╌>

Ohio Carjacking Duo Stymied by Stick Shift: Police

Category:  Scattershooting,Ramblings & Life

Via:  pj  •  7 years ago  •  10 comments

by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CLEVELAND — Cleveland police say an 18-year-old serial carjacker was arrested after his accomplice couldn't drive a stick shift — even with some coaching from the victim.

Damari Wayne was charged with robbery. Police say he committed three armed carjackings between Feb. 11 and Feb. 21, Cleveland.com reports.

Police say Wayne and a 17-year-old boy attempted to steal a 23-year-old man's car on Feb. 21. The younger teen got in the driver's seat but was unable to operate the vehicle. That's when police say the duo turned the gun on their victim while he tried to explain how to use the gears.

The duo eventually got frustrated and ran off with the man's cellphone, which police used to pinpoint their location.

A message seeking comment was left Thursday for his attorney

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weird-news/ohio-carjacking-duo-stymied-stick-shift-police-n728581

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ    7 years ago

I ran across this and it made me laugh.  Do they even sell cars with stick shifts anymore?!!  This may be the new anti car jacking deterrent.  

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Do they even sell cars with stick shifts anymore?!!

Several years ago we bought a Mercedes SLK 280. There was one on the lot that had a 6 speed manual, but I couldn't talk my wife into because she didn't want to do all that shifting on city streets in LA. Some high performance cars (Porsche?) still come as manuals, but they're hard to find. People are just too lazy to shift gears anymore. Personally I think automatics take a lot of the fun out of diving.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Most of the cars here are stick shift, save for most of the higher priced ones (except that most sports cars appear to be manual). Now and then I've seen mid-range cars with automatic. Although I learned to drive on a driver school Studebaker with manual stick mounted on the steering column, and my first car was a 1950 Ford coach with a similar arrangement. After that, every car I owned had automatic shift.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

The last car I owned with a manual was an 86 Porsche 924S. That was a really fun car to drive especially since we lived up in Fountain Hills above Scottsdale and there were lots of curves. We got a 92 Corvette after that, but it had an automatic. It was a fun car to drive too, but not nearly as much fun, especially in the rain. The Porsche handled the rain great on the curves, but the 'vette always felt like it was going to spin out. Terrifying to drive in the hills on wet roads. Had to go really slow. Even then it was scary.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

The best handling really old car I ever drove was my father's 1952 Hudson Hornet, although it was automatic. It didn't need power steering, it was so easy.  However, the best handling car I ever drove was a Saab 9.3 (around 1995 model). I think they forgot they were building airplanes, because it felt like I was flying when I drove it, over a country highway with lots of hills and curves.

Are we off topic?  I think we've been conversing a lot about automatic vs manual shift, which is the topic here.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

The perfect pair, dumb and dummer.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Yep - the icing on the cake was the police using the phone they stole to locate them.  hahahahaha

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

These two are a complete disgrace to their profession.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

I learned how to drive on a 1956 Willys Jeep when I was 13 on the back-roads of the rural area where I lived. That clutch was HARD to push down, but my older sister's boyfriend, Rocky" was very patient and it worked out fine. My first car a 65' mustang had a three speed manual then in the Air Force I bought a Pinto with a 4 speed manual. My "Drivers Education" class car in high school was a 1972 Cougar that had an automatic and felt odd. It's whatever you get used to.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

I don't miss Ohio one bit.