╌>

Ali's son detained by immigration at Fla. airport

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  36 comments

Ali's son detained by immigration at Fla. airport

Ali's son detained by immigration at Fla. airport 2 / 17

Danielle Lerner 7 hrs ago  

Muhammad Ali, Jr. and Laila Ali arrive at the funeral home.June 10, 2016: Muhammad Ali, Jr. and Laila Ali arrive at the funeral home. June 10, 2016 LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The son of legendary boxer Muhammad Ali was detained for hours by immigration officials earlier this month at a Florida airport, according to a family friend.

Muhammad Ali Jr., 44, and his mother, Khalilah Camacho-Ali, the first wife of Muhammad Ali, were arriving at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Feb. 7 after returning from speaking at a Black History Month event in Montego Bay, Jamaica. They were pulled aside while going through customs because of their Arabic-sounding names, according to family friend and lawyer Chris Mancini.

Immigration officials let Camacho-Ali go after she showed them a photo of herself with her ex-husband, but her son did not have such a photo and wasn't as lucky. Mancini said officials held and questioned Ali Jr. for nearly two hours, repeatedly asking him, "Where did you get your name from?" and "Are you Muslim?"

When Ali Jr. responded that yes, he is a Muslim, the officers kept questioning him about his religion and where he was born. Ali Jr. was born in Philadelphia in 1972 and holds a U.S. passport.

Reached for comment via email Friday, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection wrote, "Due to the restrictions of the Privacy Act, U.S. Customs and Border Protection cannot discuss individual travelers; however, all international travelers arriving in the U.S. are subject to CBP inspection."

The line of questioning is indicative of profiling and designed to produce answers that corroborate what officials want to hear, Mancini said. Neither Camacho-Ali nor Ali Jr. have ever been subjected to detainment before, despite extensive global travel experience, he said.

"To the Ali family, it's crystal clear that this is directly linked to Mr. Trump's efforts to ban Muslims from the United States," Mancini said, referring to President Trump's executive order signed Jan. 27 that instituted a ban for citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries.

Officials at the Fort Lauderdale airport did not immediately respond to requests for comment Friday.

Camacho-Ali and Ali Jr. live in Deerfield Beach, Fla., a 20-minute drive from the airport. While Ali Jr. was detained, Camacho-Ali ran around the airport asking, "Where's my son?" and begging for help, according to Mancini. Because incidents involving customs officials are considered to be on federal soil, local police had no jurisdiction to help her. Ali Jr. was eventually released two hours later, and the family contacted Mancini the following day.

Mancini said he and the Ali family are contemplating filing a federal lawsuit and are currently trying to find out how many other people have been subjected to the same treatment as Ali Jr.

"Imagine walking into an airport and being asked about your religion," he said. "This is classic customs profiling."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

"Imagine walking into an airport and being asked about your religion," he said. "This is classic customs profiling."

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

Disgusting. No major sweeps my ass! Racism and hate is becoming the norm in America and being encouraged by Trump and his supporters. It is NOT the norm in America and we never let it become so!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

That's the good thing about being named Hal A. Lujah.  It's obvious that I'm a God loving Christian. winking

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

LOL, good to know that you'll be safe at airports, Hal.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

They were pulled aside while going through customs because of their Arabic-sounding names, according to family friend and lawyer Chris Mancini.

This is kind of ground zero for islamophobia. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

Fairly typical when dealing with government employees. They have no competition so there is no incentive to deliver quality service. When one receives poor service from government employees there is rarely anyone held accountable for that low level of quality. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

And yet your hero, Trump want's to add 15,000 new government employees to ICE and the Border Patrol.

There goes more of your precious tax money down the drain, Dean.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

BTW, they'll all be union employees, better yet.

Of course the $21B for a wall...

It gets better all the time.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Good point with the union goons protecting their incompetence there is even less chance anyone will be held accountable for this dismal display of service quality. 

Kavika
Professor Principal

But Dean, it's your hero that is going to be responsible for all the added costs and the increase in taxes that is going to follow.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Quality control brought to you by the TSA. LMAO. Pathetic. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Beyond pathetic.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Certainly pathetic, but I don't find it particularly unusual among Federal employees.  They know only what's written down for them and don't think at all.  In fact, these are exactly the same type of Federal bureaucratic employees to whom those favoring ACA or Single Payer wish to hand over our health care.  Think about it......think real hard.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Exactly it's taken me over an hour to get through customs at JFK. One guy working and four standing around doing nothing. 

