[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Flight of Ideas.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I'm certainly ready for Spring!!!  It's time.  Just a little better weather, not so cold and icky.  A little green.  A little pretty.  We do spring very well, here.

Great picture!!!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I can use a bit more winter......I've only had 3 rides this year (around 200 miles worth).  SO, kinds looking forward to this big storm coming in tomorrow.

Cool Pic, A. Mac!

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I can use a bit more winter......I've only had 3 rides this year (around 200 miles worth).  SO, kinds looking forward to this big storm coming in tomorrow.

I think you're about to get a bit more Gary (maybe a little more than a bit).  You may end up doing a lot more shoveling than riding, unless you can use the track to squash the snow down on the sidewalk. So far, we only have a couple of inches, enough so that the school buses can't get in to the unpaved roads very well.  School closed today, maybe tomorrow, but we're just on the fringes and have already had our ration of high winds for the month.  Once the weather front manages to squeeze through the Appalachian Range, and the Niagara and St. Lawrence river valleys make a pretty good doorway, you folks are supposed to get a couple of feet.

That butterfly looks so much like July and I'm so ready for it.   

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

I have a plow on my quad.....same size as the sidewalks.  I plow my driveway, the neighbors and my sidewalks........I mean you shouldn't have to do it if you can't have fun with it, right?

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I mean you shouldn't have to do it if you can't have fun with it, right?

Definitely.  Until I con my grandsons (the girls know better) into thinking that shoveling is fun, I and all three of my neighbors have snowblowers.  When we all get out there at the same time, the whole block looks like a blizzard is happening and all of the snow ends up in the street.  That's great for about four hours, until the county snowplow finally gets there.  Then we all end up with the ends of our driveways under about three feet of packed snow.  In thirty years, I've never yet seen them come through BEFORE we're done clearing the driveways. That's when Frank goes to his place just outside of town and brings back the Massey Ferguson with the blade on the front.

PS:  I'm still working on making all the kids think that pushing a lawn mower is fun.  No luck so far.  The little squirts got smart very quickly.  I had their dad believing that for 15 years.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

LOL, TTGA!!!  It's never worked for me...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Don't try to convince them that it's fun - do it on the basis of telling them those are body-building tasks that make them look strong so they will attract a lot of girls. Also, it's more productive than lifting weights.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Have fun, Spike!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Last Thursday it was 78 degrees. Friday it was mid 60's and Saturday it snowed 2 inches and by Sunday morning it was all melted...

The first snow of the winter...

Love butterflys. Great photo Mac.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

Beautiful picture Mac!

99 degrees here in the valley here today with a bright blue sky. Supposed to be in the 90's all week, cooling off to 91 by next Sunday.  Maybe a few clouds later in the week. Still, a few more weeks like this and my pool water will be warm enough to use. Little early in the year to be this warm, so it's probably just a false spring anyway. Don't worry, when it's beautiful up North and 120 down here and too hot to go out you can post weather reports to me. Happy

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

And we will too.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

LOL!

The nice part is that all of the snowbirds will be gone and there will be no traffic! I love that part! The electric bill for the A/C.... not so much.....

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    7 years ago

We are hovering just above zero the last few days, and for the next few days we will be getting well over freezing,,,so I am quite happy! We only have a few inches of snow left on the ground, and at least for the foreseeable future, if things keep going this direction, we may be into Spring here in northern Minnesota very soon!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

The spring was always my favorite part of year when I was stationed up in Grand Forks. That first day when you got to walk around with your parka unzipped and then got to put it away and switch to a lighter jacket, being able to drive without driving on solid ice (ND didn't salt their roads)...wonderful!

TTGA
Professor Silent

That first day when you got to walk around with your parka unzipped and then got to put it away and switch to a lighter jacket, being able to drive without driving on solid ice

And then, in the evening, you got to go to the 4th of July fireworks.  North Dakota even makes Michigan feel like the Tropics.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

There was always about 6 or 8 weeks from July thru August where it you actually had some hot days there. Of course the wind never stopped, but I saw it hit 100 degrees up there a few times. Even got sunburned when I...ahem..."fell asleep"....in a lawn chair one afternoon in a t-shirt and cut-offs. My girlfriend was supposed to wake me up! She said she tried, but I don't remember that!

