachs banker and ambassador to Germany, drew criticism in his campaign for governor after likening the current political moment in America to the rise of Adolf Hitler.

Among rank-and-file Democrats, however, it is far from clear that the rhetoric of heated opposition is unwelcome.  A survey published on Wednesday  by the Pew Research Center found that nearly three-quarters of Democrats said they were concerned the party would not do enough to oppose Mr. Trump; only 20 percent were concerned Democrats would go too far in opposition.

A handful of liberal groups have already sprung up threatening to wage primary challenges against incumbent Democrats whom they see as insufficiently militant against Mr. Trump, raising the prospect of the same internecine wars that plagued Republicans during President Barack Obama’s administration.

the rest   https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/23/us/democrats-dnc-chairman-trump-keith-ellison-tom-perez.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

I don't care if some Democrats want to vote for legislation that will help people, but in general, they should oppose Trump at every turn. He is the least qualified president we have ever seen. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Trump is going to have an uphill battle being opposed by enough Republican establishment, and Democrats.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Oh the irony!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I never knew what was meant by a "Perfect Storm" until I saw the movie by that name, with George Clooney. What the people of the USA seem to me to be doing to their country is IMO the "perfect storm" to destroy it.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz, the country has been on a course of destruction for some time now.  Trump didn't start it.  The media, Organizing for Action, the Democrat Party, the Establishment all have a lot to lose.  They all have been working against this country for quite awhile.  Obama was very effective in accomplishing his agenda, which was to overload the system, bring as many undocumented Democrats as he could into this country, attack traditional values, eliminating family values and just plain doing what a community organizer is suppose to do, rile the people to promote change to put the people in total dependency of the government. 

The only problem he had was the people didn't want the change he was promoting and finally many came to their senses to stop it.  The politicians and media have turned against the people of this country.  You may see it differently and that's OK, but the government has been infiltrated with many people as government employees and appointees who have a different vision of what the people of this country desire.

The Democrats were caught with their pants down when Trump won the election.  They had no idea their plan would be interrupted the way it has been.  They can't allow Trump to succeed in anything.  They have many secrets they don't want exposed and they are terrified with Trump as President, not just because of his general personality, but they know he will expose how corrupt they have been.  I'm not saying Trump isn't a crook as well, but think of it like the mafia, a country run by the mafia and now the other mafia has control.   The Establishment, including politicians from both Parties have had control for many years.

They keep talking about Trump's approval ratings being so low, but he is within 2 points from his party as Obama was at this time in his Presidency.  You may say, "Well, it sure doesn't seem like it or the people are nuts who elected him", but where do you think the country would end up if all the illegals were given citizenship and unbridled immigration were to continue?  Doubling the National Debt and putting more and more people at the mercy of the government, where does that lead?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

Rarely have Democrats been so weakened. Republicans control the White House, both chambers of Congress and 33 governorships, and they are preparing to install a fifth conservative,  Neil M. Gorsuch , on the Supreme Court

Doesn't speak very highly of them.  I think they have 5 states out of the 50 now.  They are not protesting against Trump.  They are protesting against the will of the people.

I know it seems like you are the majority since you base all your assumptions on the Fake and Twisted News you see and hear everyday from the MSM and their minions.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

I know it seems like you are the majority since you base all your assumptions on the Fake and Twisted News you see and hear everyday from the MSM and their minions.

You must be in the "5 million illegal immigrants voted" group. 

I don't take advice from those who are addicted to conspiracies, as you are.  

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

I'm not offering you any advice.  I have my opinion about things and so far I have been correct many more times than you have, so why don't you go read some Nostradamus or play with your Ouija Board to see what the future holds.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Six, you have posted more false information to this forum than anyone else ever has. We can't go back and rewrite history. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

John, what do you have, a word processor program you put these comments you make in and just copy/paste them over and over? 

Have an original thought, man.  You sound like one of those little dolls you pull the string and it has a half dozen comments it spits out.  Pulling that string over and over doesn't make it any more true.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

Remember when you used to post 4 or 5 anti-Obama videos at a pop?  I looked into a number of those. All garbage. Edited, misleading, fake, all of it. You have been off track for a long long time. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    7 years ago

I don't know about anybody else but the sight of democrats jumping up and down everyday is becoming tiresome. If they keep it up, it'll be like a constant racket at the kid's table and the rest of us will tune them out.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

Your hatred of Hillary Clinton has made you an erratic commentator.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Pocket Hillary.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  1ofmany   7 years ago

I don't know about anybody else but the sight of democrats jumping up and down everyday is becoming tiresome.

It has already become tiresome to the majority of people.  You wouldn't know it if all you watched or read was the MSM as they keep lying, twisting the truth and making many feel there are a lot more of these nuts than there really are.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see right through it.