╌>

US firefighter saves lifeless dog with mouth-to-mouth

Category:  Pets & Animals

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  5 comments

US firefighter saves lifeless dog with mouth-to-mouth

A US firefighter has been praised for giving a dog 20 minutes of "mouth-to-snout" resuscitation after the animal was rescued from a house fire.

The dog was overcome by the heat and smoke of the blaze in Santa Monica, California, and was unresponsive.

But firefighter Andrew Klein managed to bring 10-year-old Nalu, a Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu, "back from the dead".

Mr Klein discovered Nalu unconscious in a back bedroom after crawling on all fours into the blazing apartment

"He was totally lifeless," the firefighter told the Associated Press news agency. "I picked him up and ran out of the apartment because time is key, especially with a small dog... Failure was not an option.''

nalu.jpg

Firefighter performed resuscitation for 20 minutes to save the dog

As the dog's distraught owner Crystal Lamirande knelt crying nearby, Mr Klein and his crew spent the next 20 minutes giving the dog oxygen and performing "mouth-to-snout" resuscitation.

"After 20 minutes, the dog began breathing on its own and regained consciousness, even regaining the ability to walk around," the Santa Monica Fire Department said in a press release.

Nalu has now fully recovered after spending 24 hours in an oxygen tent.

nalu1.jpg

Nalu was also given oxygen and is now fully recovered

Ms Lamirande, a radiology nurse, said she was overwhelmed by the effort made by Mr Klein and his team to save her dog.

"His eyes were glazed over and he was not breathing and I assumed he was dead," she said. "But the firefighter said 'I'm a positive person. Let's just get him back'."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39377402

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

Something everyone can applaud! Big hugs

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Nalu has better health care than some humans.   

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Ain't that the truth!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Kudos to Firefighter Klein...First for going into a burning building. Second for all the effort to save the dog.

A hell of a lot of kudos to Klein.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I agree. Rescue workers are pet owners too, plus they know how much a pet means to someone who is in the process of losing just about everything else in their life. By saving her dog they helped her day have a least somewhat of a silver lining and that's heroic.