Kavika
Professor Principal

The four standing around weren't doing nothing Dean. They were profiling you.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

I have thought hard about it, ttga. In fact I've experienced single payer in Australia when I was working/living there, no problem at all.....I'm on Medicare in the states, which is a single payer system and have had no problem at all.

TTGA
Professor Silent

In fact I've experienced single payer in Australia when I was working/living there, no problem at all

So, how many illnesses did you have in Australia that were of a life threatening nature, particularly ones in which speed of treatment was of the essence (ie.  Cancer, Heart Disease)?  I would bet none, or you wouldn't be here now.  Check out what happens in those systems when people need quick treatment to save their lives.  You can find plenty of examples of those in the British system, and even at the VA in this country, of people who died while waiting for treatment.

I'm on Medicare in the states, which is a single payer system and have had no problem at all.

Medicare is most definitely NOT a single payer system.  Not only does it have private supplemental insurance attached to Part B but, if the recipients are not satisfied, they have the option of disposing of it and going private.  In a true single payer system, those two options would not be available since there would be nothing but government insurance allowed.  The correct single payer system in this country is the VA.  Check out how well THAT works.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Well since you seem to know everything about the Australia healthcare system, let me bring you up to date TTGA.

First off I didn't have any life threating illnesses when I was there. But that does bring me to two other points. My daughter, four grandkids and eleven great grand kids live there. And just for your information, there have been a number of very very serious life threating situations with them. They have all survived with excellent care.

Point number two. If you choose in Australia you can have a personal policy, for whatever reason you choose. None of my kids, grandkids nor ggrand kids have a personal policy. All are doing fine with the national health care. My suggestion to you is to actually experience the health care in Australia before trying to condemn it.

Next...Medicare, yes there is a supplement. Why would I choose to go private when Medicare is excellent.

As for the VA, I do know a little about it. My son is a totally disabled Marine vet. So you can bet your ass that I know about the VA. His care in Missouri is very good. Our local VA clinic in Branson does a great job. Anything that requires services that they don't offer, and there a plenty for him, he is referred to a private medical group or to the VA hospital in Arkansas. And doesn't have to wait in endless lines or for months on end.

That my friend is all first hand experience, something that you seem to be lacking in those three areas.

TTGA
Professor Silent

Kavika,

First you said this:

In fact I've experienced single payer in Australia when I was working/living there, no problem at all

And then you said this:

If you choose in Australia you can have a personal policy, for whatever reason you choose

Your second statement just contradicted your first and, by definition, made Australian health care NOT single payer.  The definition of single payer, as given in the bill offered by Congressman John Conyers of Michigan (an idiot studying to become a moron), is that private health insurance, except for elective, cosmetic surgery, is not allowed.  The government gets a monopoly.  Any study of basic economics will tell you that when anyone, government or private, gets a monopoly, quality goes down and price goes up.

Next...Medicare, yes there is a supplement. Why would I choose to go private when Medicare is excellent.

By going with the supplement you are "going private".  Medicare supplements are private health insurance from private companies.  Without the supplement, Medicare Parts A and B are crap insurance.  See Representative Conyers' bill to find out what will happen to Medicare supplements under single payer.  (By the way, the Conyers bill was posted by our friend Mac on a different article last week.  Interesting reading).

Our local VA clinic in Branson does a great job. Anything that requires services that they don't offer, and there a plenty for him, he is referred to a private medical group or to the VA hospital in Arkansas . And doesn't have to wait in endless lines or for months on end.

That's excellent.  I'm very glad that you have one of the good ones, with an administrator who is not corrupt.  As far as I'm concerned, your son deserves the absolute best that this country can do for him.  He's a man whose courage and honor I have come to admire very much.  Unfortunately, Branson is not the entire VA.  Here's an example of what much of the VA is really like

Phoenix is not alone.  Others are also being looked at (about 20 years, and a number of deaths too late). This is a very useful lesson in why you should never allow the government (any government) to get a monopoly on health care or any other vital service.  I believe it was Niccolo Machiavelli who said "put not your faith in Princes".  He knew what he was talking about.

I'm afraid that I have derailed an interesting article.  If you would like to continue in private or on an article devoted to health care insurance, I would be glad to do so, but we should let this one get back on track.

Kavika
Professor Principal

TTGA,

First you said this:

And then you said this:

If you choose in Australia you can have a personal policy, for whatever reason you choose

To clear it up for you...In Australia you are required to be part of the national health care system.  If you choose, in addition to being part of the National health care system, you can purchase a private insurance policy that allows you to see doctors that in a shorter period of time for certain procedures. For example, my son in law had sleep apnea. There was a 4 week waiting period for the procedure. If he had a additional private insurance he could have had the procedure done the same week. If the sleep apnea had been at a critical stage, under the national policy under the national program it would have been done as quickly as the private insurance.