TTGA
Professor Silent

Of course the wind never stopped,

Back during the Depression, one of the WPA projects was to collect and transcribe as many as possible of the diaries of the pioneers.  Many of the transcriptions have now been placed on the website of the Smithsonian and I've had a chance to go through some of them.  The early farmers who brought their families out to the Great Plains from Kansas all the way to the Canadian border all talked about the constant wind.  Some of them, and particularly their wives, were actually driven insane by it.  Kinda like the effects of the Chinese water torture, it's a small irritant but it never stops.

My girlfriend was supposed to wake me up! She said she tried, but I don't remember that!

Not surprised.  I'll bet that you also slept through the testimonial dinner that the local hops  farmers gave for you.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

''Back during the Depression''  I didn't know you were that old Ttga.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

It can be like that, but for me it sort of became something that I got used to always being there. Like background noise. In fact during blizzards the howling wind was very loud and impressive and one storm (Jan 1975 I believe) piled a snow drift up above the 2nd floor windows of our barracks. In the parking lot it was smooth with a few drifts. But you could not tell that a single car was under there, not a single outline of a roof or antenna or anything, even though the lot was mostly full. Dewy Berquist on the TV (a really, really strange weather man) said it was the worst storm in more then 40 years.

What was really jarring was some days, very rare, when there was no wind at all. That gave me a weird feeling. The silence was defining.

TTGA
Professor Silent

What was really jarring was some days, very rare, when there was no wind at all. That gave me a weird feeling. The silence was defining.

I've had that happen.  When you're on a ship at sea for a couple of months, you get so that the constant noise (engines, rudder motors, ventilation system, etc) becomes a normal background.  Also, dealing with the constant movement becomes automatic (called getting your sea legs).  Then....you finally go into port and all of that stops.  I was never able to sleep the first night in port.  It's like the silence and non moving bunk were causing something normal to be missing.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Not surprised.  I'll bet that you also slept through the testimonial dinner that the local hops  farmers gave for you.

Too much Grain Belt Beer. Laugh   It was terrible beer, but cheap. I wonder if they still make it?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Randy   7 years ago

OMG, Grain Belt beer. I heard that was like drinking dog piss.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

It was pretty bad, but if it was really, really cold, like ice cold, it was drinkable. And on the pay of an Airman First Class who liked to drink A LOT of beer, it was cheap at the Commissary on base. PBR was the luxury beer for me then.

TTGA
Professor Silent

PBR was the luxury beer for me then.

Drewreys, made in Detroit.  Actually wasn't too bad as beer goes.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur  replied to  TTGA   7 years ago

Back in college days, we used to get Iron City Beer, 3 quarts for one dollar!

Singing on Philly street corners when the "Battle of the Groups" (acapella) was big, Thunderbird Wine" was the beverage of choice.

It was advertised as ... "Thunderbird, what''s the price, 33 thrice."

Yup ... 99 cents a bottle.

Must have been effective because quite a few groups made it big in the R&B world.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

Ahhhh, when it came to wine we always bought Mogan David because it was cheap and strong. It's nickname was MD 20 20 for Mad Dog 20 20 which I believe referred to the level of alcohol in it.

Oh and you were required to drink it out of the bottle and pass it on like a joint. In fact sometimes you were passing both!

And most of us worked with computers for ICBMs! LOL!!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

My friends and I weren't beer drinkers back in college days. Our choice then was Mateus Rose Wine, the cheapest wine we could buy. Back in those days I had no idea what a joint was, other than a lousy place to be or something holding two things together.

Mateus.jpg

TTGA
Professor Silent

I have heard that Olympia makes even that stuff taste good.

Regarding beer in general, I have long maintained that it should be poured back into the horse they got it out of; which may be doing a disservice to a noble animal.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Back in the day in California it was Brew 101, MD 20 20, Tokay, and the wine experts chose Mateus.

I, of course, never partook in any of those evil, Satan inspired drinks myself. This is all information from reading about it.