╌>

A Family Of Syrian Refugees Have Launched Canada's Hottest Chocolate Company

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  23 comments

A Family Of Syrian Refugees Have Launched Canada's Hottest Chocolate Company

Article Photo

PEACE BY CHOCOLATE - Long lines regularly form outside of the little shop.

So far, the little chocolate shop on Canada’s east coast has been a big hit, teeming with orders and even hosting a visit from the Canadian Prime Minister.

Hadhad first fell into chocolate-making “by chance,” as Tareq says. Fueled by a sweet tooth, the self-taught chef began borrowing chocolate cookbooks from the Damascus library in the 1980s, and “playing with chocolate whenever he could.” Soon, his father’s hobby morphed into a serious venture.

“He started to create his own recipes,” Tareq goes on. “He started to learn how to roast cocoa beans, make special flavor[s], and mix them with chocolate. He was creating so many different kinds.” By the early 1990s, Assam was running a thriving 30-person chocolate factory in Damascus that exported products across the Middle East and Europe. “We were considered the second [largest] chocolate company in the Middle East,” Tareq explains. “The factory was producing tons of chocolate a day.”

Everything changed in an instant. In 2013, the factory was destroyed by a missile, just minutes after closing for the day.

(Link)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

“We really lost everything,” says Tareq. “We also lost our home — the entire building of [our] family in Damascus was bombed and burned.” Uprooted by “the crazy war,” the Hadhads fled Syria and joined millions of other Syrian refugees in Lebanese refugee camps. It was a heartbreaking decision: most of the Hadhad family had never travelled, or even boarded a plane, let alone sought asylum in a foreign country.

After three long years in the refugee camp, the Hadhads realized that going home may not be an option.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Luckily, in 2015, the family of six was accepted as refugees to Canada. “I was welcomed as [if] Canada was my homeland,” says Tareq. “Everybody was trying to make sure that we are warm, safe, and happy, and we have everything we need to start our life here.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Fake news, everyone knows that Mooslims are all terrorists. /s

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

I recommend Colorado chocolate the Mile Higher mints pack 500 milligrams of THC into one bar. They are fantastic. 

IMG_0403.JPG

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

Why is this so news worthy? 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  magnoliaave   7 years ago
Why is this so news worthy?

I thought you'd never ask!!!

Its possibly because (Newstalkers Surprise Pop-Quiz Alert!)

Choose the best answer:

1. This seed is not about Trump!!!

2. Because Buzz is Canadian and like to discuss things re: his cherished & highly veneered Motherland. His numerous comments on Canada related seeds such as this one add much to NT.

2. Everyone loves chocolate!

3. Health reasons: Cacao, a constituent of Chocolate, is one of the highest known sources of anti-Oxidants in food!

4. People are wondering what immigrants are like. What types of pets do they have? What are their hobbies? What types of clothing (if any) do they wear? Favourite TV shows? Do they actually enjoy rap music? And, perhaps most importantly...what types of strange and exotic foods do they prefer?

5.  Its actually not newsworthy-- well, at least not anymore than some of the other stuff we see on the Internet. So I merely posted it in as a last minute attempt to gain a spot on the vaunted "Liter Board". 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

"highly veneered"?  Well, we DO have a lot of wood.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

"highly veneered"?  Well, we DO have a lot of wood.

Well, that's only one example of the high falutin' language that's becoming more and more common within the hollowed halls of this site which we all love so bigly-- yes, I'm speakin' here of The Newstalkers!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

As I've learned from teaching, when one teaches simplistically to the student with the least ability to understand, the attention of the brighter students is lost. However, when teaching to the student with the greatest ability to understand, the comprehension of the least capable is lost. So much for classrooms, now I teach only one-on-one.  So the big question is, who on NT are we expecting to understand what we write?

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

So the big question is, who on NT are we expecting to understand what we write?

I think that there are people here who actually believe that what they say in their comments will change the minds of other people.

Foolish!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz, why are we talking about this 

in a comment that is related to a misuse or typo error of the spelling "veneered" ? 

I would think the intended word was ''venerated", no?   If not the original comment makes little sense. Veneer is a wood finish and there is no other definition.  Well this 

a superficially valuable or pleasing appearance:

a cruel person with a veneer of kindliness.
============

But that is not applicable in the context either.

Maybe you and Krish would like to leave speculation about other members reading comprehension out of this. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Either you, John, have no sense of humour, or you are not familiar with Krishna's sense of humour and wit, but Krishna was the first friend I made on Newvine when I joined it about a decade ago, and he and I have had great repartee over the years. 

I was aware that Krishna's use of the word "veneer" was intentional and not a typo, and I provided an appropriate comeback to it.

I have NEVER been critical of anyone whose English is not perfect. I make lots of mistakes myself, typos, sometimes grammar errors, omit necessary words, and because in many cases English is not the first language of a person, I have always wished that I could use that person's first language as well as that person used English. 

Do yourself a favour, and bark up another tree.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Oh , so this comment was a joke. Thats nice to know.

As I've learned from teaching, when one teaches simplistically to the student with the least ability to understand, the attention of the brighter students is lost. However, when teaching to the student with the greatest ability to understand, the comprehension of the least capable is lost. So much for classrooms, now I teach only one-on-one.  So the big question is, who on NT are we expecting to understand what we write?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

In the case of the comments between Krishna and myself, obviously not you.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

5.  Its actually not newsworthy-- well, at least not anymore than some of the other stuff we see on the Internet. So I merely posted it in as a last minute attempt to gain a spot on the vaunted "Liter Board".

Liter Board? Oh-- wait a minute. Wait just one gosh-darned minute!

Do they actually use the Metric system in Canada?

Or should I have used the term "Imperial Gallon" instead of "Liter", eh? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

In Canada, as in the UK and throughout the British Commonwealth, that would be "litre" but being literal or literary would not require their spelling to be litreal or litreary.

I think a litre is closer to a quart than a gallon anyway.