╌>

The Sun Rises on Myanmar (Burma)

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  neetu2  •  7 years ago  •  31 comments

The Sun Rises on Myanmar (Burma)

I just returned from a brief but exhilarating trip to Burma and have put together a short video of images to share with you all. It is a rush production so pardon me for its rawness! Once I have all the images uploaded on my computer, I will do a better and more refined job of it. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2    7 years ago

Okay, so it may take a few more minutes to load.

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   Nona62    7 years ago

WOW!!   Great job Neetu!   How fortunate for you to be able to see these beautiful sights. Thank you for sharing your trip!!!  :-)

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  Nona62   7 years ago

Thanks, dear Nona. Yes, I am very fortunate. I have come to realize that I am my best self when I am with people in various parts of the world. I feel the wonder of a child discovering new things, places and people. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Wonderful production! And you get a great feel for the country. It looks like you had an amazing trip. Would you recommend going there?

I recently saw the movie "Lion" and thought of you and how you described India to me. That movie seemed like it spoke your words. 

Anyway, glad to have you back!

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Thanks, Perrie. Indeed I did! I would highly, highly recommend a visit. Not only is it rich in history but it has a very unique charm of its own. People are honest, streets are very safe (at least in the main cities) and I really loved the experience and wished so much I had more time. 

I haven't seen "Lion" yet but plan to do so next week. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Very nice,  Neetu.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Thank you, John. :)

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    7 years ago

Beautiful work Neetu.  I've seen some of those sunsets (and sunrises) across rivers, both in the Far East and elsewhere.  You have captured the essence of the beauty of the river scenes perfectly.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Thank you much, Ttga. I tried. I am slow and not a good photographer. Never get the settings right but I try. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Neetu2   7 years ago

Once had some really nice shots of the river near Samut Prakan, south of Bangkok, not as nice as these, but pretty good.  Unfortunately, they were in my basement when it flooded some years back, and I lost them plus all the shots I had of the Mekong.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

What a shame! You know, there are places we may never get to twice and that's when you feel that sinking in your heart when you lose precious photos. I am sorry, Ttga. But I am glad you got to capture memories that you will always treasure. :)

Neetu2
Freshman Silent

IMG_1704.JPG

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary    7 years ago

Very nice production, very nice pictures, nice how you captured the people, especially the kids.  Glad oyu were able to make this trip.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Thanks so much, Spikegary. I just loved meeting those children! The absence of a common language did nothing to prevent my interaction with them. They were beautiful. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Neetu2   7 years ago

I've had the good luck to travel a lot of Europe a few times and the orient (a couple countries while I lived in Japan) and a smile and a friendly gesture or two opens all kinds of doors.  I've seen the 'Ugly American' and trying to fit in instead of standing out goes a long way.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent

I agree, Spikegary. When we go to another country, we need to go with a sense of humility, not arrogance. That way, we always find more hospitality and warmth.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent

Please view the video in full screen mode. :)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Just getting to this … and it's so good I'm sorry it took me so long! The images are beautiful … perfect compositions and exposures, captivating subjects and wonderful editing to video.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Better late than never, Mac. I am glad you came by. Thank you.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Beautiful photos Neetu.

A beautiful country. I've been on the border of Thailand (northern) and Burma. That was when it was still a closed country.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Then you know just what I am trying to say, Kavika! Thank you. Yes, now that Burma is no longer closed, it offers fascinating discovery to those who travel there. :) I loved the little I saw and hope to go back to learn more about it.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent

I hope some more of you get a chance to see this video before it scrolls into oblivion. Happy Sunday night! 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Neetu2   7 years ago

I just watched that video which worked so well for me - flowed smoothly. Wonderful, scenes that are very much like what I have seen here in China. I live in Chongqing, which you will see on the map below, so I am most likely much closer to Myanmar than anyone else on NT. 

map_myanmar_.jpg

Chongqing, during WWII was known as Chunking, the base of operations for the American Flying Tigers. The Flying Tigers (which also used Chinese pilots - one of whom I met and spoke to when I toured the museum that was the American General Stillwell's home and office) used to fly "over the hump" (the mountains) to deliver supplies to what was then known as Burma. Many did not make it.  Below is a photo of me with the Flying Tiger pilot - behind him is a poster that shows him in uniform during the war, along with his family.

Flying Tiger.jpg

Perhaps one day my wife and I will travel to Myanmar, although there is still so much more to see in China than I have been able to accomplish so far.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz, I am so glad you stopped by to see this. Yes, you are the nearest to Myanmar, as far as I know too. Truly, a country worth visiting. I know you are so familiar with China but Myanmar is different. I would highly recommend it.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Oh, that photo is great, Buzz!!! Thank you for sharing it. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

Beautiful! Simply gorgeous! applause

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Thank you, Randy!:)

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    7 years ago

Wonderful Neetu!  Thanks for the video and the beautiful music.  Perfect!  It reminds me of Taiwan when I was there many years ago.  The Buddhist temples have some of the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen.  Thank you for sharing all your trips with us!!!

Thanks Buzz for the photos and information as well.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neetu2  replied to  sixpick   7 years ago

Thank you, Six. :) The Shwedagon Pagoda which I have shown here is the most revered pagoda in Burma. It is huge and what struck me was that it is visited by people of all ages. We were there on a weekday (schools are closed for summer break from February to April, I believe) and there were so many young teenagers just hanging out there. It was calm, peaceful yet filled with energy.