My great grandson was born with a very serious condition. Life threatening. He had major surgery when he was 24 hours old. He, over the last 5 years has had to have additional surgeries. Each and every one has been done with the greatest of care while in the hospital and after his leaving the hospital.

Those are just a couple of instances of national health care in Australia. I also have a number of relatives that are Canadian citizens and they have no complaints about the National Health care in Canada. If I remember correctly, Canada, like Australia has the same situation as Australia, where you can purchase a private policy in addition to the National policy.

With Medicare you are not required to purchase the supplement. If you do not you are responsible for the 20% that is not paid by Medicare.

Whether you believe this is or isn't single payer is up to you.

As far as the VA goes, yes there are problems within the system. It's pointed out on a regular basis how bad Phoenix etc are, yet it's never pointed out how good many of the areas are. There are two another members of NT that use  large VA facility and has told me of the excellent care that they receives. The VA facilities are in two different states.

If you want a list of the private medical facilities that have had a huge number of screw ups resulting in deaths it's quite easy to research. Like the VA, private hospitals have the good and the bad. That is a fact.

You may also want to research ''medical tourism''. It's quite eye opening.

Many countries around the world have national health insurance. It's time that we look at the different models and adapt a plan that fits us. It high time that the so called experts from both parties understand that the US isn't perfect in health care approach, not even close. We can learn a hell of a lot from health coverage from other countries.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

If you read the Fake News today, you would think nothing like this every happened before 2017 or better yet, November 2016.  But it may not have.  Before then they were stripping little ladies, making soldiers remove their prosthetic limbs almost to the point of cutting open the chest to see if that was really a pacemaker inside.

It's no different with the Jewish bomb threats.  You would think there were never any Jewish bomb threats before Trump was elected.  Go ahead, show me some evidence there were.  Be my guest if you can.

And I've never seen where Dean has proclaimed Donald Trump his hero, just another twisted fake comment like pushing the idea Trump was talking about the terrorist attack the night before, when common sense taking the whole comment in context, it is evident he was talking about the video he saw the night before.

Too many people have already caught on to your game and maybe you don't hear or see them, but when over 900 legislature positions have been lost by the Democratic Party over the last 8 years, it is evident they are speaking very loudly.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

If you read the Fake News today, you would think nothing like this every happened before 2017 or better yet, November 2016.  But it may not have.  Before then they were stripping little ladies, making soldiers remove their prosthetic limbs almost to the point of cutting open the chest to see if that was really a pacemaker inside.

It's no different with the Jewish bomb threats.  You would think there were never any Jewish bomb threats before Trump was elected.  Go ahead, show me some evidence there were.  Be my guest if you can.

There's more than one issue here....

First: TSA stupidity& general mismanagement. That's nothing new.

But there's something else at play, the general level of hatred and bigotry has skyrocketed since trump came into prominence (as a political figure). david Duke's enthusiastic supppport of the Trump candidacy sent a cear message.

Hate crimes and attacks on minorities have increased rapidly. Not surprisingly the biggest increase has been re: Muslims. And sure there have been attacks and threats against jews-- but not of this magnitude.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Like the wacko that shot two Indian Americans in Kansas...Thought that they were from the ME.

He killed one and seriously injured the other. And just to top it off he shot an American that tried to help the two that were shot.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

''And I've never seen where Dean has proclaimed Donald Trump his hero, just another twisted fake comment''...This coming from the king of conspiracy theories, fake news and useless comments. (Actually I like Dean, he makes a lot of witty comments). On the other hand, you Six, rarely get your foot out of your mouth.

''Too many people have already caught on to your game and maybe you don't hear or see them''.

Whatever game it is Six, it's far to advanced for you to participate in. You should stick to something really simple, like a coloring book.

Actually Six your beginning to act a lot like the south end of a north bound horse.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

If anyone wants to know what the south end of a northbound horse looks like you'd be the one to know for sure.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

For sure Six, we see you on NT most everyday representing the southbound end of the horse.

Case closed.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

That's right,  I'm your representative. 

Case closed.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

This was all over the news here in Louisville today.  No one understands why he was detained and questioned and are pretty outraged about it...

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

'' No one understands why he was detained and questioned and are pretty outraged about it...''

As they should be, Dowser.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Absolutely!  The guy was born in Philadelphia, for Pete's Sake.  I guess we are all going to carry our birth certificate with us when we fly...