╌>

Kellyanne Conway Just Made An Abortion Revelation That Will Shock Conservatives

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jwc2blue  •  7 years ago  •  19 comments

Kellyanne Conway Just Made An Abortion Revelation That Will Shock Conservatives

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/03/20/kellyanne-conway-just-made-abortion-revelation-will-shock-conservatives/

Presidential counselor Kellyanne Conway, who declared she was pro-life  while campaigning for Donald Trump,  revealed in an article published today that as a teenager, she helped a friend get an abortion — and even helped to pay for it.

She told  New York Magazine  that even now she is “sympathetic” to any woman who gets an abortion, adding: “Do I know anybody who ever got an abortion?…Well, of course I do. I’ve driven them there. I’ve helped pay.”

At a rally in Washington, D.C. the week after Trump’s inauguration, Conway told an anti-abortion rally in no uncertain terms that, “I am pro-life.”

That reflects the position Trump has also taken in recent years, although earlier in his career  he appeared to support the right of women to get abortions  if they wished.

In the New York magazine article, Conway was asked if she associates feminism with a hatred of men. She said she has her own brand of “conservative feminism,” which she described as “softer” and “less anti-male” and “less pro-abortion” than the feminism of women who marched in rallies after the Trump inaugural. “I don’t object to other people marching at all,” she said of the women’s marches, “you know, my friends were there.”

Conway also said in the article that she wouldn’t support repeal of “Roe v Wade,” the Supreme Court ruling that made it legal to get abortions. She said she is against abortion as it has been defined by some feminists and Democrats, doesn’t want abortion to be available to “anyone, anytime, anywhere,” and wants people to be “culturally” more sensitive to the “value of life.”

In other words, Conway is a hypocrite who in front of pro-life groups is pro-life, but in her own real life hedges on when and whether abortion is acceptable. Her position would be anathema to many evangelical groups and Republican politicians – including Vice President Mike Pence – who do not condone abortion under any circumstances.

As for helping pay for a friend’s abortion, she waves it off as just something she did then, not something she believes now. “You know,” she said in the article, “when you’re young, you’re thinking about the person, not the issue. We were younger, and I was focused on her, not on the larger public policy.”

So to Conway, the issue is fungible, depending on your age, whether it is happening to a friend, and whether you now work for a President whose positions change to accommodate his politics. That is the definition of hypocrisy.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    7 years ago

We were younger, and I was focused on her, not on the larger public policy.”

Focused on her choice!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

She's going to hell for sure now.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Oh man, this administration gets more bizarre by the minute.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

All snark aside, I don't know what to make of this.

One take-away is that Trump doesn't care all that much about the abortion topic.

Another take-away is that Conway brings more to the administration than her pro-life stance detracts. (Exactly "what she brings" is a whole other can of worms.)

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

I don't find that shocking at all.....

I am pro life, but, also, pro choice.  My choice would not be an abortion, however, there are circumstances that preclude my telling another woman that she must give birth. 

Conway was honest on this occasion. 

One would have to search forever to find any successful businessman/woman who the workers did not feel they were used to build this person's fortune.  And, actually, it is the truth.  Their skills were used and they were paid. Holding up a contractor's last payment is not unusual if there are questions on the quality of work or extending the deadline for finished product.   

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago

If you are a black & white ideologue, a nuanced position is merely a threat to your orthodoxy. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

The comments are technically not "off-topic," albeit they are not substantive with regard to the discussion.

I will defer to other moderators if any can cite a particular CoC violation.