╌>

Trump Derangement Syndrome emerges as a public health issue

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xxjefferson51  •  7 years ago  •  24 comments

Trump Derangement Syndrome emerges as a public health issue
Mental health professionals are starting to open up in public about the mental health issues among liberals experiencing Trump Derangement Syndrome. The Los Angeles Times, an anti-Trump paper, published an unintentionally revealing article (hat tip: Instapundit) on the extent and severity of TDS among the affluent liberals on L.A.'s Westside:

In her 35 years as a therapist, Arlene Drake has never heard so many clients talking about the same issue. Week after week, they complain of panic attacks and insomnia because of President Trump. They're too anxious to concentrate at work. One woman's fear turned into intense, physical pain.

"It's just a nightmare," said Drake, who practices in West L.A. ...

Therapists nationwide say they've been overwhelmed by the strong feelings triggered by one of the most divisive figures in modern political history.

I do not remember a similar outbreak of mental health problems among conservatives upon the election of Barack Obama, who promised a "fundamental transformation" of America. This suggests that liberals are less emotionally stable than conservatives and supports the long expressed thesis of Michael Savage that "liberalism is a mental disorder."

The LAT article reveals a startling fact that supports the contention that TDS is a public health issue:

Some patients who support Trump say they feel isolated because they can't share who they voted for in their workplace or home for fear of being harassed or called xenophobic or misogynistic. ...

Opening up about voting for Trump has already stoked conflict with family and friends. One therapist mediated a case in which an adult son threatened to cut off his relationship with his parents because they voted for Trump.

In other words, TDS sufferers are inflicting their anger on others. They are thus a public health hazard. But of course, the LAT cannot openly make such a statement and instead seeks to portray the issue as equally affecting Trump supporters (emphasis added):

It's almost become irrational in terms of the anger people feel toward each other and the boxes they put each other in," he [therapist Allen Wagner] said. "I feel for the people on both sides.

Ahem, the anger and aggression are one-sided, coming from the TDS sufferers.

I think that it is now time to form a nonprofit foundation devoted to alleviating the suffering of TDS patients, for they affect not only themselves and their families, but also the general public, whom they attack on suspicion of insufficient hostility toward the elected president of the United States. They are a hazard to the rest of us. Public service commercials should be broadcast on television and radio stations urging sufferers of TDS to get help. As a first step, complete disengagement from politics seems a reasonable therapy.

Worst of all, mental health professionals are beginning to corrupt their profession owing to shared feelings with the TDS crowd:

Drake was trained not to reveal her personal beliefs, but now will agree with clients if they say they don't support Trump.

"If this were just another session, if this weren't such a big thing, if this weren't so evil, I wouldn't," she said. "But I have to stand for what I stand for and that does cross over into politics." ...

Over the summer, William Doherty, a professor at the University of Minnesota and a therapist in St. Paul, published a manifesto online declaring Trump a unique threat to America's mental health. More than 3,800 therapists signed it. ...

He formed a group last month called Citizen Therapists for Democracy to consider issues raised by Trump's presidency. Therapists aren't accustomed to advising patients on how to handle this kind of "public stress," since psychotherapy has traditionally been limited to private lives and psychology, he said. ...

Mental health professionals have also debated whether to diagnose Trump himself. Though some have publicly done so, an ethical standard known as the Goldwater Rule prevents psychiatrists from diagnosing public figures without personally evaluating them.
Drake was trained not to reveal her personal beliefs, but now will agree with clients if they say they don't support Trump.

"If this were just another session, if this weren't such a big thing, if this weren't so evil, I wouldn't," she said. "But I have to stand for what I stand for and that does cross over into politics." ...

Over the summer, William Doherty, a professor at the University of Minnesota and a therapist in St. Paul, published a manifesto online declaring Trump a unique threat to America's mental health. More than 3,800 therapists signed it. ...

He formed a group last month called Citizen Therapists for Democracy to consider issues raised by Trump's presidency. Therapists aren't accustomed to advising patients on how to handle this kind of "public stress," since psychotherapy has traditionally been limited to private lives and psychology, he said. ...

