╌>

Naked demonstrators kill sheep under Auschwitz gates

Category:  World News

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  7 comments

Naked demonstrators kill sheep under Auschwitz gates

auschwit.jpg

Police in Poland have detained at least 11 people after a naked demonstration at the Auschwitz museum, on the site of the former Nazi death camp.

The museum said "a group of people killed a sheep, undressed and chained themselves together".

The incident took place beneath the main gate, which bears the infamous slogan "Arbeit Macht Frei" ("Work sets you free").

The motive behind the demonstration was unclear, officials said.

A firecracker was also launched in the car park.

Museum guards immediately intervened and ordered the group to dress. Police attended the site in the southern city of Oswiecim, which was closed to visitors.

The individuals involved are said to be aged 20 to 27, and their identities are unknown.

The seven men and four women included six Poles, four Belarusians and one German, regional police spokesman Sebastian Glen said.

auschwitz.jpg

The demonstrators could be charged with insulting a monument or symbolic place, which may result in a fine or a restriction of liberty, police said.

Local media reported that they used a drone to film the disturbance, and draped a white banner with the red text "love" over the gate.

Some Polish media say the action was a protest against the war in Ukraine, the BBC Warsaw correspondent Adam Easton reports.

In a statement, the Auschwitz museum said: "Using the symbol of Auschwitz for any kind of manifestations or happenings is outrageous and unacceptable. It is disrespectful to the memory of all the victims of the German Nazi Auschwitz concentration and extermination camp".

About 1.1 million people, including one million Jews, were murdered by the Nazis at the camp.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39383988

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

Bad acid?

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

If they are protesting action in the Ukraine (killing) and they kill a sheep...How frickin' stupid is that.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I don't understand the symbolism of the sheep or killing it? I am always in favor of nudity, but that is hardly the place for it. Some of the Polish Press said they were protesting action in the Ukraine, but I don't see how this kind of action is in any manner connected or symbolic of that?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

M first thought is:  Poor sheep!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Yeah and ignorant humans!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I think they did it hoping people would talk about it on discussion forums. Not for me. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

Fucking idiots.