╌>

French Army Trains Eagles to Fight Drone Terrorism

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  8 comments

French Army Trains Eagles to Fight Drone Terrorism

Article Photo

A royal eagle catches a drone during military exercise at the Mont-de-Marsan airbase, France, on February 10, 2017. Photograph by Georges Gobet—AFP/Getty Images

Faced with the specter of a terrorist threat from  rogue drones , the French are recruiting an avian ally. At a base in the southwest of the country, a special army unit has for months been training four golden eagles to spot drones and perform mid-air takedowns.

Details of the program emerged last week when French media outlets reported on an experimental program that involves soldiers raising the eagles from chicks, and training them to associate the drones with food.

As  Le Parisien  explains, the soldiers began by serving meat to the young eagles on the ground using drones as dinner plates. When the eagles grew a bit older, the trainers then presented them with drones hovering in the air—to predictable results. The eagles swooped in and seized the drones in talons that can exert pressure of 500 pounds per square inch. (This  YouTube video  shows them in action).

Once the eagles catch their mechanical prey, they fly to earth and cover them with their wings, and are promptly rewarded with a piece of meat.

(LINK)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

The birds are natural drone fighters with the ability to spot targets over a mile away, and to reach speeds over 150 mph when diving for prey. The four eagles at the French base, which is located near the town of Mont-de-Marsan, are named after famous musketeers: D'Artagnan, Aramis, Athos, and Porthos.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

That looks like a toy this is a drone. 

usdronestrikespakistan.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

I think that those are usually referred to as UAVs  ("Unmanned Armed Vehicles") and are formidable weapons indeed. And those are also referred to as "drones".

But now I believe that more and more the word "drone" is used to refer to the small ones (that you can buy) and are really small toys. Originally pretty harmless-- but I think ISIS has figured out a way to use those small ones (the toys) as a weapon. 

I'm not sure which type they use here:

Battle For Mosul: ISIS Drone Obliterates Iraqi Army Tank

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Armored up drone fighter.

a5faf801a2cecca3bf17ff8fe4e399fb.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Small Drones used for Amazon deliveries: Amazon Prime Air

"Toy" drones for sale on Amazon

(I've also seen the really small ones for sale in toy depts. of stores)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson  replied to  Dean Moriarty   7 years ago

I don't think ISIS has any of those, could be wrong...

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

Maybe they should try Siberian Tigers?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

That makes me think of the story about the Mossad training sharks to attack, or to use pigeons as spies.