Mental health professionals have also debated whether to diagnose Trump himself. Though some have publicly done so, an ethical standard known as the Goldwater Rule prevents psychiatrists from diagnosing public figures without personally evaluating them.

In 1964, more than 1,000 psychiatrists said in a magazine survey that then-presidential GOP nominee Barry Goldwater was psychologically unfit to be president. It was an ethical misstep that might have eroded confidence in psychiatry, wrote Maria A. Oquendo, the head of the American Psychiatric Assn., in a statement last year reminding members to abide by the rule.

There are so many absurd fantasies about Trump that are widespread among liberals – that he is anti-Semitic (with a beloved daughter who is Jewish!), that he is Putin's puppet (yeah, right – that's why he is encouraging fracking that would devastate Russia's heavy reliance on oil prices being high), and that he is somehow authoritarian (by wanting to reduce the power of the unelected bureaucrats to makes laws).

It is time for the wider community to counsel TDS sufferers that they are ill but that they can receive help. Counseling, disengagement from politics and, if all else fails, medication.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/02/trump_derangement_syndrome_emerges_as_a_public_health_issue.html#ixzz4ZilcrcD9
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Trump Derangement Syndrome is a severe 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

problem for America.  It like Liberalism is a mental disorder, per Dr.Savage.  The damage to relationships and even the economy in America caused by TDS is of great concern.  

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott    7 years ago

I'll see that and raise you one

GOP Congressman Warns of Mexican Marijuana Nukes

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Steve Ott   7 years ago

Trent Franks is a loon. In the same "class" as Gohmert or King. They are truly deranged.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

So derangement exists on both sides. This article is just another example of the pot calling the kettle black. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Steve Ott   7 years ago

Ah ha, you played your ''Trump'' card right off the bat...LOL good job Steve.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

"There are so many absurd fantasies about Trump that are widespread among liberals – that he is anti-Semitic (with a beloved daughter who is Jewish!), that he is Putin's puppet (yeah, right – that's why he is encouraging fracking that would devastate Russia's heavy reliance on oil prices being high), and that he is somehow authoritarian (by wanting to reduce the power of the unelected bureaucrats to makes laws).

It is time for the wider community to counsel TDS sufferers that they are ill but that they can receive help. Counseling, disengagement from politics and, if all else fails, medication."

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

There is derangement on both sides. Pointing out the actions of the left side of the street does not negate the same actions from the right side of the street. This type of thing only proves that both side are infantile and capable only of schoolground finger pointing.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

I went to youtube to find a compilation of Trump's most deranged moments, but there were too many to choose from.  I'm not kidding.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy    7 years ago

Overwhelming Hypocrisy is one of the main symptoms. witness the new chief of the dnc claiming yesterday that the party's mission is to make trump a one term president, just thirty days into his presidency.  The irony. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

Wasn't it just horrible when someone said that about another president about eight years ago?  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  XXJefferson51   7 years ago

They don't remember. In 2010, it was the worst thing ever done in the history of the world and marked every Republican as racists. But like four year olds, they forget what they said the day before and claim the exact opposite today because it suits their needs right at the moment. 

Should a Republican say the exact same thing about the next Democrat President, they will wail and scream to the media denouncing such statements as treason, unprecedented  etc..etc.

The really funny part is that they use a statement McConnell made almost two years into Obama's Presidency to justify Obama's manifest  failure as President. Under their logic, Perez's statement means Trump is blame free going forward. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sean Treacy   7 years ago

I highly doubt Trump will make it through an entire term.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
link   96WS6  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

Some folks said that about BO too.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  96WS6   7 years ago

I don't remember hearing that. I do remember Mitch declaring the gop would make him a one term president, a short time after he was elected.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

Mcconnelll talks One month before the midterm and McConnell was denounced by democrats  as a traitor, racist etc...

The head of the dnc says it 30 days into trumps term and democrats cheer. 

Whaf a joke democrats are.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Attention shoppers,

Please stay off aisle 0 until all the 

fish-holes-2.png

Have been cleared.