╌>

Local ABC Chicago Sportscaster Suspended For Anti-Trump Tweet

Category:  Sports

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  14 comments

Local ABC Chicago Sportscaster Suspended For Anti-Trump Tweet

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-mark-giangreco-suspended-trump-spt-0224-20170223-story.html

AB C -7 sportscaster Mark Giangreco, who in a tweet Sunday referred to President  Donald Trump  as a "cartoon lunatic" and America as "a country full of simpletons," has been suspended.

3D9EBFCB00000578-4257260-image-a-60_1487955439582.jpg

"Sports anchor Mark Giangreco's Twitter comments are not in line with ABC 7 Chicago's non-partisan editorial standards," the Disney-owned station's management said Thursday in a statement. "We've reviewed the matter and are taking the appropriate action."

Efforts to reach Giangreco for comment through his agent Thursday were unsuccessful.

Channel 7's spokeswoman declined to discuss the action beyond issuing management's statement, but it appears the suspension will not begin until Monday. Blogger Robert Feder first reported the news of Giangreco's multiweek suspension without pay.

Giangreco's remark about Trump and Americans came after Toronto Star sports columnist Bruce Arthur tweeted: "Donald Trump: a hateful ignorant corrupt simpleton supported by 87 (percent) of Republicans".

Giangreco's response (as posted) said: "@brucearthur so obvious, so disturbing .America exposed as a country full of simpletons who allowed this cartoon lunatic to be 'elected'."

Giangreco's tweet, which additionally could be read as casting aspersions on Trump's legitimacy through the quote-marks around "elected," was deleted. But a screen shot was included in a ChicagoCityWire.com report, a site the Springfield State Journal last year connected to WIND-AM 560 talk-show host Dan Proft, a 2010 Republican candidate for governor.

Another deleted tweet apparently from Giangreco that ChicagoCityWire.com included in its report followed a suggestion from former Major League Baseball pitcher Curt Schilling that CNN should be called "LPNN," the "LP" standing for "liberal propaganda."

"(T)hen let's change  Fox  News to Nazi News," Giangreco responded.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

What about his freedom of speech?  He is a sportscaster who shows highlights of Cubs and Bears games and jokes around with the hot weather woman. 

He is not a news reporter and should have the right to call a lunatic a lunatic. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

Another fool who screwed himself with twitter. So sad...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

So let me get this straight... when conservatives are fired, it's liberal fascism. But when conservatives do it, it's another fool who screwed himself? You don't see a double standard there?

Special note to John.... see I am agreeing with you and I am commenting on your article. Something you say that I never do. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Thank you Perrie. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

You seem to be replying to something I never said. Are you painting all conservatives with a broad brush?

I'm entirely consistent in my denigration of people saying things on twitter and getting fired. How many examples do we need before these idiots (right or left) stop using that medium without a filter. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

You seem to be replying to something I never said. Are you painting all conservatives with a broad brush?

I am responding to something you did say:

and I quote:

Another example of the failure of liberal ideology. Progressives are the new fascists.

I wasn't responding to all conservatives... just your comment that I remembered you saying. 

I'm entirely consistent in my denigration of people saying things on twitter and getting fired. How many examples do we need before these idiots (right or left) stop using that medium without a filter. 

OK, please show me an example.

BTW I happen to agree that people both right and left should start using a filter. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

I don't save my posts. You are free to believe what you want, but these kind of events are why I don't have a twitter account.

Notw that I never said he deserved to be fired, but he did violate his employee rules.